WN Cuts Some Long-Haul Routes

You can send your name and employee number if you wish. By the way I thought you had me on ignore?

You guys are the ones that are dying to know.

I do have you on Ignore.

Although, I believe there is hope of redemption for all. So, occasionally, I read your posts, only to discover, Business as usual.

By the way I work at BWI in MX and I resemble George Clooney.

I do have you on Ignore.

Although, I believe there is hope of redemption for all. So, occasionally, I read your posts, only to discover, Business as usual.

By the way I work at BWI in MX and I resemble George Clooney.

you too???? small world.

DCA! DCA! It was DCA and they wanted BWI! Is that?? BOS doesn't have a tunnel, IIRC. However, (he he he) that "tunnel" at DCA is indeed past TSA security....

....Jeeez I created a monster with this thread!

DCA! DCA! It was DCA and they wanted BWI! Is that?? BOS doesn't have a tunnel, IIRC. However, (he he he) that "tunnel" at DCA is indeed past TSA security....
....Jeeez I created a monster with this thread!

... oh wait... hmmmmm, phoney-baloney story, commute to "work" , ratty looking teenagers who act half their age ... no UA base ... Not a WN airport... He's getting confused - it was LHR!

hmmmmm, phoney-baloney story, commute to "work" !

Yep, sure. Anything you don't like is "phoney". Sorry but it happened and it was not LHR! As if you even know where LHR is located or what it looks like on the inside.

Southwest Airlines Announces Plans For Fourth Quarter And 2008 - Quick Facts [LUV]

6/27/2007 11:14:14 AM Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) revealed the plans for its fourth quarter of 2007 and full year 2008. The airline said it would slow its fourth quarter 2007 available seat mile growth and optimize its flight schedule.

Southwest also announced that it now plans to grow its fleet in 2008 by 19 net aircraft, 15 fewer than was previously reported.

Gary Kelly, CEO of Southwest Airlines said, “slowing capacity growth will allow the carrier time to implement and evaluate the effectiveness of several initiatives Southwest intends to launch in fourth quarter 2007.â€￾

"For both fourth quarter 2007 and full year 2008, we currently plan to grow available seat miles (ASMs) year-over-year by approximately six percent, or about two percentage points less than previously reported. We also plan to implement a variety of revenue-enhancing initiatives by the end of 2007 that set the stage for continued profitability into the future," said, Gary Kelly.

Through the elimination of 39 existing roundtrip flights from its current flight schedule, Kelly said Southwest today has added 46 new roundtrip flights in key growth market cities such as Denver and New Orleans.

The company has a variety of options to reduce its fleet growth that it is exploring and currently intends to end 2008 with a total of 539 aircraft.

http://www.rttnews.com/sp/Quickfactsnew.as...07&item=102

I'm not a fan of 5+ hr flights, especially with winter headwinds.
Neither are your passengers fans of the long flights on SWA it seems. Or could it be the parole restrictions prohibit such far flung travel for the average SWA flyer?
I am surprised by the HUGE amount of new flying in Denver.
Why surprised about DEN? F9 is struggling to compete in the low fare arena with SWA at DEN. SWA has too many airplanes to fill and is trying to find alternatives to it's current plan.
Also, congratulations to the BHM-MSY people on the re-instatement of their city pair!! :up:
Oh MY!!! BHM to MSY service!!!! WOW OH WOW, Exciting Stuff for Sure.

Also, congratulations to the BHM-MSY people on the re-instatement of their city pair!! :up:

This resumption leaves MSY-IND/JAX/LAX/OAK as the four remaining pre-hurricane nonstop cities that have not (yet) been resumed.

This resumption leaves MSY-IND/JAX/LAX/OAK as the four remaining pre-hurricane nonstop cities that have not (yet) been resumed.

add PHL and SAN to that, too.

Why surprised about DEN? F9 is struggling to compete in the low fare arena with SWA at DEN.

And UA isn't being affected by this? :huh:

From ATW:

Southwest slows growth, cuts 2008 aircraft deliveries
Thursday June 28, 2007
Southwest Airlines said yesterday that it will slow its growth to contend better with weak economic conditions and fuel costs, lowering capacity growth to 6% from 8% for the 2007 fourth quarter and full-year 2008, dropping unprofitable routes, adding new ones (including five new destinations from Denver) and taking delivery of 19 net aircraft next year instead of the previously planned 34.

Additionally, in what may be a bid to win more business fliers, it will unveil a new "boarding/seating method" in the fourth quarter, replacing its open seating policy.

Speaking to analysts and investors in New York yesterday, CEO Gary Kelly said, "Given the slowing US economy and fuel cost pressures, we are taking these steps to adjust our capacity growth rate, which will help to restore profit growth. If we find that conditions change, we will reevaluate our growth plans for future periods. In this economic environment, we simply need to take less risk and grow more slowly."

The comments were in line with those he made earlier this month at the Merrill Lynch Global Transportation Conference, when he characterized the carrier's 8% growth this year as "too high" in the face of soft demand (ATWOnline, June 14). It is rationalizing its network by eliminating 39 daily flights from its schedule while adding 46 in "key growth markets."

Routes to be dropped in early July include Baltimore-Los Angeles, BWI-Oakland, Chicago Midway-Orange County, Cleveland-Phoenix, LAX-Philadelphia and OAK-PHL. Dropped effective yesterday was El Paso-Midland/Odessa. Services to be added beginning early next month include flights from Denver to Seattle (four-times-daily), Albuquerque (thrice-daily), Amarillo (twice-daily), Austin (daily) and Oklahoma City (twice-daily), plus thrice-daily Birmingham-New Orleans service and a daily OAK-Tucson flight.

Kelly said the airline plans to implement new revenue initiatives by year end, including undisclosed enhancements to its fare structure and loyalty program and a new advertising campaign. "In all, we are targeting more than $1 billion in incremental revenue over the next few years," he said. SWA led the US industry with $93 million in net income in the first quarter (ATWOnline, April 20), but he conceded that the results fell short of expectations and that revenue growth was failing to surmount "cost pressures."

by Aaron Karp

If not for its fuel hedges, Southwest would have lost money during eight of the past 16 financial quarters, according to J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. analyst Jamie Baker. (The company says only five would have been unprofitable, and two "roughly break-even.") As its hedges become less effective, Southwest is facing big jumps in fuel costs -- increases that its largely unhedged rivals were harder hit by several years ago. Last year, Southwest paid about 47% more per gallon of jet fuel on average than in the previous year, while American's per-gallon cost rose about 17%, according to Southwest and American's financial disclosures.

This just in. Uh OH!!! Somebody is talking bad about SWA and it isn't me.

sky high states: Ohhh, it's ONLY J.P. Morgan Chase and Co. "Another" analyst who doesnt know what they're talking about. LOL. :lol:
Here's something fun for you to try...look back at the upgrade/downgrade history for just about any airline stock, along with it's corresponding stock price. Had you followed the advice of these wizards of wall street, you would have invariably bought high and sold low.