Ual And Usair

As for rate of pay my counterpart at Southwest, one with the same seniority as me makes substantially more.

He deserves more too, because he actually works more than you do. I've been at airports where AA and SW are right next to each other and I've watched the FSC's work.

Oneflyer said:
He deserves more too, because he actually works more than you do. I've been at airports where AA and SW are right next to each other and I've watched the FSC's work.
[post="199382"][/post]​
Well at the airport I work at they were right next to us. I saw them work and they would work one flight after another. We talked to them and they said that they try to get about 11 flights a day on each gate (productivity). It is a biproduct of flight scheduling;and who makes the schedules? Hint, it's not baggage handlers. Also they have a lot more people working a flight than we do. By the way, I used to work in DFW and there I would work nonstop, one plane after another. These were the half hourly DFW-ORD flights (23 a day) and we did it with fewer people than Southwest. So AA people can and do work as much as Southwest people. But as stated earlier, it is a byproduct of scheduling.

Oneflyer said:
[post="199382"][/post]​

In addition, on domestic flights, SW has about 8 people working their aircraft for a quick turn. With the next bid (after the layoffs) we will be doing quick turns with 4 people; THATS HALF THE AMOUNT OF SOUTHWEST. Also, if you are an AA employee and think we don't work, I suggest you enroll in the walk a mile program and fly to MIA and work a fully loaded 757 to Guayaquil Equador in the hot humid Miami summer. Try loading 250 bags at 150 lbs. a piece with 4 people to get it out on time. Or are you one of the arrogant types that just sits in their cubicle criticizing others.

aafsc said:
Try loading 250 bags at 150 lbs. a piece with 4 people to get it out on time. Or are you one of the arrogant types that just sits in their cubicle criticizing others.
[post="199403"][/post]​

Now there's something I'd pay money to see -- 37,500 lbs of bags on a 757 heading to GYE...

I'm an arrogant type who sits in their cubicle, but rather than criticize, I get to measure stuff, including things like the average and peak number of bags on a 757 headed to GYE out of MIA.

The max bags on a GYE trip year to date was just over 23K#, so while 37K# would be quite a feat, it would also require one heck of a payload restriction to accommodate that much weight in the belly...

Assuming 1.1 bag per pax into GYE, the average bag weight is somewhere around 60lbs, and 1.1 bag/pax is probably on the low side...

But I digress...

Isn't staffing being set up with four clerks and a working CC? As much time as I've spent watching onload/offload, this doesn't seem as impossible as you make it out to be. Some cities already do this.

With the next bid (after the layoffs) we will be doing quick turns with 4 people

No you won't. AA doesn't staff 4 people for a 757 minimum ground time turn, you're just making that up or its something the union told you to get you all riled up. Maybe its 4 plus a CC to load the plane, but you're not including the lav/water guy, the outbound driver, or cargo runner, and you probably have a seperate cabin cleaning crew. The minimum ground time for a 757 is roughly 50 minutes, frankly you ought to be able unload and load a plane in that amount of time, especially one that has rollers in the belly.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Now there's something I'd pay money to see -- 37,500 lbs of bags on a 757 heading to GYE...

I'm an arrogant type who sits in their cubicle, but rather than criticize, I get to measure stuff, including things like the average and peak number of bags on a 757 headed to GYE out of MIA.

The max bags on a GYE trip year to date was just over 23K#, so while 37K# would be quite a feat, it would also require one heck of a payload restriction to accommodate that much weight in the belly...

Assuming 1.1 bag per pax into GYE, the average bag weight is somewhere around 60lbs, and 1.1 bag/pax is probably on the low side...

But I digress...

Isn't staffing being set up with four clerks and a working CC? As much time as I've spent watching onload/offload, this doesn't seem as impossible as you make it out to be. Some cities already do this.
[post="199413"][/post]​

First, you are right about the weights in the aircraft but we sometimes have 3 to 5 carts that are left behind, so the poor soul in the bagroom has to load all these bags in a cart. The bags are big and heavy and the airplanes are almost always cubed out. But I have also worked the inbound from GYE and I can tell you we get a lot of heavy freight. The back end was full of freight and they weighed 150 lbs. a piece (I read the freight tags). The front had bags. Where I am at now, the 4 includes a crew chief ( 3 clerks and 1 working crew chief). And sometimes, because of sick calls or injuries, we work with a crew chief and 2, until someone can be held on OT.
I was trying to illustrate to oneflyer that, even though we might work less flights, the amount and weights of the bags to our international destinations more than makes up for the fact that we might work a couple less flights than Southwest. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Oneflyer said:
No you won't. AA doesn't staff 4 people for a 757 minimum ground time turn, you're just making that up or its something the union told you to get you all riled up. Maybe its 4 plus a CC to load the plane, but you're not including the lav/water guy, the outbound driver, or cargo runner, and you probably have a seperate cabin cleaning crew. The minimum ground time for a 757 is roughly 50 minutes, frankly you ought to be able unload and load a plane in that amount of time, especially one that has rollers in the belly.
[post="199422"][/post]​

First, I am no longer in MIA. I'm now in a line station and with the budget cuts coming (layoffs) we were told it will be a crew chief and 3. And in the station I'm at, we do get 757s. I worked with a crew chief and 2 the other day until the other shift ended and someone could be held on OT.
What I told about in MIA is from when I worked there. And we would have a crew chief and 4, sometimes crew chief and 3. I can clearly remember that GYE flight. I remember unloading that heavy freight (150 lbs.) with another clerk. (At that time the 757s didnot have the magic carpet) anyway the freight was in A2. And at the bottom of the bellt was one person trying to hoist these 150 lb. boxes in a cart. He could only stack them 2 high because they were so heavy. Needless to say, he had to use about 10 carts. Talking to people from MIA, they tell me it is the same.

Former ModerAAtor said:
As much time as I've spent watching onload/offload, this doesn't seem as impossible as you make it out to be.
[post="199413"][/post]​

It looks like we need to hire some more people to measure and watch.