heritage planes

So you would advocate reducing available seats PHL-PHX by 22% so that we could only run one full flight instead of two?

Not necessarily.

But we all know that at US Airways, "full flights" is not synonymous with "making money".

I would be curious to see the yield vs. operating cost of flying two Airbii to PHX as opposed to, say, one 757.

Sure, you may leave people behind, but are you really leaving revenue behind?

And are those full 767's garnering more yield carrying the flip-flop crowd to the islands than they would be carrying a mix of leisure/business travelers out west?

Please understand, I'm not asking these questions to be facetious. I really would like to know. I do very much appreciate your and others' participation here.

The input here from various departments -- and especially customers -- is invaluable, and, every so often, even provides an answer to that age-old airline question, "What in the hell are they thinking?"

PA18

I completely agree. We have always had an asset problem at US. We never have the right size airplane for the right mission. I also agree that fares are higher PHL-PHX then they are PHL-CUN on average. Most of that is due to the fact that CUN is a more leisure destination and PHX will generate more business type ticekts.

One thing that you have to remember is that it isn't always all about about people and revenue, but there is a cargo factor to account for. There is a lot of cargo that comes out of CUN/SJU that also generate revenue. I wish I had access to those numbers, but I am sure someone in a cube somewhere does and makes the best choices for the assets that we have available.

Hopefully they will be able to find a way to get the right sized airplane for the right mission.

Latest posts