My worst fears...

IT_Traveler

Jun 7, 2006
Once again I must assault this board with a rant...

During the three weeks I was unable to log in to the website I was also unable to purchase a ticket without logging on if I used my DM number in the checkout process.

So I called the phone number for reservations four times for four different trips I needed to make. Two of my calls were very pleasant and two of my calls were crappy. Every time I get connected to Tempe things are great and I don't pay the 5.00 fee because of my DM/FF status of Gold. The other two were a pain as the person was very hard to understand and insisted on charging me the 5.00 fee and acted as if I was an idiot for not knowing about the 5.00 fee. These calls were routed to call centers in foreign countries.

So I'm trying to do my expense reports and I see these 5.00 charges on my corporate card. I decide to see if I can have them reversed and I call. I get connected to Raleigh Durham and talk to a super named Daniel. He tells me I have to pay the fee but I can call the refunds dept and ask for a reversal due the site being hosed. When I ask him about why I sometimes have to pay and others times not, all he could say was 'well they work off different tiers out there in Tempe'. What?
So can someone answer me this, does a Gold member have to pay the fee or not?

Why are customer service reps not on the same page?

It. Once again let me apologize for the crappy service. 50 percent customer service doesnt cut it with me. Let me explain. If you are able to book online and you choose to call in to make a reservation silver and gold preferred will pay the 5.00. That is new. That just started with the new dm program. Chairman and Platinum do not pay even if calling in. If you try to book on the web and its US issue they should waive the 5.00 booking fee. Ask for it. If the agent refuses get a sup-Tempe, whereever you are calling, its not your fault that you cannot conduct your business online. Do not pay it. If you reach an outsourced agent call back and req west agent. Unfortunately, phx has always had more flexibility when waiving fees than the east. Different companies have different rules and we are still not 1 company, no matter what they say. East CSD agents have had a sricter parameter of what they can do and once we are fully on quik/shares I think they will like being able to make good business decisions, try to find the win-win. Helping a customer change flights due to an emergency and waiving fees can be a win win. Sometimes, the change they need to make will move them from an overbooked flight to a wide open flight. Why not? The customer is grateful and the company benefits. Sometimes, they wish to move to an overbooked flight and the CSD agent may say no. Why would they waive fees and have to give out a voucher, not good business sense but they can also offer different solutions. Different city or time. Too many people believe the airlines should have bereavement fares and are upset to hear we dont. Unfortunately, many, many, many people call and we advise check the web for a last minute fare if they dont want to pay what we have to offer. The airline is not a charity. (one of my pet peeves is too be told I have no compassion because I cant give them a lower fare-not true.) As much as you know about this company Im surprised that you ask why we are not on the same page. POOR COMMUNICATION! Lack of training, no recurrent training and too much turnover. Way too many new agents. Too many quit and managment has no people skills and do not want to retain employees. Cheaper to higher new than pay senior agents. They dont think much of what we do until they have a customer service nightmare. Sorry, I cant be of more help. Its a truly sad situation.

Thanks Mama, you clearly work in Tempe...

From a customer perspective, I've always enjoyed US flights and flight crews. But the people (the majority) on the phone are terrible - always have been and continue to be... I'll keep hoping my favorite airline isn't gone forever.

Last December, shortly after the official merger, a west employee called east to check the loads for a non-rev flight on east metal and was told, "I can't tell you that information because you do not work for US Airways." Huh? :lol:

I cannot imagine the customer service horror stories that go unreported... :shock:

Hopefully, Doug & the boys will realize (and not too late) that when you're selling a commodity like cheap air travel that the only difference is SERVICE.

I for one am tired of giving the "pardon our dust" apology. Seems to be lack of communication which is something that does not really surprise me. With Parkers visit today he is going to hear an earful. I will wonder if he will be hearing or listening. We on the east side have employees doing jobs with little experiance in handling. We have new hires doing Chairmans backup. Would not be surprised to see our CSD desk also do this even though this department is holding 30-40 calls on hold to assit agents or take the irates. Usual hold time to get through to CSD is 15 to 20minutes during the daytime. Granted we have been getting calls from the westside that should be handled on the westside, but more than likely it is the same thing happening at PHX and RNO from the eastside. Amazing if we had ONE computer system instead of using TWO. What amazes me is that it is the employees that suffer the brunt of this, not management. What is really amazing is that during the AL/PI merger things on the rez side did go much smoother. This IMHO is no more than a cluster...well you know what the next word is. The worst part is the ones that are suffering are our passengers. That is UNACCEPTABLE in my book PERIOD!!!!! If the passengers suffer....YOU HAVE NO COMPANY!!!! I keep telling myself it will get better...but when. To all that travel with us I say THANK YOU!!!! To my fellow employees who are putting up with this mess and continue to do the best job they can I again say THANK YOU!!!!! This one res agent and I am sure I speak for others if you call we will ALWAYS provide you with the best service that WE can!!!!

Ffrom one rez agent(west) to another(east), Thank you for your concern for our customers. Its nice to know Im not alone in what I consider a fight to give quality customer service. Keep up the good work and maybe someday it will get better.(Hopefully.) Mama

I just had some outstanding customer service while getting those charges removed from my card. I wonder if the moderators of this board will let me start naming names when I get great service... It's time we recognize these people that really care.

That is what I am doing when I get good customer service. I ask their name and how I can identify them when sending an email to US about their great service. I have received replies that the positive comments will be added to their permandent file. I also on very few occasions have written when given terrible service. But I have to say, I write more the positives than negatives.. and have had some excellent WEST and EAST FAs.....

First, thank you for taking the time to send an email for your customer srvice treatmnet, good and bad. Without knowing about the bad nothing will be done to help it improve. The employees feel good when they receive notice that you have taken the time to do this. It makes them feel good about what they do regardless of the campanies treatment of them.(My writing is awful, excuse me.) Unfortunately, it seems enough customers are not sending in the bad, with names attached to let management know where the issues are. Although I am not into employee bashing, if some of these employees know they will be reported and followed up with, there may be less of these employees still employed with the company or attitudes and customer service may improve. I have always been much appreciative of any positive feedback I have received and I am sure they also appreciate it. Dont forget about those Above and Beyond coupons, giving them in person can better than "getting lost in the mail."

Just a couple things: on the East side, the $5 tkt fee is not new. Been there for at least 18 months. We have always waived it for Chairman's Members, and now for Platinum, as well. There was a res bulletin shortly after the new website went live that the $5 should be waived if a customer indicated they were unable to book online. So you should not have been charged that fee, and I apologize.
Once the $5 has been charged, there is no one in the reservations hierarchy (and again, I'm talking about the East side) who can refund the charge. Not that we don't have the authority; we can authorize the refund, but it has to be processed by accounting. (The exception would be if we receive the request the same day we issued the charge- then we MAY be able to.)
Also, there's no res office in RDU; you must be thinking of Winston-Salem, but I don't believe we have a supe named Daniel. I'm thinking you may have been speaking with Manila.
Lastly, thank you so much for sticking with us!