New Ceo Says Us Airways Can Grow

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
New CEO says US Airways can grow

Lakefield indicated he wasn't at the helm simply to preen the airline so that the Alabama pension funds could cash out

PITTSBURGH (Tribune-Review) - Bruce Lakefield, the new chief executive of US Airways, ended his first week on the job with a message to employees: Let's leverage US Airways' strength on the East Coast and start making money again.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Just one more point...

The Tribune Review article said, "In addition to becoming chief executive Monday, Lakefield was named president by the airline, which neglected to publicize the additional title, said spokesman Dave Castelveter. The oversight led some to conclude the president's post was open."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

We were told by management that the airline may get more airplanes, but that the "plan" that will be presented has modicfications to the contracts that would NOT create a "recall" of employees...

Have anything to say about that FACT, USA320???? Don't mislead by posting articles that only spell half truths.

PITBull:

I take offense to your comment. I posted specific information, but as you and everybody else know, the plan requires LCC type productivity.

The intent is to average down unit costs by increasing the productivity of people, aircraft, and facilities. Do I like it? Know, but it's the way of the future, if there is one.

Regardless, Bronner told union representatives last week that the restructuring will go forward "with or without employees."

I understand that Lakefield may try one more time to negotiate with the unions, however, there is growing speculation the company has laid the groundwork for a pre-packaged Chapter 11 filing. If it occurs, the airline may preserve the equity and then seek to reject airport gate, facility lease, and union agreements. Then the company can ask the court to impose new agreements on the unions, therefore, all the complaining in the world may not matter.

ALPA has been told to expect the America West pilot contract, therefore, that may be the benchmark for other employee groups as well.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

How can U prepackage a BK filing when the ATSB convenants don't permit a BK?

It would have to be a forced BK and that would surely mean liquidation.

If Management tries to pull another BK on employees, the airline will just implode. If abrogation of agreements occur, labor will have an opportunity to negotiate in BK, if it doesn't work, than we will ALL BE PERMITTED TO BE RELEASED TO SELF HELP WHICH INCLUDES JOB ACTIONS.

Then everyone loses. So what's the point, OR yours???

The company will just have to liquidate if they pull a BK threat or decide to actually dance into BK.

WE ALL KNOW THIS BY NOW!!!

USA320Pilot said:
PITBull:

I take offense to your comment. I posted specific information, but as you and everybody else know, the plan requires LCC type productivity.

The intent is to average down unit costs by increasing the productivity of people, aircraft, and facilities. Do I like it? Know, but it's the way of the future, if there is one.

Regardless, Bronner told union representatives last week that the restructuring will go forward "with or without employees."

I understand that Lakefield may try one more time to negotiate with the unions, however, there is growing speculation the company has laid the groundwork for a pre-packaged Chapter 11 filing. If it occurs, the airline may preserve the equity and then seek to reject airport gate, facility lease, and union agreements. Then the company can ask the court to impose new agreements on the unions, therefore, all the complaining in the world may not matter.

ALPA has been told to expect the America West pilot contract, therefore, that may be the benchmark for other employee groups as well.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
well i for one may be able to live on America West type but what will happen to the cities such as abe avp dtw, srq and pwm etc that went mainline express? is there any hope that will be converted back to mainline if we do adopt the america west type of deal?

TheLarkAscending said:
PITbull foretold that eons ago here.
Thanks Lark :D ,

I would never have been able to find that in all my posts. I even lose track. LOL

AFA has told us that America West has one of the worst contracts in AFA.

Hell, they were the first to get the ATSB loan guarantee, and the BK judge didn't take one concessions from the f/as...that's a true fact!

Not only that, but the cost of living in AZ is WAY lower than here on the East Coast. I know, because I've lived in both areas. I would estimate the cost of housing to be AT LEAST 50% higher in larger east coast cities. If management tries to pull a "Siegel" and hit labor with something like a prepackaged chapter 11 it would undoubtedly result in the liquidation of UAIR. After the previous lesson, we ALL know that agreements don't just get abrogated because of chapter 11. The legal fights would be so fierce that NONE of the assets would likely be able to be sold for decades, not to mention that ALL the cash on hand would be returned to the ATSB loan providers. I guess RSA would wind up with some airplanes it could lease to another airline, but it would lose just about everything else.

PITBull:

PITBUll said: How can U prepackage a BK filing when the ATSB convenants don't permit a BK? It would have to be a forced BK and that would surely mean liquidation. If Management tries to pull another BK on employees, the airline will just implode. If abrogation of agreements occur, labor will have an opportunity to negotiate in BK, if it doesn't work, than we will ALL BE PERMITTED TO BE RELEASED TO SELF HELP WHICH INCLUDES JOB ACTIONS. Then everyone loses. So what's the point, OR yours???

USA320Pilot comments: The ATSB owns 10% of US Airways and thus would have to agree to restructure the loan guarantee covenants. It's unclear whether or not the Board would take such action, but they have agreed to restructure the loan guarantee before.

In regard to a job action, you're correct that could occur. However, in my opinion in the end labor will agree with management because it's the best option for the majority of the employees.

If not than the company could fragment or liquidate, but one thing is certain. To compete as a stand-alone carrier the company must lower unit costs to LCC levels to compete. Can it occur? Maybe, maybe not, I truly do not know.

Meanwhile, I'm now prepared to go on with life without US Airways and I suggest you may want to do so too…because…Bronner said the restructuring will occur "with or without employees".

Respectfully

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
…Bronner said the restructuring will occur "with or without employees".

Respectfully

USA320Pilot
He also said there wasn’t enough time to replace Siegel then turns around and fires him. It sure looks like he is a man of solid integrity :down:

Captain: For a man all prepared for life after U you sure beg your fellow co-workers to sacrifice themselves to the Bronner God.

USA320,

Just curious to what exactly that means, "With, or without the employees".

I think he might be smart enough to know that you can't operate any airline business without employees, after all, we aren't a "Mutual Fund".

His threatening statments can only mean to resructure in BK....and he must be willing to lose it all, just like we are. He has less at risk, so he's all about EGO, any plane jane can see.

As far as YOUR statement, "that labor in the end will concede, because it is in the best interest of the employees".....many of the employees are astute enough to know that the "Going Foward Plan", doesn't include them....but those employees will also be included in any VOTE.

Just FYI for you to chew.

Ya, know, when I read all of this about the New Plan Forward, and Mr. Lakefield ,and Mr. Bronner, and the Team is still the same, and all that they have been saying..... I get a picture in my mind of a bunch of DELETED BY MODERATOR scrambling around the Board Room and their CCY offices, when not playing with themselves are scratching their heads. :shock: :shock:

Latest posts