New LCC Name

AAG2000

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
According to the Airliners.net message boards, the name is (drumroll, please)...
...JetSet.
If that's true (and I make no guarantee that it is), then I guess it's better than Song. Sounds an awful lot like JetBlue, though, not to mention the Canadian airline Jetsgo. I smell a trademark infringement suit.

Funny, if it is true?

jetBlue is then going to start a express op called: DeltaSmelta

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 1:07:00 PM AAG2000 wrote:

If that's true (and I make no guarantee that it is), then I guess it's better than "Song." Sounds an awful lot like JetBlue, though, not to mention the Canadian airline Jetsgo. I smell a trademark infringement suit.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Until we hear an official announcement, I would not believe any name. However, if it is Jetset, I would be willing to bet Delta's lawyers have thoroughly researched the trademark issue. Besides, we are in the airline business, its not that unusual to have the word "Jet" in your name.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/17/2003 6:30:55 PM coolflyingfool wrote:
[P]I was hoping it would be SONG. I wanted to see jetBlue and SONG slug it out for the NEIL DIAMOND song "SONG SUNG BLUE". Oh well, I suppose that won't happen now.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P][BR] LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately it is Song. Someone should be fired over this name. How many millions did we piss away on this name and another hedious paint job. It's LIME GREEN

I personally dont't care what they call it as long as they can attain a casm of 8 cents. Personally, I think the name is catchy.

Clearly a hideous paint job didn't keep Southwest from being a success. Maybe they were thinking, "Hey, we need to have ugly, but highly recognizable, planes too!"

It sounds like they have some interesting ideas for the product they're going to be offering; it just remains to be seen if they'll manage to execute well. It'll also be interesting to see if Song decides to take another page out of jetBlue's book by offering red-eyes to/from the numerous airports DL serves on the West Coast.

Y'know, I was very quick to criticize the name "Song" when I first heard about it, but now that I see the whole concept, maybe some marketing folks were doing their homework after all.

Yes, it's an unconventional name, but it's also one that's entirely different from anything else flying out there, and one that is likely to stick in people's heads. The planes may be hideous, but as sfb correctly pointed out, that never stopped Southwest.

More important, it looks like the whole operation has been very carefully thought out--in effect, it's attempting to do everything JetBlue does and, in many cases, one up them. Not only do they have live TV, but they have more bells and whistles--mp3's, and even games that can be played between passengers (don't underestimate this--lots of parents travel to Florida with bored kiddies). There's even a trendy "Survivor" element, with the option to "vote off" unpopular amenities via the website. Throw in legroom to rival MRTC (or close, anyway), and it sounds like a pretty good product to me.

Selling food onboard is another great idea, one that I liked as soon as I heard America West was going to try it. And from what I've heard, it's looking pretty successful (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/business/28ROAD.html).

Finally, I think the 757 is a great choice of aircraft. Any route within North America will be easily doable, as will leisure routes to the Caribbean and even Hawaii should Delta decide to take that path someday. And if they ever need more capacity, the 757-300 has even lower seat-mile costs.

This one will be interesting to watch. As has been mentioned before, this could have huge long-term potential for Delta. If they can make a profit against JetBlue and AirTran on the east coast, we might see a similar product--maybe with modifications, maybe not--throughout the whole Delta system.

I for one am impressed that the folks at DL are the first among the majors to have the balls to make a significant change in the status quo. Something needs to be done to head off the record losses. I wasn't particularly happy with the Skymiles changes, because of teh wya they affect my travel. But I can see how even that is important. This Song thing is looking better and better every time I look at it. I wonder if the ultimate plan is to ultimately do away with "regular" mainline altogether domestically.... Perhaps they will move to provide some sort of "Economy +" type product in combination with Song's revolutionary ideas to do away with F class for good on domestic flights. It may also stem the growth of RJ's.

I agree--that's what it looks like. If this works--i.e., if they can keep costs down, and hold their own against JetBlue--then everyone will be happy. Passengers will be happy with low fares and cool amenities, management will be happy with the profits, and the pilots will be happy that their wages stay the same and that the company is putting money into 757's instead of RJ's. There's no question that it's a big "if," but I commend Delta for trying something that goes miles beyond any of the halfhearted low-fare airline-within-an-airline (including DLX) that we've seen before.