New Merger Routes

HVN is supposed to be capped at 180,000 passengers per year, but even so that would be 493 a day so it is doable with a couple 170/175 flights in addition to the PHL flights. CLT-HVN or ORD-HVN might be good as long as it doesn't bleed too much from BDL.
I'm not sure CLT-MUC will work once we leave Star. It does good now, but it's a lot of connecting traffic. Maybe moving/adding a CLT-TXL flight to connect with AirBerlin will work in the future. Not too familiar with them so not sure how they are, but they do offer a couple of US flights already. I would hope though that it would be flown on AA metal and not theirs. Maybe CLT-MUC would work with a 767, even if it's only seasonal?
I don't know about total Florida-Hawaii traffic, but I can say that what I'm aware of from our one flight that connects to the islands, we do a fair amount of traffic. Even though Florida is tropical, people still want to go to Hawaii to get married or to go to a convention or just to relax. Not sure that a MIA or CLT flight to Hawaii is in the future, especially with good connections offered via DFW/PHX/LAX.

I wonder too how many longhaul flights could be added from LAX to connect to the East coast overflying the hubs, even if they are late night West/redeyes East? That would be perfect connecting times for flights heading to Asia late at night with a connection back East same evening and the planes would be sitting overnight on the ground for the most part anyway otherwise.

Also as a side note, what the h%%% is up with all the snarkyness recently here? This should be a simple easy going fun topic to discuss and some of you yahoos want to corrupt it too? We get it, you have issues. Deal with it, but must you infect every thread? That's one of the reasons that I don't come here as often as I used to. I can't stand the bitchiness and issues that some of you dredge up in every thread no matter what the topic is being discussed.

Reactions: 2 people
Doesn't seem like many folks in the Carib. , Latin or South America would be interested in HNL. If I'm in the Northeast, I'd rather go through ORD, DFW, IAH or the west coast to HNL. A successful hub needs O and D traffic also. Think many Floridians would be interested in Hawaii?

If I'm on the Eastern Seaboard, and want to get away, why fly all the way to HNL, when I can be in the Carib. in about 1/3 the time?

If I'm in route planning, I probably wouldn't tie up an A330 or 2 flying to HNL when I can deploy them on higher yielding routes.

FWIW, I like the idea(s) of expansion into smaller cities. Not as glamorous as some of the cities mentioned in this thread, but more interesting to me...

HVN is supposed to be capped at 180,000 passengers per year, but even so that would be 493 a day so it is doable with a couple 170/175 flights in addition to the PHL flights. CLT-HVN or ORD-HVN might be good as long as it doesn't bleed too much from BDL.
I'm not sure CLT-MUC will work once we leave Star. It does good now, but it's a lot of connecting traffic. Maybe moving/adding a CLT-TXL flight to connect with AirBerlin will work in the future. Not too familiar with them so not sure how they are, but they do offer a couple of US flights already. I would hope though that it would be flown on AA metal and not theirs. Maybe CLT-MUC would work with a 767, even if it's only seasonal?
I don't know about total Florida-Hawaii traffic, but I can say that what I'm aware of from our one flight that connects to the islands, we do a fair amount of traffic. Even though Florida is tropical, people still want to go to Hawaii to get married or to go to a convention or just to relax. Not sure that a MIA or CLT flight to Hawaii is in the future, especially with good connections offered via DFW/PHX/LAX.

I wonder too how many longhaul flights could be added from LAX to connect to the East coast overflying the hubs, even if they are late night West/redeyes East? That would be perfect connecting times for flights heading to Asia late at night with a connection back East same evening and the planes would be sitting overnight on the ground for the most part anyway otherwise.

Also as a side note, what the h%%% is up with all the snarkyness recently here? This should be a simple easy going fun topic to discuss and some of you yahoos want to corrupt it too? We get it, you have issues. Deal with it, but must you infect every thread? That's one of the reasons that I don't come here as often as I used to. I can't stand the bitchiness and issues that some of you dredge up in every thread no matter what the topic is being discussed.

The 180,000 would not be enforceable in court. The same agreement also limits the flight count to 30 daily flights which turns out to be slightly less than 17 passengers per flight. Not doable for any airline or aircraft. The HVN market is wide open for a carrier willing to provide much needed service which also was a few years ago listed as the most underserved airport in the country.
From 1991 to 1996 UA operated 4 737 daily flights to ORD. The reason for the demise of the service was not lack of ridership, it was runway obstructions that over the years had grown to reduce usable runway length at times to 4600 feet and meant passengers deplaned due to weight restrictions. Twice NW had shown interest in serving HVN with flights to DTW, once with DC-9s and once with 50 seat CRJ's. Both times it was the restricted runway that killed the proposal. With 1000 runway overruns at both ends of the runway and hundreds of trees cut and utility poles relocated, the runway is in the best shape ever and just waiting for a carrier to see and experience the potential of an airport offering a large pool of passengers who are tired of trekking off to bradley field almost in Massachusetts or the long trip to LGA using the parking lot known as I-95.

It's still your bad. US already serves FRA from CLT and has for years. Lufthansa does not. The Lufthansa route the poster was referring to is CLT to MUC.

Try to keep up.
Given the likelyhood of LCC exiting the market in the future due to its departure from Star, I suspect other hubs will see the addition of FRA long before it is re-instated in CLT.

The first and third US routes LH began A380 serive on were JFK and MIA. What does this tell you? Where's the money?

I'll be surprised if FRA and MUC are operated via CLT once operations are combined.

p.s. I'll try to keep up.. For years it was easy.. but boring after a couple of minutes.

There are apparently a large number of German firms with plants in the CLT-area, and since it's unlikely that those German companies will abandon LH in favor of the new AA, it's entirely possible that LH will continue to fly to CLT if (and that's a big if) there is sufficient CLT O&D business traffic to/from Germany. LH has the benefit of its German hubs even though it won't have same-alliance connectivity at CLT once US exits *A and joins Oneworld. Same situation as all those BA flights to LHR from cities like PHX, PHL, SFO, SEA, etc. Before this merger, none of those cities provided any AA connections, but those flights subsisted on the O&D from those cities to London (plus connections beyond London).

Unless the new AA pulls off a huge coup, and steals away those German companies from LH and *A, it's unlikely that CLT will have any AA-metal to Germany. I can see PHL keeping flights to FRA and/or MUC and FRA does offer pretty convenient train connections throughout Germany from the on-site train station. AA previously code-shared with the rail network.

CLT-FRA is very profitable, going to two flights a day and LH use to fly an 747 Combi, FRA-CLT-IAH-CLT-FRA, and US flew it on a 767-200ER and US chased LH out of CLT as well as BA too, BA use to CLT-LGW and failed also.

and with LH even them being part of Star and AA OW that does not mean the we can interline with them. I still see LH coming to CLT maby not with the -600 but sill be there. I see BA coming so CLT with there small widebody AC and with the new 787 in 2014 (ithink) we can use it to PHX-LHR i know ba flys that but BA also fly PHL-LHR and soon to be AA will be as well. I see PHX growing in the west bc it will be a big part of the route network. I would like to see PHX-ITO. i will also go out on a lim and see we will see widebodys HUB-HUB that you dont see 2day. CLT-PHX PHL-PHX CLT-MIA PHL-MIA PHX-ORD PHX-DFW PHX-MIA. i see PHX going into markets like MSO, BZN, FAR, RAP, BACK TO MFR AND EUG. I wish that i can go on but i need to go for now:)

LH does serve CLT but im not sure if they go to FRA or MUC we frequently get bags interline for that flight and LH does PHL to FRA as we also get a lot of interline connections for that

I see many AA employees don't have a clue about CLT. In their typical AArogance, they see Hootervile not the large international business base:

http://charlotteusa.com/business-info/international-business/germany/

And here a some Brazilian companies in the area:

http://charlotteusa.com/business-info/international-business/brazil/

Here is some more info for our uninformed brethern:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2012/09/so-how-did-charlotte-become-a-banking.html?page=all

I could go on and on, but the uninformed arrogant tend to prefer to stay that way.

I see many AA employees don't have a clue about CLT. In their typical AArogance, they see Hootervile not the large international business base:

In post #36, I covered the German firms. Apparently, lots of them in the CLT area, as I posted in post #36. Thanks for the numbers. However, if anybody thinks that German business execs will abandon LH and *A so they can fly the new AA to and from CLT, they should report for an immediate drug test. The new AA ain't going to lure them away. Accordingly, LH may continue to fly to CLT from one or more of its German hubs, if there's sufficient O&D. But those German business execs are going to be as loyal as they can to LH the way British banking execs tend to be loyal to BA and AA from London. If you subtract all those German business execs, there likely won't be anywhere near enough traffic for AA flights from CLT to Germany. They'll all want to fly (and will likely continue to fly) LH. That's the way the world works.

I could go on and on, but the uninformed arrogant tend to prefer to stay that way.

Those nine Brazilian firms probably won't provide sufficient O&D to Brazil to prevent those flights from migrating to PHL, if the new AA gets to keep them. With AA's dominance from USA-Brazil, the new AA may have to give those frequencies (at least to GRU) to competitors. Look for UA and DL to squawk about them.

Latest posts