Next new destinations?

NYCDelta

Senior
Dec 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Rumor has it Delta will be announcing more new destinations from JFK. There is to be a media event this month in New York, where the new "branding" will also be unveiled. A complete revamp of the antiquated Pan Am "worldport", to the tune of $25 million, is scheduled to be completed by June 1.
Anyway, Zagreb and Cairo are supposedly 2 of the cities being looked at. We're also hearing Tel Aviv, since the ATL-TLV is doing better than projected. This could explain Friday's announcement of an additional 300 F/A recalls to NYC, on top of the 1,250 who've already accepted this year. Maybe we've finally turned the corner! :)

Rumor has it Delta will be announcing more new destinations from JFK. There is to be a media event this month in New York, where the new "branding" will also be unveiled. A complete revamp of the antiquated Pan Am "worldport", to the tune of $25 million, is scheduled to be completed by June 1.
Anyway, Zagreb and Cairo are supposedly 2 of the cities being looked at. We're also hearing Tel Aviv, since the ATL-TLV is doing better than projected. This could explain Friday's announcement of an additional 300 F/A recalls to NYC, on top of the 1,250 who've already accepted this year. Maybe we've finally turned the corner! :)

Zagreb?!? I spent 5 days there last summer and a total of 21 days in Croatia. During that time I saw and met very few American tourists. To me that would be a surprising destination. Additionally the Croatian economy is so-so at best. Unemployment is pretty high by US standards. (17%) Also Zagreb is pretty far from the main tourists destinations of Croatia. There were many more tourists along the coast. On the other hand Croatia is supposed to be one of the next "In" travel spots. I loved it and would go back again. It was inexpensive and the food and beer was great!

.... A complete revamp of the antiquated Pan Am "worldport", to the tune of $25 million, is scheduled to be completed by June 1....
:)

$25 million is a drop in the bucket of what is needed for a "complete revamp" of that POS terminal. I avoid it like the plague.

While not really a new destination, anybody else hear the rumours about a new US "international gateway" joining Atlanta, Los Angeles, and New York City?th

SYD or CAI

It is not a new international destination, but a new US airport that will become an international gateway for Delta. The announcement is set for Friday. Delta isn't afraid of the "Big Bad Wolf"...

I think I can rule out BOS as a near term international gateway. There has been nothing out of our manager about adding more flights. We have lost a bunch of mechanics to the ATL recall and they do not seem to be in a rush to fill the openings.

I know the speculation over at Anet has been MIA, but I wonder about that. Any international gateway will require a Line Maintenance station. A year ago we closed MIA and ORD. There are three new staions getting geared up. SAV and CHS ofcourse wouldn't be in the running for international but BWI?

Today's announcement of Ft. Lauderdale-Santo Domingo service is a big strike against the rumoured Miami announcement. Though why does the FLL-SDQ plane sit on the ground for ten hours? :huh: This can likely mean two things: that they are going to shift around the ATL/JFK schedules or that the Miami rumours just might be true, and FLL-SDQ is entirely independent.

Back