No Entry Allowed!

Received: 01/19/04 22:04:33 EST
Name: Bill Schneider
E-Mail:
Employer: NWA
It seems that this board has been bombarded with the old anti-AMFA arguments. This is exactly what happened when we were confronted with another IAMAW concessionary tentative agreement. We voted that T/A down. The AMFA grass roots drive then seemed to take hold.

The AMFA is no panacea. Just because you vote in the AMFA does not mean you can sit on your butt and expect miracles to happen. This is a democratic union. Get involved, be active, and most of all, be professional.

As Aircraft Maintenance Technicians the only way we will further our profession is to be the professionals we are. We must not portray the image of the industrial union thug. If we are to be treated as professionals, we must act as such. At NWA we have fostered a new image for the Technician and Related.

NWA has used every possible method to reduce our headcount. They will continue to reduce the rank and file employees who refuse to pull their own weight. They have violated the agreement at times and when they have the AMFA has had those violations overturned via arbitration.

Northwest Airlines will continue to try to shed the in house work that can be done by third party outfits. If NWA can have a seat overhauled by a contractor who pays their workers $12.00/hr, why would they keep that work in house? I believe NWA is following the Continental Airlines model. I can’t fault NWA for doing this. The executives are focusing on reducing costs. They feel that this is the best way to reduce maintenance costs. I disagree. I am not in the position to change the way NWA does business. The TWU and their OSM classification have prevented those jobs from ever being performed by AMT's again.

NWA has focused on the Airline customer. Aircraft maintenance is a cost center. Richard Anderson (NWA’s CEO) has said that we are in the Airline business, not the aircraft maintenance business. NWA wants to have only Line Maintenance and light check work done in house. As long as there is third party contractors to perform the heavy check work with unlicensed mechanics, all airlines will utilize the low wage option. As it stands, contractors for half the cost are doing most back shop work by utilizing unlicensed techs under a repair station license.
As professional AMT's we must unite and aim for a common goal. Certificated technicians must perform any and all maintenance done on aircraft and the parts attached to them. This will never happen under the catchall industrial unions such as the TWU/IAMAW. They want to keep the most dues dollars flowing. If that means creating b-scale, c-scale…. that will be the goal. The industrial unions would much rather have 2000 AMT’s and 4000 OSM’s than to have 4000 professional well paid AMT’s. That is because they need the strength in numbers for their finances. The greater the number, the more dues flow. -------

compliments of the-mechanic

The more you look the more you can see amfa's philosophy, let farmouts continue until all heavy maintenance is gone. Sounds like amfa is allowing all this to happen with no fight. Word has it that amfa feels the arbitration case has no merit and will cost the effected mechanic's millions of dollars.

Checking it Out said:
E-Mail:
It seems that this board has been bombarded with the old anti-AMFA arguments. This is exactly what happened when we were confronted with another IAMAW concessionary tentative agreement. We voted that T/A down. The AMFA grass roots drive then seemed to take hold.

The AMFA is no panacea. Just because you vote in the AMFA does not mean you can sit on your butt and expect miracles to happen. This is a democratic union. Get involved, be active, and most of all, be professional.

As Aircraft Maintenance Technicians the only way we will further our profession is to be the professionals we are. We must not portray the image of the industrial union thug. If we are to be treated as professionals, we must act as such. At NWA we have fostered a new image for the Technician and Related.

NWA has used every possible method to reduce our headcount. They will continue to reduce the rank and file employees who refuse to pull their own weight. They have violated the agreement at times and when they have the AMFA has had those violations overturned via arbitration.

Northwest Airlines will continue to try to shed the in house work that can be done by third party outfits. If NWA can have a seat overhauled by a contractor who pays their workers $12.00/hr, why would they keep that work in house? I believe NWA is following the Continental Airlines model. I can’t fault NWA for doing this. The executives are focusing on reducing costs. They feel that this is the best way to reduce maintenance costs. I disagree. I am not in the position to change the way NWA does business. The TWU and their OSM classification have prevented those jobs from ever being performed by AMT's again.

NWA has focused on the Airline customer. Aircraft maintenance is a cost center. Richard Anderson (NWA’s CEO) has said that we are in the Airline business, not the aircraft maintenance business. NWA wants to have only Line Maintenance and light check work done in house. As long as there is third party contractors to perform the heavy check work with unlicensed mechanics, all airlines will utilize the low wage option. As it stands, contractors for half the cost are doing most back shop work by utilizing unlicensed techs under a repair station license.
As professional AMT's we must unite and aim for a common goal. Certificated technicians must perform any and all maintenance done on aircraft and the parts attached to them. This will never happen under the catchall industrial unions such as the TWU/IAMAW. They want to keep the most dues dollars flowing. If that means creating b-scale, c-scale…. that will be the goal. The industrial unions would much rather have 2000 AMT’s and 4000 OSM’s than to have 4000 professional well paid AMT’s. That is because they need the strength in numbers for their finances. The greater the number, the more dues flow. -------

The more you look the more you can see amfa's philosophy, let farmouts continue until all heavy maintenance is gone. Sounds like amfa is allowing all this to happen with no fight. Word has it that amfa feels the arbitration case has no merit and will cost the effected mechanic's millions of dollars.
Is that what you read?

That is not what it says.

It does not make any undeliverable promises.

It says that AMFA has successfully fought for their members.

It say that we need to fight to keep the work and not allow the companies to farm it out to shops where unliscenced mechanics do the work.

It blasts the TWU as the cause behind aircraft mechanic jobs being eliminated with our OSM program.

Other airline workers can see beyond the TWU smokescreen and see it for what is is and has been for twenty years- the leader in concessions. The damage the TWU has done to the profession is of such a great magnitude that we will likely spend the rest of our careers, even with AMFA, trying to repair it, without AMFA things will simply get worse.

The TWU brought the "low wage option" "in house". I believe that most of our OSMs would rather be on the mechanics scale. Under AMFA we will try to make it so, and threats that non-A&Ps would be laid off to make room for A&Ps are false, those that are here now would be Grandfathered in.

Apparently you missed the entire last paragraph.

As far as the arbitration case you must have AMFA confused with the TWU. When is our "force majeure" case going forward again? Jim Little said at the Convention, in 2001, that "We might win the case but Bankrupt the company".

Checking it Out said:
E-Mail:

Is that what you read?

That is not what it says.

It does not make any undeliverable promises.

It says that AMFA has successfully fought for their members.

It say that we need to fight to keep the work and not allow the companies to farm it out to shops where unliscenced mechanics do the work.

It blasts the TWU as the cause behind aircraft mechanic jobs being eliminated with our OSM program.

Other airline workers can see beyond the TWU smokescreen and see it for what is is and has been for twenty years- the leader in concessions. The damage the TWU has done to the profession is of such a great magnitude that we will likely spend the rest of our careers, even with AMFA, trying to repair it, without AMFA things will simply get worse.

The TWU brought the "low wage option" "in house". I believe that most of our OSMs would rather be on the mechanics scale. Under AMFA we will try to make it so, and threats that non-A&Ps would be laid off to make room for A&Ps are false, those that are here now would be Grandfathered in.

Apparently you missed the entire last paragraph.

As far as the arbitration case you must have AMFA confused with the TWU. When is our "force majeure" case going forward again? Jim Little said at the Convention, in 2001, that "We might win the case but Bankrupt the company".

deltoon1.jpg

twu.......If you had any clout to debate with we wouldn't be on the eve of our card filing. You'll get one more chance when AMFA national comes back to town after the filing. Try leaving the coffin at home this time. Put on your best bib overalls and shine your boots and you can try to save a little face. After listening to AMFA national on Saturday I can see why you decided not to play. Typical twu manuever. Duck and hide, run from the issues........This time it will cost you the mechanics craft and class at American Airlines. I know you'll miss that extra cash every month but it's out with the old and in with the new.
Here's to the twu..................
leading the industry with 1/2 pay sick days........
Cheers.

mojo13 said:
Maybe you could explain the meaning of the coffin, and then I will understand your defense of, what I perceive to be very unprofessional activity.

That coffin was representative of the jobs lost under AMFA's watch!
If the coffin represents the job losses under AMFA's watch,
how large would the coffin be if it reflected the union job losses under the AFL-CIO watch (per member/per annum) ?

Please break that down by affiliation (IAM/TWU/etc...)

Can you graph that for us?

Thanks in advance,

UAL_TECH said:
mojo13 said:
Maybe you could explain the meaning of the coffin, and then I will understand your defense of, what I perceive to be very unprofessional activity.

That coffin was representative of the jobs lost under AMFA's watch!
If the coffin represents the job losses under AMFA's watch,
how large would the coffin be if it reflected the union job losses under the AFL-CIO watch (per member/per annum) ?

Please break that down by affiliation (IAM/TWU/etc...)

Can you graph that for us?

Thanks in advance,

Are we talking reduction in force (with recall) due to economic condidtions or are we talking permanent job loss (no recall) because they closed your facility? :shock:

I've been watching these posts for a while and I thought I'd chime in. One way or the other I feel the vote is going to happen, whether or not AMFA gets the 60% is not the issue. It's a matter of waking up in the morning and allowing other people to decide what is best for us without an opportunity hold them accountable. This is the real problem....

91import said:
I've been watching these posts for a while and I thought I'd chime in. One way or the other I feel the vote is going to happen, whether or not AMFA gets the 60% is not the issue. It's a matter of waking up in the morning and allowing other people to decide what is best for us without an opportunity hold them accountable. This is the real problem....
What is wrong with being held accountable? It is not other people, it is the membership being held accountable to themselves. It will be you the member who will be deciding what is best for yourself. So if you cannot see this then it will be you as a member that will be the problem and held accountable.

mojo13 said:
Are we talking reduction in force (with recall) due to economic condidtions or are we talking permanent job loss (no recall) because they closed your facility? :shock:
How many ex-TWAer's out of NY,LA,STL and elsewhere expect to ever see another AA paycheck? Some are out almost 3 years already. Whose fault is this, TWU, IAM, AFL-CIO, or of course little AMFA and their 16 supporters.

NWA will be decided soon and you know UAL happened way before AMFA.

I would like to know if you intend to blame AMFA for those ex-TWA jobs lossed the past few years?

mojo13 said:
I intend to do what I need to do to help keep MCI open. That means keeping amfa out.
Does that include lowering wages and benefits to make MCIE a Third Party Repair station? That is after September 2005.

TeamTWU is beginning to sound like the IAM at United when AMFA was on the verge of taking over. It went something like this.

"I just received notice that UA will file chapter-7 (liquidation) if AMFA comes in!"

I will try and find the letter for you; it will make you Laugh your Ass Off.

Rusty said:
TeamTWU is beginning to sound like the IAM at United when AMFA was on the verge of taking over. It went something like this.

"I just received notice that UA will file chapter-7 (liquidation) if AMFA comes in!"

I will try and find the letter for you; it will make you Laugh your Ass Off.
It will indeed be interesting how low they will go after we file. My guess things will heat up in the next two weeks at AA.
Here's to the twu........
I'll sure miss them.................Not!!
Cheers...
Local 12 associate member

Latest posts

Back