No Oct Pilot Permanent Bid

with the latest announcment of the e175 (30) going to republic, will this affect 190s? are the 190s replacements for the b737s?

arent there still scheduled releasing of b737s after the summer push. meaning a reduction still in hulls? with 200+ a year still going at age 60 (assuming that doesnt 'creep' upwards) and figure that the 737s like the d9s of years ago begin to encroach upon cycle/lifetime limitations it may balance out as those planes are released. result not as much upward movement as one would expect from 200+ yr retirements.

so any response to b737s yet to be parked/e190s replacing b737s/e175s doing b737 flying would be appreciated

It has been running 15-20 net per month from the active ranks for all reasons. The last bid had a net loss of 27 active pilots with 18 of those due to age 60. That was for a two month period (July/August) from the previous bid.

Jim

It has been running 15-20 net per month from the active ranks for all reasons. The last bid had a net loss of 27 active pilots with 18 of those due to age 60. That was for a two month period (July/August) from the previous bid.

Jim

Do you happen to know what the junior date of hire was on the last recall? I'm a long way from recall, but just a little curious.

Do you happen to know what the junior date of hire was on the last recall? I'm a long way from recall, but just a little curious.

Went down 173 folks from the top of the APL before they found 55 willing to accept recall. That persons seniority number was 3309(DOH 1-30-89) being the most junior.

with the latest announcment of the e175 (30) going to republic, will this affect 190s?
The way the press release read the 30 175s are coming out of the 50 190 options we hold.
... are the 190s replacements for the b737s?
Parker keeps saying no. 99 versus 134 seats is a big decrease in capacity so it doesn't make sense. Most of Rebublic's 175s are direct replacements for 145s. Unless something big changes I would anticipate growth in mainline ASMs rather than shrinkage.
arent there still scheduled releasing of b737s after the summer push.
I haven't heard anything about 737 retirements beyond what was announced last year.

90 versus 134 seats is a big decrease in capacity so it doesn't make sense.

The 190's as ordered are 99 seats....11FC/88coach. For a big difference in crew cost...I wouldn't be surprised if DP changes his mind over 35 seats!

"The way the press release read the 30 175s are coming out of the 50 190 options we hold."

Doesn't say this anywhere. Says Republic has ordered 30 E175's.

I spoke with someone in the know about the 737's. He said that their are no plans to park anymore aircraft, however as the leases come up for renewal individual aircraft decisions will be made. We are actively looking for additional 757's and would take them if they are configured correctly and the price is right. None found yet though...

Doesn't say this anywhere. Says Republic has ordered 30 E175's.
Quote from article http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060724/20060724005192.html?.v=1

Republic Airways has also reached an agreement with Embraer for the purchase of thirty 86-seat Embraer 175 aircraft for its Republic Airlines operation. These 30 Embraer 175 aircraft were originally options available to US Airways which were transferred to Republic.

The 190's as ordered are 99 seats....11FC/88coach. For a big difference in crew cost...I wouldn't be surprised if DP changes his mind over 35 seats!
Sorry about writing 90 seats; typo. As for differences in crew cost, the Republic captain pay scale is around $64-99/hr. (I say "around" because the site I used only published the 170 rate and the difference should be small, if anything.) Mainline 190 rates are $82-95/hr. The 319 has 26 fewer seats than the 320 for the same pay, yet they bought more 319s than 320s. Bottom line is that I'm sure crew costs are an issue but potential revenue is an even bigger issue.

Sorry about writing 90 seats; typo.

No problem, it happens.

As for differences in crew cost, the Republic captain pay scale is around $64-99/hr. (I say "around" because the site I used only published the 170 rate and the difference should be small, if anything.) Mainline 190 rates are $82-95/hr. The 319 has 26 fewer seats than the 320 for the same pay, yet they bought more 319s than 320s. Bottom line is that I'm sure crew costs are an issue but potential revenue is an even bigger issue.

Sorry, I was referring to the difference between the 737 and the 190 mainline rates. One less f/a, and alot lower pilot pay, may make the gang at the sandcastle think about whether they really want to keep the 73's for 35 extra seats. Of course there is the rumored, very expensive, "lap joint" maintenance problem on the 73's that they may not want to spend the money on, thus helping them justify getting rid of the 737's.
For the furloughees who want to go back, I hope the 190's are truly additional a/c and not replacements. I hear a bid may be coming out in late August.

No problem, it happens.
Sorry, I was referring to the difference between the 737 and the 190 mainline rates. One less f/a, and alot lower pilot pay, may make the gang at the sandcastle think about whether they really want to keep the 73's for 35 extra seats. Of course there is the rumored, very expensive, "lap joint" maintenance problem on the 73's that they may not want to spend the money on, thus helping them justify getting rid of the 737's.
For the furloughees who want to go back, I hope the 190's are truly additional a/c and not replacements. I hear a bid may be coming out in late August.

I believe the decision has already been made in the affirmative for the "lap joint". I know the question was asked in either a town hall or crew news about are we going to invest the money necessary to fix the 737's. So, I am not 100% sure they were talking about the lap joint.

No problem, it happens.

Hypothetically, say a 190 and a 737 each fly 10 legs in a day with two different crews, the 737 was able to fly 350 more folks around. Off the top of my head, I would tend to think that revenue would more than cover the extra pay for the pilots and extra flight attendant.

Things to keep in mind....

1 - the 99 vs 134 seat comparison only applies to the standard 175 vs HP 737. East 737-300's only have 126 seats, and there are more East than HP 737-300's.

2 - The higher capacity Emb-190's, when available, will decrease the capacity difference by up to 6 seats - assuming they keep the 11 F/C seats.

Put those two together and the difference could only be 21 seats instead of 35.

Aside from what seems to be the obvious - the 737's will eventually be gone to simplify the fleet - the big driver seems to be lease expirations. If they can't be renewed/extended at "the right price", those airplanes will go away and the only replacements due before 2009 are from Embraer (and Bombardier, if a settlement can be worked out).

Jim

I believe the decision has already been made in the affirmative for the "lap joint". I know the question was asked in either a town hall or crew news about are we going to invest the money necessary to fix the 737's. So, I am not 100% sure they were talking about the lap joint.
You are correct. I was at the meeting when Doug answered the question.