Non-Rev Travel to be FREE OF CHARGE BEGINNING 6/1/2016

D1RT? Is that because the company sees them as dirt, they're older than dirt, or is there some other meaning I'm missing out on?...

Kev3188 said:
Nice! Would be great if DL followed AA's lead in this one...
Indeed. I'm sure there are folks at other airlines watching this as well.

Then again, the rarity of getting into a premium cabin makes a lot of this a moot point.

Reactions: 2 people
Lot's of variables it seems.

D2 arrives at airport for a flight with 3 seats open in first and 35 in the back. He's boarding right behind 2 D1s and a single D2T.

Everyone except the transfer show up to the gate, agent wants to get non revs cleared. Transfer is still not there D+35, because he is deplaning 8 minutes away.

Agent tickets the 3 at the gate in 1C, 2A, and 2 F.

D2T shows up and gets a decent seat, 7C :)

Wonder if this applies to Main Cabin Extra? Finding seats up front is rare,but still if the possibility exists,it can make a trip much nicer.

N924PS said:
Are you sure there is even a a D1R(T) category? I thought retirees traveling as D1 have the same priority as active employees....
your right I just checked the trip book there's no d1r d1 is for active and retired 6 a year

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
D1RT? Is that because the company sees them as dirt, they're older than dirt, or is there some other meaning I'm missing out on?...Indeed. I'm sure there are folks at other airlines watching this as well.Then again, the rarity of getting into a premium cabin makes a lot of this a moot point.
theres no d1r per the trip book

Now that there is no fee, it should be based on company seniority (hire date of original airline), period. Fill first class first as long as non-revs meet the dress code and age restrictions. Then fill coach next.

That is how it should be. (That is how legacy NWA/Delta used to be)

Call me old fashioned, and flame me now.

Reactions: 5 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
Now that there is no fee, it should be based on company seniority (hire date of original airline), period. Fill first class first as long as non-revs meet the dress code and age restrictions. Then fill coach next.

No flame. I like the idea. Problem remains though --- who is "at the gate" when the agents start clearing the list.

I won't get worked up no matter what because there just aren't that many FC seats available.

If your not there, the agent moves on. Hesitant about split seats, move on. Take it or leave it. Don't like it, take your chances on the next flight.

Glenn Quagmire said:
If your not there, the agent moves on. Hesitant about split seats, move on. Take it or leave it. Don't like it, take your chances on the next flight.
I guess the same can be said about those who still frown upon FCFS... :rolleyes:

It is nice to travel for free. No argument.  but does it really matter about everyone wanting to go FC? Aircraft are so full, especially thanks, for example, A321's and 737's replacing 767's transcon and 757's elsewhere respectively, we are lucky to get a seat...PERIOD! Never mind first class.
These two aircraft will eventually dominate the domestic market along with the A319. Heck, the A321 is now doing Hawaii.....How much longer before it flies to Europe?
 My entire career, I have cherished my flight privileges. In the early days, we rarely ever missed a flight, even traveling as a young family. Now, non revving is such a PITA. NOW for me when  we take that ALL-TOO-IMPORTANT-TO-MISS-THE VACATION-flight, we use our MILES or buy tickets or combine both. Granted, I am way older now and better off financially than a younger employee and family, but this non revving is nothing but a hassle. So who cares if traveling free will enable EVERYONE to fly in first class. How many friggin seats you think are available?
Of course I still non rev and will continue to do so, but it is not as carefree and pleasant as it once was.

One more thing, this is great news for commuters.

Reactions: 4 people
As has been noted, since there are so very few FC seats available even for revenue upgrades, I don't expect to be sitting in FC when I non-rev.  If it happens, that's jam on the bread.  I fly #1 (FC) most of the time.  Most every FC seat on just about every flight is filled with passengers who are paying for a FC seat.  I worked a flight last week where we had a number of EPs and PLs playing upgrade roulette.  There were 34 upgrade requests on the standby list.  Problem:  there was only 1 FC seat not taken by a revenue passenger paying for that FC seat.

Now, if you are flying to the ski resorts in the Summer or to the New England beaches in the Winter, you have a much better chance of getting FC.  You just have to be flexible about your travel plans.   :lol:

MetalMover said:
It is nice to travel for free. No argument.  but does it really matter about everyone wanting to go FC? Aircraft are so full, especially thanks, for example, A321's and 737's replacing 767's transcon and 757's elsewhere respectively, we are lucky to get a seat...PERIOD! Never mind first class.
These two aircraft will eventually dominate the domestic market along with the A319. Heck, the A321 is now doing Hawaii.....How much longer before it flies to Europe?
 My entire career, I have cherished my flight privileges. In the early days, we rarely ever missed a flight, even traveling as a young family. Now, non revving is such a PITA. NOW for me when  we take that ALL-TOO-IMPORTANT-TO-MISS-THE VACATION-flight, we use our MILES or buy tickets or combine both. Granted, I am way older now and better off financially than a younger employee and family, but this non revving is nothing but a hassle. So who cares if traveling free will enable EVERYONE to fly in first class. How many friggin seats you think are available?
Of course I still non rev and will continue to do so, but it is not as carefree and pleasant as it once was.

One more thing, this is great news for commuters.
GREAT news financially and might be good for Europe or the Pacific areas but little benefit domestically. It will also now be even more difficult to get an F seat. Oh well. It is what it is. :) 

Glenn Quagmire said:

What about the "no fee" change should cause a change in FCFS vs hire date?  Nothing.

"Old Fashioned" to me...means FCFS.

AirwAr said:

What about the "no fee" change should cause a change in FCFS vs hire date?  Nothing.

"Old Fashioned" to me...means FCFS.
Give it up already you got fcfs we got your shifty management. Sounds like a wash.

Reactions: 5 people