Non-Rev Travel to be FREE OF CHARGE BEGINNING 6/1/2016

jimntx said:
As has been noted, since there are so very few FC seats available even for revenue upgrades, I don't expect to be sitting in FC when I non-rev.  If it happens, that's jam on the bread.  I fly #1 (FC) most of the time.  Most every FC seat on just about every flight is filled with passengers who are paying for a FC seat.  I worked a flight last week where we had a number of EPs and PLs playing upgrade roulette.  There were 34 upgrade requests on the standby list.  Problem:  there was only 1 FC seat not taken by a revenue passenger paying for that FC seat.

AA and DL (and likely others) have started aggressively selling advanced purchase, non-refundable first class fares on many routes.  I flew DCA-LAX a few weeks ago.  F round trip was about $1,100 while coach was about $600.  I opted to just book the First class ticket in lieu of attempting an upgrade, knowing full well I would never get one.  I just did the same for an upcoming DCA-LAS trip.  There were a lot of EPs in the back, with many grumbling at the gate that upgrades have become increasingly difficult to get.  I've heard the same from many DL Diamonds.

Reactions: 1 person
USFlyer said:
AA and DL (and likely others) have started aggressively selling advanced purchase, non-refundable first class fares on many routes.  I flew DCA-LAX a few weeks ago.  F round trip was about $1,100 while coach was about $600.  I opted to just book the First class ticket in lieu of attempting an upgrade, knowing full well I would never get one.  I just did the same for an upcoming DCA-LAS trip.  There were a lot of EPs in the back, with many grumbling at the gate that upgrades have become increasingly difficult to get.  I've heard the same from many DL Diamonds.

All true.
First class will be rare. This change does help the commuters though because sometimes they are forced into a FC seat as the only ones left.

Also, if you want to enjoy FC international, better do it in the next 2 years. Once the 777-200s are retro fitted with all Buisness class, you will find those will also be hard to get because AA aggressively upgrades coach passengers into Buisness class on international flights.
Right now, the first class cabin is so expensive , there are always some FC seats available on the 777-200s, soon to be discontinued.

My son, a 27 year old D3 has just about given up on Non-rev traveling and here is why. Wanted go to DFW-LAX last week and flights were close to being full. Went to Expedia two days before the flight he wanted to take and bought a one way ticket for $68 dollars on AA. That is why non-rev is almost impossible. AA is giving away seats.

Readers/Posters working or retired Happy Holidays . DP/AAL can spin it any way they want about what used to be a great benefit working for the Airline's . Bottom line it's been destroyed by not using Seniority Rules for boarding . Many like the 24hr. rule for listing but after that they have pissed the Majority off . Happy New Year !

Reactions: 3 people
psa8979 said:
Readers/Posters working or retired Happy Holidays . DP/AAL can spin it any way they want about what used to be a great benefit working for the Airline's . Bottom line it's been destroyed by not using Seniority Rules for boarding . Many like the 24hr. rule for listing but after that they have pissed the Majority off . Happy New Year !
Bitter much? Get over it. We F/A's voted for FCFS for the jump seat and it wasn't even close. Landslide victory for FCFS. 75%-25%. Not even remotely close. So, keep bitching and be miserable. It isn't changing and I assure you the majority would have voted FCFS if given the chance. One small section of the company proved that. Feel free to stay home and let the rest of us happy employees have access to any of the available seats to nonrev on since you don't appreciate it.

Reactions: 3 people
CMH_GSE said:
All true.
First class will be rare. This change does help the commuters though because sometimes they are forced into a FC seat as the only ones left.

Also, if you want to enjoy FC international, better do it in the next 2 years. Once the 777-200s are retro fitted with all Buisness class, you will find those will also be hard to get because AA aggressively upgrades coach passengers into Buisness class on international flights.
Right now, the first class cabin is so expensive , there are always some FC seats available on the 777-200s, soon to be discontinued.

When you think about it, it's not a bad strategy to try to sell as much F as possible.  2-3 paid F at $2,500 r/t is roughly $7,500.  10-11 paid F at $1,100 r/t is $12,100.  This is even more true given domestic F isn't really all that "luxurious" nor worth what airlines have been trying to charge for it.

jimntx said:
As has been noted, since there are so very few FC seats available even for revenue upgrades, I don't expect to be sitting in FC when I non-rev.  If it happens, that's jam on the bread.  I fly #1 (FC) most of the time.  Most every FC seat on just about every flight is filled with passengers who are paying for a FC seat.  I worked a flight last week where we had a number of EPs and PLs playing upgrade roulette.  There were 34 upgrade requests on the standby list.  Problem:  there was only 1 FC seat not taken by a revenue passenger paying for that FC seat.

Now, if you are flying to the ski resorts in the Summer or to the New England beaches in the Winter, you have a much better chance of getting FC.  You just have to be flexible about your travel plans.   :lol:
Good point,going off season to Europe has almost always worked for me many times. As far as first class,all I did once is ask a F/A discreetly if we could sit up front and it worked. Tried again and no go. On a flight to Paris in the off season, my wife and I each had a center row of 4 seats, coming back just 2 bulkhead seats,still not too bad.   

MetalMover said:
It is nice to travel for free. No argument.  but does it really matter about everyone wanting to go FC? Aircraft are so full, especially thanks, for example, A321's and 737's replacing 767's transcon and 757's elsewhere respectively, we are lucky to get a seat...PERIOD! Never mind first class.
These two aircraft will eventually dominate the domestic market along with the A319. Heck, the A321 is now doing Hawaii.....How much longer before it flies to Europe?
 My entire career, I have cherished my flight privileges. In the early days, we rarely ever missed a flight, even traveling as a young family. Now, non revving is such a PITA. NOW for me when  we take that ALL-TOO-IMPORTANT-TO-MISS-THE VACATION-flight, we use our MILES or buy tickets or combine both. Granted, I am way older now and better off financially than a younger employee and family, but this non revving is nothing but a hassle. So who cares if traveling free will enable EVERYONE to fly in first class. How many friggin seats you think are available?
Of course I still non rev and will continue to do so, but it is not as carefree and pleasant as it once was.

One more thing, this is great news for commuters.
It's hard to argue with this.

jimntx said:

Now, if you are flying to the ski resorts in the Summer or to the New England beaches in the Winter, you have a much better chance of getting FC.  You just have to be flexible about your travel plans.   :lol:
You crack me up :)

AANOTOK said:
My son, a 27 year old D3 has just about given up on Non-rev traveling and here is why. Wanted go to DFW-LAX last week and flights were close to being full. Went to Expedia two days before the flight he wanted to take and bought a one way ticket for $68 dollars on AA. That is why non-rev is almost impossible. AA is giving away seats.

And cheaper then D3 charges with a confirmed seat. That's definitely a no brainer!

Going to New York in March with D3 son.

D3 round trip charge is $156 Y and $202 F. Of course we fly free.
On Expedia, we bought two tickets on AA, non stop to LGA for $118 each round trip. That is insane.
Obviously the D3 is a no brainer, but in my opinion the $118 positive no hassle space is a no brainer as well.

Let me add that it also let us pick our seats.

No, to be honest I didn't...My son just compared his non-rev price vs Expedia and jumped on it.
I was happy with $118 round trip positive space. I may have left some savings on the table, but
I will still board with a smile...(will check next time for sure). Thanks