Non-rev upgrade charges

boston

Senior
Aug 7, 2004
What did I miss, saw a blurb, then heard it again regarding up grading cabins. Currently at AA
Non rev charges come out of our paycheck, and all travelers are listed and I believe we get 11-12 people. Anyway when there is only a seat a premium cabin you get that seat and
It's charged to the employee. Well I hear we will
Have to buy up grades for every leg and if not purchased and physically handed
To the agent we can't board. Is this for real. Could it be only when AA employees are
Flying on US, and when the IT integration is complete
This won't be necessary and not applied to AA?

boston said:
What did I miss, saw a blurb, then heard it again regarding up grading cabins. Currently at AA
Non rev charges come out of our paycheck, and all travelers are listed and I believe we get 11-12 people. Anyway when there is only a seat a premium cabin you get that seat and
It's charged to the employee. Well I hear we will
Have to buy up grades for every leg and if not purchased and physically handed
To the agent we can't board. Is this for real. Could it be only when AA employees are
Flying on US, and when the IT integration is complete
This won't be necessary and not applied to AA?
That's quite a mouthful of question there!!!!! :blush:

Reactions: 1 person
It's not like there are ever F/C seats for nonrevs, anyway!  :)

How much is F/C or biz for a nonrev at AA, anyway?  

At US, it used to be $15 short haul, $30 long haul for domestic.  (I don't remember the mileage cutoff).  Then it changed to $20 flat rate a few years ago.  F/C on US transcon for nonrevs is pretty much unheard of these days.  The revenue upgrade is usually very long.
TATL for biz class had been $100, going back to PI days. 

The non-rev charges at PMAA are determined by flight length (at least for the time being.  There are some changes coming.).  If you have 5 or more years with the company, the basic flight length charge is waived for coach on domestic flights; there are still flight length charges for International.  You still have to pay taxes and fees regardless.  For instance, I am going to SJO in a couple of weeks.  I listed for F/C (probably won't get it...there are already 14 revenue passengers listed for 16 seats).  With 12.5 years company seniority, I will pay $132.33 for round-trip F/C.  Coach round-trip is $114 and change.  Nice thing about our system, I only pay for what I get.  If I don't get F/C at all, I pay only the coach fare.  If I get F/C on one leg, but coach on the other leg, I only pay the F/C fee for one leg.

As far as the comment regarding the availability of first class seats.  AMEN!  Even the Executive Platinums who book in coach because they get a free upgrade to F/C  space available are learning that the only way to guarantee a F/C seat is to purchase one.  I had a flight out of MIA to DFW last month on which I had a full F/C, and not one of the passengers was even an AAdvantage club member, much less an EP.

jimntx said:
 With 12.5 years company seniority, I will pay $132.33 for round-trip F/C.  Coach round-trip is $114 and change.  Nice thing about our system, I only pay for what I get.  I

So the F/C is only $20  (other than taxes)?  How much is biz or first TATL?

The question I had was will you need to have a purchased upgrade in hand
Just case that's the only seat opend3 f/c charge
JFK-SFO around180

Dont call me Shirley said:

So the F/C is only $20  (other than taxes)?  How much is biz or first TATL?
You can't always say that.  It isn't a flat fee.  It depends upon the route to some extent.  IIRC the F/C and B/C fares on the flight to SJO were the same, but then technically on that 737, the seats are designated as Business Class and Coach.

On a DFW-LHR-DFW routing for an employee with 5 years, the roundtrip fares are $561.40 First Class, $481.40 Business Class, and $317.00 Coach.

But as I noted earlier there are changes afoot.  When you access the NRTP fares app, there is a notation on there in red that changes are coming.

boston said:
The question I had was will you need to have a purchased upgrade in hand
For the most part, there's no such thing as "a purchased upgrade in hand with AA."

All NRSA and NRPS travel is charged after travel takes place. What you have for a seat assignment when the flight gets PDC'd will determine what gets payroll deducted.

There may be a few exceptions where a handwritten 426 ticket is still used (and I thought I'd heard those were deprecated a few years back), but for the most part, I'm pretty certain all the charges are either payroll deducted or invoiced to the traveler.

For now- flying on AA metal it's payroll deducted or invoiced. On US metal, you will be buying upgrades to put in your bank when you list for the flight.  Probably going to have to eventually have upgrades in your bank to be able to go first.   Also on Wings, new upgrade chart is <999 miles $10, 1000-1999 $20, 2000-2999 $40 and Transoceanic is $100.

That was what I was wondering if payroll deduct was going to be abandon on the AA side, it the most convenient way. I get that the US side we need to purchase them, just hoping the "New American" keeps the old American payroll deduct when the merger is complete.

Reactions: 1 person