NW Alpa and PHAA contracts and the judge

Regardless of all of that the company FAILS to realize the that the industry fundamentals in the USA have changed. Likely forever.

You have bean counters like Neil Cohen looking for ways to cut cost quickly and simply while failing to address the underlying problem of format invasion. The LCC's led by SWA have a Format that is fundamentally simpler at every turn. In some cases the cost differential can be as high as 40%, labor is only part of the equation. Everything that costs money is scritinized first before the wages of the workers. SWA has stated publicly that employee satisfaction is a critical part of their success. Yet all NWA does is look to bludgeon its most valuable asset, it's workforce.

The costs are in:

Interline agreements- A "Back of the house" cost that no LCC offers. Increased admin time to account for these monies just adds another layer of cost.

Alliances- Cost money, now they may recover them through high yield international customers but there is a cost associated

IT services - Sabre and most GDS's are incredibly expensive relative to the internet. SWA has NO GDS cost as you muct call them or use their website. This result in a 50% lower cost of distribution or about $6.00 per ticket. Now multiply that by the number of tickets sold and you get an idea.

Ratio of A/C to employees - SWA has either 79 or 83 persons per A/C versus US with 103. Not sure what NWA's is but it's likely higher.

A/C utilization - SWA flies it's plane 20% more per day then the average legacy

All of this has NOTHING to do with wages paid to workers. Now in order for NWA to survive the unions would have to contribute too but not to the extent they are being asked if these other areas were addressed.

Work Rules must be flexible. Scope, Class & craft must be streamlined ALOT.

Head count must be reduced. You have fewer making good wages as opposed to the numbers of people before.

Defined Benefit plans must be eliminated and replaced by 401K defined contribution with a company match. This is ultimately better though slightly more of a risk for employees.

One Health Plan across the Company to streamline admin cost and provide the maximum dollar value to all concerned. As a matter of morals & ethics Doug Steenland should experience the same frustrations as his lowest paid worker when it come to Health insurance.

Gotta go to work later.

Piney,
You should apply for the job as an arbitrator in this case. You have it right on the dot. To bad management and the employees don't see it. Each side is holding out to see who blinks first. The result may well be another Eastern.

Anyone hear how negotiations are going? Will they keep extending? How are the pilots doing with their voting? Seems pretty quiet.

You cut and paste skills are tremendous :up:

Bore, First let me tell you I am not at all computer lit and cut and paste is beyond my ability! Second, again its been very quiet from this board. Sorry if it looked like cut and paste. Maybe you can pm and walk me thru it! Mama(does that give you a clue about my age and that I grew up with an IBM eletric typewriter with whiteout.)

I seem to remember those typewriters also, those were the days. :up: I would imagine that someone will post a new thread when the news comes out one way or the other.

Anyone hear how negotiations are going? Will they keep extending? How are the pilots doing with their voting? Seems pretty quiet.
These negotiations are done in a pretty tight-lipped manner, so even those that work in direct support of the negiating process (like myself) only learn of the progress via what is released to the media. As such, your normal online news sources are your best source of the most recent information.

....Defined Benefit plans must be eliminated and replaced by 401K defined contribution with a company match. This is ultimately better though slightly more of a risk for employees.

Yes please!!! Everyone I know wants this, yet the IAM insisted on going with the NPP instead....

One Health Plan across the Company to streamline admin cost and provide the maximum dollar value to all concerned.

The current proposal(s) on the table call for one plan (at least for all of the IAM represented employees), as opposed to the three options we have now.

I suspect this product warning was printed with people like you in mind.

Caution:" Cape does not enable user to fly."
-Batman costume warning label
Now thats FUNNY!!!!! :up: :lol:

Regardless of all of that the company FAILS to realize the that the industry fundamentals in the USA have changed. Likely forever.

You have bean counters like Neil Cohen looking for ways to cut cost quickly and simply while failing to address the underlying problem of format invasion. The LCC's led by SWA have a Format that is fundamentally simpler at every turn. In some cases the cost differential can be as high as 40%, labor is only part of the equation. Everything that costs money is scritinized first before the wages of the workers. SWA has stated publicly that employee satisfaction is a critical part of their success. Yet all NWA does is look to bludgeon its most valuable asset, it's workforce.

The costs are in:

Interline agreements- A "Back of the house" cost that no LCC offers. Increased admin time to account for these monies just adds another layer of cost.

Alliances- Cost money, now they may recover them through high yield international customers but there is a cost associated

IT services - Sabre and most GDS's are incredibly expensive relative to the internet. SWA has NO GDS cost as you muct call them or use their website. This result in a 50% lower cost of distribution or about $6.00 per ticket. Now multiply that by the number of tickets sold and you get an idea.

Ratio of A/C to employees - SWA has either 79 or 83 persons per A/C versus US with 103. Not sure what NWA's is but it's likely higher.

Thanks for the insight..I have often wondered why SWA is doing so much better. What you say makes alot of sense.

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

Back