NWA Pilot Strike?

*** " WORK-TO-RULE " ***

All airlines have established procedures for their particular operations. These are established in conjunction with FAA guidlines.

While I'm unfamiliar with what NWA calls their particular versions of these procedures, some examples from othe carriers are

AOP-Airline operating procedures

AMOP-Aircraft maintenance operations procedures

MOP-maintenance operations procedures(non-aircraft related)

Next, individual unions may have contractual requirements which interact with these procedures ie; schedule bidding, rest requirements, duty rig, etc etc.

Most aviation related employees,much too their credit, have learned to streamline what is normally a cumbersome and unproductive process.

Work-To-Rule is basicly crossing every "T" and dotting every "i" which often slows operations to a crawl.

An example was UALs "Summer from Hell" in which pilots worked to rule. Specifically, UAL was dragging out negotiations after posting record profits, ALPA at UAL had warned UAL about summer staffing requirements, warnings UAL ignored,or thought they could fill with pilots picking up additional flying. Well established scheduling procedures tied with the pilots contract which made additional flying strictly voluntary, crippled UALs operations that summer when the pilots began refusing to pick up additional flying which was their contractual right.

*** " WORK-TO-RULE " ***
All airlines have established procedures for their particular operations. These are established in conjunction with FAA guidlines.

While I'm unfamiliar with what NWA calls their particular versions of these procedures, some examples from othe carriers are

AOP-Airline operating procedures

AMOP-Aircraft maintenance operations procedures

MOP-maintenance operations procedures(non-aircraft related)
Next, individual unions may have contractual requirements which interact with these procedures ie; schedule bidding, rest requirements, duty rig, etc etc.

Most aviation related employees,much too their credit, have learned to streamline what is normally a cumbersome and unproductive process.

Work-To-Rule is basicly crossing every "T" and dotting every "i" which often slows operations to a crawl.

An example was UALs "Summer from Hell" in which pilots worked to rule. Specifically, UAL was dragging out negotiations after posting record profits, ALPA at UAL had warned UAL about summer staffing requirements, warnings UAL ignored,or thought they could fill with pilots picking up additional flying. Well established scheduling procedures tied with the pilots contract which made additional flying strictly voluntary, crippled UALs operations that summer when the pilots began refusing to pick up additional flying which was their contractual right.
So, in other words, deliberately failing in the mission? Sounds alot like mutiny or treason to me. I just dont get it.....I just cant understand how anyone with any kind of decent work ethic would do such half ass work. I fully respect a workers right to protest..hell, I risked most of my adult life to help ensure those rights, but to act in such an unprofessional manner is inexcusable.

So, in other words, deliberately failing in the mission? Sounds alot like mutiny or treason to me. I just dont get it.....I just cant understand how anyone with any kind of decent work ethic would do such half ass work. I fully respect a workers right to protest..hell, I risked most of my adult life to help ensure those rights, but to act in such an unprofessional manner is inexcusable.

I expected this sort response. So tell me, do you have such words for a management of this type? A little more information. UAL was in the midst of an ESOP 94-00, the managemant at UAL promised the pilots a seamless agreement in 2000. UAL was posting record profits in 99-00 and had no reason to renege on their promise, yet they did. Now as a Marine, you know one the foundations of any units strength, is in the quality of its leadership. What does it say about UALs leadership when it lied to its employees?

Its an unfortunate turn of events when management/labor turns adversarial, but can you truely fault a union when it is responding in kind?

It takes two to Tango.

I expected this sort response. So tell me, do you have such words for a management of this type? A little more information. UAL was in the midst of an ESOP 94-00, the managemant at UAL promised the pilots a seamless agreement in 2000. UAL was posting record profits in 99-00 and had no reason to renege on their promise, yet they did. Now as a Marine, you know one the foundations of any units strength, is in the quality of its leadership. What does it say about UALs leadership when it lied to its employees?

Its an unfortunate turn of events when management/labor turns adversarial, but can you truely fault a union when it is responding in kind?

It takes two to Tango.
There is considerable merit to your post. I am unfamiliar of the specifics of UAL's labor dispute, so I dont feel I should speak of it in any more than generalities. I am reminded, however, of the many times when 2 of my children would be fighting about one thing or the other. Each would have thier version of the story, almost always being 180 degrees apart. More often than not, after a little bit of research and questioning, I would discover the truth to be somewhere in the middle. I would surmise that this holds true in most conflict situations such as this. I see major faults in both sides. Corperations need to rely more on LEADERSHIP, vice MANAGEMENT. Labor needs to realise that MERIT, vice LONGEVITY, should be the determining factor in compensation, assingments, and other perks.
In the Corps, the 2 primary responsibilities of an NCO wher mission accomplishment, and troop welfare. In the event the two conflicted, mission accomplishment took precedence. As a MANAGER it was my responsibility to make sure my troops were fed, equipped and trained to face all challenges. As a LEADER, it was my responsibility to ensure the troops trusted me with their very lives. They knew that no matter what, they could count on two things: First, I would always be as upfront and honest with them as I could. Second, I would lead from the front. Inever have, and never will ask one of my crew to do anything I wouldnt do.

There is considerable merit to your post. I am unfamiliar of the specifics of UAL's labor dispute, so I dont feel I should speak of it in any more than generalities. I am reminded, however, of the many times when 2 of my children would be fighting about one thing or the other. Each would have thier version of the story, almost always being 180 degrees apart. More often than not, after a little bit of research and questioning, I would discover the truth to be somewhere in the middle. I would surmise that this holds true in most conflict situations such as this. I see major faults in both sides. Corperations need to rely more on LEADERSHIP, vice MANAGEMENT. Labor needs to realise that MERIT, vice LONGEVITY, should be the determining factor in compensation, assingments, and other perks.
In the Corps, the 2 primary responsibilities of an NCO wher mission accomplishment, and troop welfare. In the event the two conflicted, mission accomplishment took precedence. As a MANAGER it was my responsibility to make sure my troops were fed, equipped and trained to face all challenges. As a LEADER, it was my responsibility to ensure the troops trusted me with their very lives. They knew that no matter what, they could count on two things: First, I would always be as upfront and honest with them as I could. Second, I would lead from the front. Inever have, and never will ask one of my crew to do anything I wouldnt do.

Its indeed unfortunate that some of these simple concepts of leadership are lost on the vast majority of airline management groups. Union leaders have some things to learn as well.

Oh I've got an idea, a little verification wouldn't hurt anything though. Boy you guys make these boards so informative.

Why should we inform a SCAB like you? You have stolen someone's job and decreased the pay scale for my fellow union brothers and sisters of AMFA at NWA.

Remember you are dealing with managers and not leaders. Mgt does not have the best interest of their troops nor their customers at heart. It is more like not going above and beyond the call of duty than mission accomplishment. Think of it as when the heroes who are going the extra mile every day decide they are not going to go above and beyond the call of duty any moreto get the mission done. They decide to do exactly what they are asked to do by the contract; no more, no less. It has nothing to do with work ethic, half ass work or treason. As management or the mafia would say, it is just business. It isn't the military any more. Apples and oranges.

I totally agree ExAF. Comparing a military mission to a striking a rogue carrier like Scab Air is a insult to our military men and women. Big business could care less about its employees or customers as they have proven. All that matters to management is the bonuses, stock options, and any other mechanism management readily uses to enrich themselves. :down:

Why should we inform a SCAB like you? You have stolen someone's job and decreased the pay scale for my fellow union brothers and sisters of AMFA at NWA.

I just like for the guest that visit here to know exactly what is going on. I don't think you guys know just how much of a different language you speak. As far as stealing jobs, well, welcome to the world of free markets.

What about you B.O.B., you were an advocate of this strike, how many concessions are you going to accept before you quit or strike?

I just like for the guest that visit here to know exactly what is going on. I don't think you guys know just how much of a different language you speak. As far as stealing jobs, well, welcome to the world of free markets.

Have no illusion PTO what NWA, UAL, US, and DAL are doing in Bankruptcy IS NOT the "free market" using the courts as leverage to artificialy lower wages and benefits has absolutely NOTHING to do with the free market.

conversely, the huge increases in airline labor rates in the 90s was not market driven. it was an artificial increase as well. Both groups have tools to manipulate the market - right now BK is more powerful and has a deeper effect.

conversely, the huge increases in airline labor rates in the 90s was not market driven. it was an artificial increase as well. Both groups have tools to manipulate the market - right now BK is more powerful and has a deeper effect.

Untrue, The labor rates/benefits obtained in the 90s were negotiated as all contracts in buisness are, union or non-union.

Remember you are dealing with managers and not leaders. Mgt does not have the best interest of their troops nor their customers at heart. It is more like not going above and beyond the call of duty than mission accomplishment. Think of it as when the heroes who are going the extra mile every day decide they are not going to go above and beyond the call of duty any moreto get the mission done. They decide to do exactly what they are asked to do by the contract; no more, no less. It has nothing to do with work ethic, half ass work or treason. As management or the mafia would say, it is just business. It isn't the military any more. Apples and oranges.
Good food for thought...I shall mull it over and get back to you.

Untrue, The labor rates/benefits obtained in the 90s were negotiated as all contracts in buisness are, union or non-union.
I would opine that those wages, perhaps, may have been obtained under threat of work diruption or strike, which could be interpreted as economic blackmail. (purely conjecture on my part...just threw it out as food for thought)

I would opine that those wages, perhaps, may have been obtained under threat of work diruption or strike, which could be interpreted as economic blackmail. (purely conjecture on my part...just threw it out as food for thought)

So anytime someone asks for a raise or wishes to renegotiate a contract its economic blackmail???

If a company and a union can't negotiate a contract reasonable to both sides then BOTH sides are free to seek self help ie; the company may hire replacements if they are available, the union may withold their services, thats FREE MARKET

Using the bankruptcy courts to force concessions/ breech legal contracts may be legal per the letter of the law but it is not the FREE MARKET.

Back