One Airline, Competing Unions

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
One airline, competing unions
Karen Ferrick-Roman - Times Staff
11/06/2005

A dogfight between competing unions has begun at the new US Airways.

The battle is over union representation of mechanics and ramp workers. On the side of US Airways East, the old US Airways, is the International Association of Machinists. On the side of US Airways West, the old America West, are the Teamsters, representing mechanics, and the Transport Workers Union, representing ramp workers.

Click for Story

One airline, competing unions
Karen Ferrick-Roman - Times Staff
11/06/2005

A dogfight between competing unions has begun at the new US Airways.

The battle is over union representation of mechanics and ramp workers. On the side of US Airways East, the old US Airways, is the International Association of Machinists. On the side of US Airways West, the old America West, are the Teamsters, representing mechanics, and the Transport Workers Union, representing ramp workers.

Click for Story

There is no "battle", so to speak, between the ramp workers unions. To have a battle, two sides must be fighting. One union - TWU- rolling over on its back and exposing its belly is not a battle.

pvds6.jpg

The numbers would favor survival of the IAM and its contract. Numbers provided by the airline show the IAM represents 5,482 active and laid-off mechanics, while the Teamsters represent 833, McInerney said. The IAM represents 5,503 active and laid-off ramp workers, while the TWU represents 2,498.
not one to usually count chickens before they hatch but this is kinda a no brainer..... ;)
NMB has past practices to support this scenario??

Schifano said that through the delay, the Teamsters have prevented 500 mechanics from being called back to work. The IAM contract provides for more work to be done in-house than does the Teamsters' contract, he said. Much of US Airways West's work, especially overhauls, he said, is outsourced to El Salvador.
now this doesn't sound too good... :shock:

I am not very union educated. I am wondering why no 'dogfight' insued over the customer service unions... anyone else worried that this 'historic alliance' means we eat the short end of the stick somehow?
I have the same fears, especially since IBT hasn't been communicating anything with us very well, and not ONE of our shop stewards can answer questions about it all, other than "The NMB has to approve it." It's getting frustrating. Is it any better at res or are y'all as in the dark as we are?

There is no "battle", so to speak, between the ramp workers unions. To have a battle, two sides must be fighting. One union - TWU- rolling over on its back and exposing its belly is not a battle.

pvds6.jpg

The Web site for the TWU claimed that under the IAM contract, up to 650 union members in 15 to 20 field stations could lose jobs because of outsourcing. No TWU spokesman was available for comment.

Maybe if they answered the phone they could comment...

The Web site for the TWU claimed that under the IAM contract, up to 650 union members in 15 to 20 field stations could lose jobs because of outsourcing. No TWU spokesman was available for comment.

:down: FRUSTRATING! :down:

Maybe if they answered the phone they could comment...

Pat Resler doesn't like to talk to the Press. Come to think of it, Pat doesn't like to talk to anyone.

Schifano said that through the delay, the Teamsters have prevented 500 mechanics from being called back to work. The IAM contract provides for more work to be done in-house than does the Teamsters' contract, he said. Much of US Airways West's work, especially overhauls, he said, is outsourced to El Salvador.

We have 1 airbus line in El Salvador in simple terms 1 airbus check line would be brought in house how does that add up to 500 jobs, we had 4 c-check lines going when Franke shut the hanger down and that might of been in total techs around 500 jobs. so in reality the max jobs would be just over 100.

We have 1 airbus line in El Salvador in simple terms 1 airbus check line would be brought in house how does that add up to 500 jobs, we had 4 c-check lines going when Franke shut the hanger down and that might of been in total techs around 500 jobs. so in reality the max jobs would be just over 100.
in reality dude.....you have around 10-10.5 checks a year per hangar track with 24 mechs and 4 leads for 24/7 coverage...
we had 4 c-check lines going when Franke shut the hanger down and that might of been in total techs around 500 jobs
dude c check staffing around 12 and 1 lead/shift 24/7...i know i been there done that...................

Because every airbus would have all its C-checks and S-checks done in-house and not outsourced.

Because every airbus would have all its C-checks and S-checks done in-house and not outsourced.
If We Fail Because We Get Greedy (LOOKING FOR NUMBERS) & Do Not Step Up With The Current Trend,Change to Survive. What is all This UNION Wrangling WORTH? We Need To Evolve Not Be Flushed Down Like The NWA,DELTA,UAL,ETC: Groups. I Am Challenging you WISE ONES WHOM are Claiming to Be OUR GIFT OF KNOWLEDGE and The SO Called Self Proclaiming PROPHETS of the Airline Industry TO TELL (USAIRWAYS) People What ARE THE SOULUTIONS.
BOW DOWN TO THE IAM? And Let Them Have What Ever They Want?Like Blind SHEEP. Or ASK Inteligent ?'s.Have Debate's Like We Are now. COME ON DELL DUDE,& Mr 700,We Have More Faith In The Process than in the UNION.
THERE IS NO UNION SAFE IN THE INDUSTRY AS IT STAND's TODAY. NONE!!!

Will They Answer?, ibt supporters run and hide when asked
If We Fail Because We Get Greedy (LOOKING FOR NUMBERS) & Do Not Step Up With The Current Trend,Change to Survive. What is all This UNION Wrangling WORTH? We Need To Evolve Not Be Flushed Down Like The NWA,DELTA,UAL,ETC: Groups. I Am Challenging you WISE ONES WHOM are Claiming to Be OUR GIFT OF KNOWLEDGE and The SO Called Self Proclaiming PROPHETS of the Airline Industry TO TELL (USAIRWAYS) People What ARE THE SOULUTIONS.
BOW DOWN TO THE IAM? And Let Them Have What Ever They Want?Like Blind SHEEP. Or ASK Inteligent ?'s.Have Debate's Like We Are now. COME ON DELL DUDE,& Mr 700,We Have More Faith In The Process than in the UNION.
THERE IS NO UNION SAFE IN THE INDUSTRY AS IT STAND's TODAY. NONE!!!

Mick...i have to agree with you whole heartedly.
unionism in the US is jeopardized not because of the corporations but because of lack of interest by the members which recently is being exploited by the corporations.....corp's see weakness and they exploit it to their best interest...ie:pROFITS....twice during BK i personally saw top tier exec's doled out raises while at the same time they were demanding cuts from labor....however the last time labor really pitched a #### and it helped somewhat....
IAM is the way it is because of the membership and their lack of input into the situation....lack of demand of input into the process that you and i hold so dear to our hearts.
how do we fix this?? i don't know....but if one studies labor history,they will soon see we are digressing into the chaos that inspired our forefathers to unionize...why then do we stagnate today??
believe it or not ,like them or not...our union future will be guided by the likes of gonzo,bird doctor,emil howes ,awa contract and 700uw.....because these people are willing to give the time,make the sacrifice...and go the distance not for themselves....but for you and i .
we've had some excellent debate on this forum and i hope all will come together when the decision is made as to who the union will be representing the new U.....if not,i feel we are doomed by our own hand.
thank you and goodnite.
in solidarity,
delldude ;)