One Airline, Competing Unions

Mick...i have to agree with you whole heartedly.
unionism in the US is jeopardized not because of the corporations but because of lack of interest by the members which recently is being exploited by the corporations.....corp's see weakness and they exploit it to their best interest...ie:pROFITS....twice during BK i personally saw top tier exec's doled out raises while at the same time they were demanding cuts from labor....however the last time labor really pitched a #### and it helped somewhat....
IAM is the way it is because of the membership and their lack of input into the situation....lack of demand of input into the process that you and i hold so dear to our hearts.
how do we fix this?? i don't know....but if one studies labor history,they will soon see we are digressing into the chaos that inspired our forefathers to unionize...why then do we stagnate today??
believe it or not ,like them or not...our union future will be guided by the likes of gonzo,bird doctor,emil howes ,awa contract and 700uw.....because these people are willing to give the time,make the sacrifice...and go the distance not for themselves....but for you and i .
we've had some excellent debate on this forum and i hope all will come together when the decision is made as to who the union will be representing the new U.....if not,i feel we are doomed by our own hand.
thank you and goodnite.
in solidarity,
delldude ;)
Thank YOU Very Much For the Much Need'd Post I So Much Do Appreciate,Your Posting's and Your HUMOR. That Was An Excellant post I Hope Many People WIll Read this and MEDITATE on what Was Posted. Think About It PEOPLE. Thank You ALL that Are DEBATEING and Haveing the BALL's To Speak out and Let It RIP.
GONZO,BIRD DOCTOR,AWA CONTRACT,EMIL HOWES & MR700UW. MWWalker

Great!! It's good to finally see some positive discussion........there has been some discussion about current non union employees that will no doubt, one way or another, be joined with the union, one union or another. So with that being said, the discussion MUST continue and with the intensity that is necessary. Time is flying by and without the discussion and information sharing, the issues will not come to the attention of those that need to be aware. There has been no information offered by the company, supposedly none available when asked for and none offered by the union(s)..............Until the issue was brought to the attention of some union stewards, who took the ball and began to run with it. Those individuals should be commended. So let's all assist those that got the ball rolling by doing what we can to keep the ball rolling........talk to each other and get the facts. It's not a matter of CYA anymore.........it's a matter of CEOA (covering each other's *ss).

One more point........the webcast the other day.........the question was brought to Doug Parker about union issues, integration, etc. And as what seems to be the norm, the dialogue was directed towards pilots and flight attendants. It's almost like they are the only groups with these issues. And as we all know, this is not true. So...........what to do in order to bring the maintenance and related (including those of us who have no idea what group we will or may fall under) union issues to the front.........right along with the pilots and flight attendants. Revelation..............there's way, way more to an airline than pilots and flight attendants. Suggestions anyone??

Thank YOU Very Much For the Much Need'd Post I So Much Do Appreciate,Your Posting's and Your HUMOR. That Was An Excellant post I Hope Many People WIll Read this and MEDITATE on what Was Posted. Think About It PEOPLE. Thank You ALL that Are DEBATEING and Haveing the BALL's To Speak out and Let It RIP.
GONZO,BIRD DOCTOR,AWA CONTRACT,EMIL HOWES & MR700UW. MWWalker
It's about time! This is what we need. It is time for DP to answer the hard ?'s. The town hall meetings are scheduled at all of the major stations,east/west. If all of the employees ask the same questions i.e. " WHAT BOUT US?!" over and over again he will either answer us or or we will irritate him enough that he will show some true color. I'm going to go out on a limb and quote 700uw. It is time that DP "faced the facts" His little time bomb is ticking. Solidarity!

It's about time! This is what we need. It is time for DP to answer the hard ?'s. The town hall meetings are scheduled at all of the major stations,east/west. If all of the employees ask the same questions i.e. " WHAT BOUT US?!" over and over again he will either answer us or or we will irritate him enough that he will show some true color. I'm going to go out on a limb and quote 700uw. It is time that DP "faced the facts" His little time bomb is ticking. Solidarity!
I must also add, in the "spirit" of solidarity, What has either union really done to get or give real answers from the company? The answer is.....Nada,Zilch,Nichs,.....Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! And all of the rhetoric and bickering form either union about whose contract is better or who is in negotiations is all bull#%@!. If we want answers we have to show that east/west is together, with or without the unions. So, to 700uw,and awacontract and all of my senior union brothers, who have been doing nothing but calling each other names. It is time you worked together or we are all going to get screwed!

I must also add, in the "spirit" of solidarity, What has either union really done to get or give real answers from the company? The answer is.....Nada,Zilch,Nichs,.....Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! And all of the rhetoric and bickering form either union about whose contract is better or who is in negotiations is all bull#%@!. If we want answers we have to show that east/west is together, with or without the unions. So, to 700uw,and awacontract and all of my senior union brothers, who have been doing nothing but calling each other names. It is time you worked together or we are all going to get screwed!

EXACTLY!!!

Hey! All of a sudden a thread starts to talk about how bad of a job both unions have done and that we should pull together with or without them, and the thread starts to be ignored. Just look what the company did to the f/a's! Now their thread is nothing but a big argument again. DP and the boys are going to keep us separate and fighting as long as they can. The holidays are coming and it would be terrible if both east and west got together and caused an even bigger debacle than last year.Both sides of the company(east/west) getting something like that done together would put a big crimp in their plans to keep us divided. :blink:

" The little bomb is ticking". It should have gone off along time ago! The longer it burns the easier time the company has to shield itself. The unions have to lead the charge. Most people I know are fed up and would gladly step up to the plate, but the unions, are to afraid of losing the dues money and thats all they care about. I applaud the AFA for taking a stand. The more you let the company walk on you the deeper you get pushed into the ground. It's time to push back!! The End

It's coming just be patient. Consider those discussions laying the frame work for what we expect from the representing unions to do for us. It's not just about the company screwing us its also about the union screwing us. :)

PS get some sleep tokerboy. :)

It's coming just be patient. Consider those discussions laying the frame work for what we expect from the representing unions to do for us. It's not just about the company screwing us its also about the union screwing us. :)

PS get some sleep tokerboy. :)

Patience is a virtue, true but..........what is the time frame for all this? With that being known, maybe we all, East and West, will know how to be patient or when to start freaking out.

As I purused the IAM contract I have questions and concerns.
Sorry but I cannot copy and paste the references.

1. Reference Pg. 8, lines 22 though 25 and Pg. 156 lines 31 through 33. These are conflicting statements (and I didn't search for any more) regarding "Supervisory" personnel and performing work or not performing work covered under the agreement.

2. Reference Pg. 9 & 10, beginning with line 45. Can anyone explain that?

3. Reference Pg. 18. IAM Contract with less paid holidays. A number were lost with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

4. Reference Pg. 34, lines 8 through 11. There are people on furlough accrueing seniority for 5 years. That's a long time.

5. Referrence Pg. 51, beginning with line 35. Vacation time lost, again, with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

6. Reference Pg. 56, beginning with line 15. Sick time lost, again, with no provisions to reinstate the loss.

7. Reference Pg. 58, beginning with line 18. Involuntary furloughed employees have travel benefits for themselves and eligible family members for 3 years. Nice for them but how will that affect current employees from both sides?? This would be a great argument for first come, first served.

8. Reference Pg. 67, lines 24 through 34. Rented uniforms? Pay to rent and launder?? Rented uniforms and someone else launder them, sure wouldn't be my choice.

9. Reference Pg. 72, lines 1 through 5. Sounds like the "guarantee" of insourcing work is no such thing. Think about it, as noted before, there was a HUGE auction in PIT and CLT, of US Airways assets. I'm sure that the auction process did not pay the cost to repurchase this equipment in the future. So based Pg. 72, lines 1 through 5, there isn't any guarantee of anything..........it's a huge loop hole for the company.

10. Reference Pgs. 74 through 76. Hourly base rates...........steps? What is the criteria for moving from one step to another? Time with the company? Time in the position? Based on performance reviews? Based on one's relationship with the boss? Someone please explain? And based on this scale, the wages are lower in some areas and higher in others.

11. Reference Pg. 85, lines 11 through 13. Pension Plan? Is that true?? Who manages that? Who holds the combo to that safe?

12. Reference Pg. 88, lines 1 through 14. This contract is and shall remain in force until December 31, 2009 unless and until reopened in accordance with the Railway Labor Act. Seems to be a good way to better both contracts.

13. Reference Pg. 92, lines 17 through 26. Doesn't seem to be all that great since there are statements such as "the company may..........." Another open door. And going back to my Item 9. reference. Please reference back to Item 9.

And these were just a few questions/concern that came to my mind. I have not analyzed either contract. But I feel that this is, should be, could be, must be a wake up for ALL employees. This is why the vote should happen. Maybe, just maybe, if everyone who is a "worker-bee" at this now combined airline, would calm down and really, really read the contracts, push the unions and the company for factual information, we all would be better informed. And only an informed employee can make an informed decision. There are good things and bad things in both contracts. This would appear to be the opportune time to take the best from both and press ahead. Just like everyone is told that the "company" is trying to do........take the best from US Airways and the best from America West and make the new airline, better.

:ph34r:

PS get some sleep tokerboy. :)What is that old saying? "Patience my a#%, I'm gonna kill something!" I still say a little "industrial unrest" some where between T-day and x-mas,organized by both east and west people without the help of either union,just might jerk DP into reality. And,gonzo..... I'll sleep when I'm dead! B)

I am not very union educated. I am wondering why no 'dogfight' insued over the customer service unions... anyone else worried that this 'historic alliance' means we eat the short end of the stick somehow?
Some (how many????) in the agent group still think we would be better off without union representation or they just don’t care enough to vote. 50+ one is hard to get when the non-voters count as no votes believe me I know. People don’t vote and people believe managements Fear/uncertainties/doubt. If there is another Vote in the agent group management will put into place a well thought out plan executed by highly compensated and experience consults. Management’s attention will focus on the union vote this will be there number one priority. Management will love to have another shot at it. They have tried outwitting the unions to decertify the agents group for the past 25 years at US/East. The agent group is very variable.
The passenger service alliance the (Association of Airline Passenger Service) jointly represent US Airways and America West agents. With the airline industry in chaos, and employees suffering cuts at every airline, agents at US Airways and America West cannot afford an antagonistic conflict against each other that would risk our salaries, our protections and our benefits. the goal is to bring the AWA salaries and conditions up to the CWA contract level, and to improve aspects of the CWA contract (for example: activate our "snap backs" sooner for holidays, vacation, sickdays, premiums, etc.). We eventually want a single, improved contract protecting the entire passenger service group.
When that future, single, contract is achieved, the Teamster agents in eastern stations would be CWA-represented. The CWA agents in western stations would be Teamster-represented. The Alliance will allow us to work in a concerted effort to resolve major contract issues that would affect all members, regardless of location. But that is in the future. For now US Airways agents, East and West, remain protected by their CWA contract.
Those are big goals and we can accomplish them by working together for a united passenger service group.
For the good of our careers, for the good of our new airline, it makes sense to form an alliance between the two work groups that maintains their current representation and contract (US Airways/CWA) and status quo conditions (AWA/Teamsters). For that reason the Association of Airline Passenger Service is a well thought out plan.