Pending Teamsters Vote

MatthewAMEL

Nov 12, 2005
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Hello AirTran folks!

I am an FO with Chautauqua Airlines based out of MCO. I received a letter from the Teamsters that says the AirTran pilot group is voting on joining the Union in the near future.

Obviously, I can only relate my experiences with the IBT (and specifically, our Local). I found it almost humorous to read that you receive "occurences" when calling in sick, we at CHQ do also. Union representation will not change that.

Many of us at CHQ are extremely unhappy with our IBT representation. We feel that the union is not a strong advocate for us aganist company CBA violations. Often, calls and emails to IBT representatives go unanswered and issues go unresolved. Our company is proud of the fact that they have never lost a grevience. Many of us are understandably unhappy about this fact as we attribute this to weak representation by the Union.

For the amount of money that is deducted from our paycheck (substantial by anyones measure), we do not have a Union rep in our Scheduling department to protect our interests. The IBT's stance has always been, "fly the trip/do what the company wants, and grieve it later".

The Union refuses to allow members access to Union financial information, will not post information on pending and "resolved" grievences and does not communicate information to the pilot group in a timely manner.

As for healthcare, the Union recently allowed the company to switch from BCBS to a far inferior product from Great West. This was aganist, and in the face of, strident objections from the pilot group.

I am in favor of Unions for Aviation Professionals. You should be unionized and present a united stance to the company in both day-to-day operations and while negotiating your next contract.

I URGE you NOT to vote in favor of the IBT and instead follow in the steps of Southwest and others and create your own pilot union.

The Teamsters are a strong union (perhaps not as much since the split), but they are NOT a strong aviation union.

Good luck with your decision, I know it can be confusing and evoke strong reactions from everyone involved. Represent yourselves, no one will be a stronger advocate for you than you!

Hello AirTran folks!

I am an FO with Chautauqua Airlines based out of MCO. I received a letter from the Teamsters that says the AirTran pilot group is voting on joining the Union in the near future.

Obviously, I can only relate my experiences with the IBT (and specifically, our Local). I found it almost humorous to read that you receive "occurences" when calling in sick, we at CHQ do also. Union representation will not change that.

I got a letter saying Airtrans ramp and csr's are going for a vote? Anyway the IBT is not bad. I'd say on a first contract there will be not much change, but there will be much more protection.

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

I got a letter saying Airtrans ramp and csr's are going for a vote? Anyway the IBT is not bad. I'd say on a first contract there will be not much change, but there will be much more protection.

THank god you kept the Teamsters out!!!

Latest posts