PHL-ANC seasonal service!

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
According to this article, US will start seasonal non-stop service between PHL and ANC next summer - starts June 1 and ends Sept 7. Equipment will be an ETOPS (TA) 757.

Jim

I have heard WONDERFUL things about this layover from the PHX crews. With the sun up most of the time, there is a lot of day light to enjoy this beautiful state...and you TOO will be able to see Russia from your house...well hotel. lol

I know Palin gets mocked for that statement, but I used to fly up in Alaska quite a bit during the Cold War and the locals used to go to visit their relatives, via snowmachine, in Siberia during the winter. It really is a unique and cool place to visit.

As usual, US Airways is a day late and a dollar short on getting this service going. Should have been done years ago. Simply put, the Alaska tourism industry has suffered a big hit with SEVEN cruise ships pulling out next year. Three of those ships required PAX flying into ANC to catch them. Three ships with 2,000 PAX avg weekly over 5 months - do the math. Oh, and let's not forget WHY the ships pulled out -- a huge head tax on those travelers. Watch out seasonal airlines you could be next on the state's head tax hunt.

Later,
THE Eye in the sky :)

As usual, US Airways is a day late and a dollar short on getting this service going. Should have been done years ago. Simply put, the Alaska tourism industry has suffered a big hit with SEVEN cruise ships pulling out next year. Three of those ships required PAX flying into ANC to catch them. Three ships with 2,000 PAX avg weekly over 5 months - do the math. Oh, and let's not forget WHY the ships pulled out -- a huge head tax on those travelers. Watch out seasonal airlines you could be next on the state's head tax hunt.

Later,
THE Eye in the sky :)

After rolling my eyes I just want to say that I can't wait to fly this trip next summer. I've always wanted to go there. I didn't realize CO suspended their non-stop from EWR.

I know Palin gets mocked for that statement, but I used to fly up in Alaska quite a bit during the Cold War and the locals used to go to visit their relatives, via snowmachine, in Siberia during the winter. It really is a unique and cool place to visit.

If you could see Russia from Juneau then you could also see Havana from Charleston, West Virginia.

and you TOO will be able to see Russia from your house...

Sarah Palin did not say that.

Tina Fey did, in a SNL skit.

That's illegal, technically.

It absolutely is and the cruise lines are suing the state of Alaska over this.

Cruise companies sue Alaska over passenger tax
Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:32pm EDTStocks
ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Sept 18 (Reuters) - An association representing major cruise lines operating in Alaska on Friday filed a lawsuit against the state of Alaska seeking to overturn the state's passenger head tax, a levy the cruise companies claim is unconstitutional and has stifled business.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1827114120090918

After rolling my eyes I just want to say that I can't wait to fly this trip next summer. I've always wanted to go there. I didn't realize CO suspended their non-stop from EWR.

It is beautiful there and you can't help but be inspired by the place. BUT, bring the bug spray -- the blackflies are huge and vicious.

Later,
Eye

It is beautiful there and you can't help but be inspired by the place. BUT, bring the bug spray -- the blackflies are huge and vicious.

Later,
Eye

Hey Eye thx for the bug tip man. Those vicious eat me alive! I have to grill in the summer heat with a hoodie and sweats because I react so violently to them. Thx again! :)

Is it being flown on "East Metal"?

Is it being flown on "East Metal"?

Considering that the West fleet has no 757s to spare, I would say yes. Alaska is an awesome layover! I am happy that our East colleagues will be able to experience it this Summer! There are great walking trails along the Cook Inlet that go as for miles and you may even encounter a meandering Moose along the way (I have!). Our layover hotel (one of the finest hotels in Anchorage, I might add) is a block away from the Cook Inlet trail.

My best recommendation, however, is to get the crew together, rent a car, and visit the outlying areas....Seward, Portage, Whittier to the South and West of Anchorage and an easy daytrip! Or go north to Talkeetna which is the gateway to Denali! You can even take day trips with the Alaska Railroad (the Anchorage Depot is a short walk away from the layover hotel). Check schedules online first however as many trips leave early in the morning and return late evening. The Alaska Railroad can be a bit pricy, but worth it! I did this last summer on a daytrip to Whittier and it was awesome! Last summer the Alaska Railroad did offer airline discounts with ID :up:

The scenery of Alaska is breathtaking and definitely like no other! There is nothing more refreshing than viewing glaciers or whales up close on a cool, clear Alaska afternoon! The best suggestion I can make to truly enjoy the Alaska experience is to get out of Anchorage and explore the outlying areas!

There are great places near the hotel to get fresh seafood where they will pack it for you and the hotel will keep it refrigerated before your departure. Nothing better than getting back home and cooking up fresh Alaskan Salmon or serving King Crab to your family or friends!