PHL becoming more like ORD

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-U,
Just curious, since you are an airline expert--how many Cat III approaches can PHL take at the same time?

I''ll bet PIT (read, I know) can take more. That''s why it would be wise to have somewhere else besides PHL to route traffic thru. It''s horrid operationally in anything but optimal conditions.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 8:29:22 PM ClueByFour wrote:

X-U,
Just curious, since you are an airline expert--how many Cat III approaches can PHL take at the same time?

I''ll bet PIT (read, I know) can take more. That''s why it would be wise to have somewhere else besides PHL to route traffic thru. It''s horrid operationally in anything but optimal conditions.

----------------​

PHL can take as many CAT III approaches as PIT with a thunderstorm a overhead-0! There are plenty of other airports that are horrid operationally- SFO, DCA, LGA, BOS, but you have to go where the money is.

As a front line agent having dealt with todays (and every day in the summers) mess I understand what Trvlr64 is trying to say. Today though, it wouldnt have mattered. We were getting people from DL (ATL running hours late), NW (MEM power out and airport shut down part of the day), CO (EWR massive delays of hours), FL( tstorms in Fl all day). It didnt matter where you were today, if you made it on time, count yourself lucky.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 2:18:30 PM trvlr64 wrote:

A bird farts in Tokyo and UA grounds it''s planes. And it seems that US is going that same route with PHL. I''m sitting here in IAH listening to the gate agents tell the PHL customers that their flight will be delayed because of weather in Philly. I know what you''re going to say, don''t bother. The point of this posting is just my observations that since your boss and his baffoons have releaved PIT of a majority of it''s flight options, those of us that fly US all the time are getting stuck more often. Shades of UA at ORD. After my 2 occurences with UA on Sunday night and Monday morning, I am going to avoid them at all costs now.

Just seems to me that the more US management makes stupid decisions the more irritants they cause. To both employee and customer.

----------------​
My dear friend

I know it is easy to think the airlines are just lying to you all the time but I am here to tell you that even if PHL missed one thunderstorm, the proximity to LGA, EWR, and JFK causes alot of routing problems. Without exagerrating, the residence of the greater New York City area experienced severe thunderstorms about every hour today. I live here so i should know. Take a moment and look up the radar map that shows weather fronts, storms, and a radar of where flights are going. I do believe you can find that on the FAA website..I''m sure someone will correct me if I''m wrong. When storms come across a region like that (i doubt PHL missed then with the high humidity),aircraft are routed in all kinds of ways. PHL is awfully close when the flow starts. Also, someone posted clear skies. Welcome to summer thunderstorms. Now I know y''all down in Texas have thunderstorms where it clear one minute and threatening the next. I''ve been there and seen it.

Unless you are fishing for a fight, you may want to do like all the other thousands of customers and crew members do and watch the weather channel or pay attention to CNN weather that is on most TV''s that are in the terminals. But please don''t just assume we are lying to you. There is no conspiracy. There is no second airplane on the grassy knol...you''re being silly, if not petty.

----------------
On 7/22/2003 11:10:53 PM firstamendment wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2003 2:18:30 PM trvlr64 wrote:

A bird farts in Tokyo and UA grounds it''s planes. And it seems that US is going that same route with PHL. I''m sitting here in IAH listening to the gate agents tell the PHL customers that their flight will be delayed because of weather in Philly. I know what you''re going to say, don''t bother. The point of this posting is just my observations that since your boss and his baffoons have releaved PIT of a majority of it''s flight options, those of us that fly US all the time are getting stuck more often. Shades of UA at ORD. After my 2 occurences with UA on Sunday night and Monday morning, I am going to avoid them at all costs now.

Just seems to me that the more US management makes stupid decisions the more irritants they cause. To both employee and customer.

----------------​

My dear friend

I know it is easy to think the airlines are just lying to you all the time but I am here to tell you that even if PHL missed one thunderstorm, the proximity to LGA, EWR, and JFK causes alot of routing problems. Without exagerrating, the residence of the greater New York City area experienced severe thunderstorms about every hour today. I live here so i should know. Take a moment and look up the radar map that shows weather fronts, storms, and a radar of where flights are going. I do believe you can find that on the FAA website..I''m sure someone will correct me if I''m wrong. When storms come across a region like that (i doubt PHL missed then with the high humidity),aircraft are routed in all kinds of ways. PHL is awfully close when the flow starts. Also, someone posted clear skies. Welcome to summer thunderstorms. Now I know y''all down in Texas have thunderstorms where it clear one minute and threatening the next. I''ve been there and seen it.

Unless you are fishing for a fight, you may want to do like all the other thousands of customers and crew members do and watch the weather channel or pay attention to CNN weather that is on most TV''s that are in the terminals. But please don''t just assume we are lying to you. There is no conspiracy. There is no second airplane on the grassy knol...you''re being silly, if not petty.

----------------​

Again you missed the true point of my posting. I was completely aware of the weather later in the day yesterday that was effecting the east coast.

The whole point of my observation was that since PIT has been reduced in flights, we no longer have options to get us to our final destinations. Thankfully I live in PIT again and got home last night. But those that had connections, didn''t. Your bosses are creating a new ORD by their decisions. That was the WHOLE point of my posting. After 2 very nasty occurences on UA Sunday and Monday I am beginning to see that US is following in UA''s footsteps at times. That''s all, enough said. Don''t people really ready the first posting to get the flow?

----------------
On 7/23/2003 2:11:59 PM firstamendment wrote:

​

Point taken...your fine city is now an afterthought. Welcome to what the rest of the customers have dealt with the last 15 years.

----------------​

hey 1st,

I''ve lived all over the country. Winston-Salem flew out of GSO, San Diego flew out of SAN, Manhattan flew out of LGA, Monmouth Junction flew out of PHL. I returned to Pgh 3 years ago. I know more than most what it''s like to fly US from all over this country. What was once the crown jewel in the route system is now an afterthought, or more precisely, the ugly step-sister. And I''ve been flying US since 1986. So I do know. You?

----------------
On 7/23/2003 3:21:26 PM trvlr64 wrote:

----------------
On 7/23/2003 2:11:59 PM firstamendment wrote:

​

Point taken...your fine city is now an afterthought. Welcome to what the rest of the customers have dealt with the last 15 years.

----------------​

hey 1st,

I''ve lived all over the country. Winston-Salem flew out of GSO, San Diego flew out of SAN, Manhattan flew out of LGA, Monmouth Junction flew out of PHL. I returned to Pgh 3 years ago. I know more than most what it''s like to fly US from all over this country. What was once the crown jewel in the route system is now an afterthought, or more precisely, the ugly step-sister. And I''ve been flying US since 1986. So I do know. You?

----------------​
Oh yeah do i know:

1987-1989: flew the Piedmont Shuttle in Florida...we were praised for a wonderful job...F28''s only need 20 customers and we make money.
2003-belongs to Southwest.

1989-1990: Based in BWI...flew the 767''s to LAX..PI..great job...cargo pays for the flight...everything extra is gravy...
2003 and after PI merger...all 767 options given back when they could have been sold for lots of money..would have had around 40 767''s today
BWI in 2003-belongs to Southwest.

1990-1992: Based in both LAX and SFO....stands alone
2003: west coast belongs to Southwest...nothing left of PSA but employees.

1992-2003: Have lived in NYC...based wherever is easiest...decline of U stronger...no vision..go to LGA when Shuttle integrated..no LGA vision...all RJ''s...Shuttle (like DAL) bar lowered...talk of dismanteling...constant go where your senority is better
2003: US surrenders big jets out of LGA because of Jetblue out of Kennedy...by the way, why not pull down flights at DCA? I mean, Southwest in BWI..a competing airport...continued invasion of Southwest in our backyard.

Yeah, friend, I think I understand your pain. Welcome to the real world of 75% of those of us that work at US Airways. You customers and employees have sat in PIT never really being affected by all the pain that the rest of the US employees and customers went thru. It is arrogant to call your city the step children. Take a number on that one big guy. There are about 25,000 furloughed employees, thousands of tax payers from the cities that probably got stuck with taxes increased for U and lets not forget the tens of thousands of customers in the following cities who have been screwed: IND, SFO, LAX, SAN, SEA, PHX, all the other west coast cities, BWI, DAY, SYR, MIA-TPA-FLL-PBI-MCO-PNS-JAX-TLH--the entire destroyed Florida market...all just to name a few.

Many of my bretheren in PIT had very snotty attitudes about those who now had to commute or move. I would here, "well, you said you would be willing to relocate" or "oh, how awful to have to commute..why not just move?"
Well, look who is commuting now to PHL, CLT, and LGA?? PIT residences who have spent their lives in the ''burgh and now commute. Do I have any pity? HELL NO!!! Welcome to our world.

At this point, you will be a RJ city...your day is over...yes, it does suck for you, but before you or any PIT faithful complain, talk to the rest of the 75% of us who don''t live or are based in PIT. We''ve been ringing that bell for years. Good luck.

Good, you do know.

Looks like from your most recent assignments that US has given up in those areas just like they did in California with PSA and in Florida with PI. What a shame this airline has no strong vision, or more appropriately, your management has no vision. The descriptions of your various assignments speaks volumes as to US managements inability to create a great airline. Scale back or pull out. Sounds like bad sex to me!!

Good luck to you. And good for me that I won't have to worry about flying US in the future. One more move and not to a US strong hold.

Firstamendment,

I don''t think you mentioned that at the time of the PI/US merger, US was number 2 in EWR. Now has only a minimal share.

Hey 1st--

How many of those other places dropped will over a BILLION dollars for a custom terminal, built to spec?

PIT was foolish to coddle US to the extent that they did, but I challange you to name a locale that has supported US more, at least in monetary terms.

I can''t speak to the attitude of the PIT employees within US. Personally, I''m no longer living there full time, but wish that US would up and leave. It''d make a connection or two necessary--but they basically are now from PIT. I''d also like to see how US is going to hub thru PHL when things turn around.....

----------------
On 7/23/2003 11:34:17 PM ClueByFour wrote:

Hey 1st--

How many of those other places dropped will over a BILLION dollars for a custom terminal, built to spec?

PIT was foolish to coddle US to the extent that they did, but I challange you to name a locale that has supported US more, at least in monetary terms.

I can''t speak to the attitude of the PIT employees within US. Personally, I''m no longer living there full time, but wish that US would up and leave. It''d make a connection or two necessary--but they basically are now from PIT. I''d also like to see how US is going to hub thru PHL when things turn around.....

----------------​
I agree...but PIT needed a new airport, regardless. They were the laughing stalk. US is already running a hub out of PHL. Badly, but running. But I will stand on my words that this city now knows how many of us feel. It sucks.

----------------
On 7/23/2003 5:55:48 PM rvolkcpa wrote:

Firstamendment,

I don''t think you mentioned that at the time of the PI/US merger, US was number 2 in EWR. Now has only a minimal share.

----------------​
Oh yeah, thanks...you know there are sooooo many I can''t keep up. Man did we get screwed in THAT LGA for EWR deal. Oh well, but another screw up. Pass the next roll of toliet paper, I just ran out of writing space. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.