PHL guys messing with West planes/crews?

Thank God the Mechanics do check the A/C.

HP doesn't have the world's greatest track record with naintenance having been fined and nearly grounded.

The so-called mx deficiencies you speak of were paperwork issues. Franke had fired much of the administrative staff in record-keeping and the result was that the company could not prove to the FAA that the outsourced maintenance was actually completed. The repair outfits had their records and once some logs were brought up to date, the problem went away. The threatened shutdown was really a shoving match between an FAA maintenance inspector and Franke. I assure you and all reading this thread that there are absolutely no issues with HP maintenance and we have the safety record to prove it - zero fatalities.

HP doesn't have the world's greatest track record with naintenance having been fined and nearly grounded.

Besides how does a Flight Attendent know what the mechs do is "white glove" where or when did they get their A & P License?

Given HP's prior record I think the customers in PHL should thank the mechs for their attention to detail and ensuring the publics safety. They have the FAA rules for a reason.

Or would you rather entrust your life to the folks who did the mtc on the B1900 that met it's fate in CLT a few years back?? If HP can't fix them, then they shouldn't leave PHL until they're airworthy. Nice to see someone minding the store.

To all of the mechanics thanks for the attention to detail. Keep up the good work and again thanks for keeping me and all of the others safe.
Nice post, we appreciate it.

Yep, PHL may actually have gotten you through there pretty fast. You didn't mention anything about planes blocking the alley, maintenance guys watching the superbowl, or ramp vehicles being unavailable. Running to ones connecting flight in PHL is rarely necessary regardless of how late the arrival is.
Mechanics watching the superbowl? Yeah real nice post there pal! :down: Anyway we got your beautiful mug shot so when you come through we will attend to your needs after the white glove is on and after the afternoon soap operas :up:

How good is the Maintenance in San Salvador where HP gets their A320 family A/C overhauled?

US overhauls their own A320 Family Planes.

I am surprised by your post, given you worked on the ramp, and are well aware of the liquid level sensors issues on the A320, it is a known problem, and doing mx at TACA, has nothing to do with the situation.
Regards
DC

Besides how does a Flight Attendent know what the mechs do is "white glove" where or when did they get their A & P License?

Given HP's prior record I think the customers in PHL should thank the mechs for their attention to detail and ensuring the publics safety. They have the FAA rules for a reason.

Or would you rather entrust your life to the folks who did the mtc on the B1900 that met it's fate in CLT a few years back?? If HP can't fix them, then they shouldn't leave PHL until they're airworthy. Nice to see someone minding the store.

To all of the mechanics thanks for the attention to detail. Keep up the good work and again thanks for keeping me and all of the others safe.

Your post is about as brown as the inside of the toilet bowel, and you have no idea what you are talking about, and has nothing to do with the situation.
Regards
DC

Lets see, there is no combined cerificate...so....there are still 2 airlines, Usair and america west.....on the east coast, awa is a contract maintenance customer for usairways, this means that they do/can not work on the a/c until they get autorization from phx....this usually leads to a delay situation due to the nature of the beast....and a log item is grounds for the call...no matter how insignificant you may think it is.....oh well...lol

And my dog can turn off the lights in a room.

He knows the end result but knows nothing of what he has done.

sky high states: This was taught to me by a PILOT. And, the end result for ME, in an emergency, I KNOW HOW.

only stating opinions

Lets see, there is no combined cerificate...so....there are still 2 airlines, Usair and america west.....on the east coast, awa is a contract maintenance customer for usairways, this means that they do/can not work on the a/c until they get autorization from phx....this usually leads to a delay situation due to the nature of the beast....and a log item is grounds for the call...no matter how insignificant you may think it is.....oh well...lol
AWA still has there own tech's in PHL. US/east only has orange stickers/mel stickers..no red or blue stickers.
This a/c was most likely worked by AWA guys,as they handle the AWA a/c.....and serviced by Quenny&Emfufu.They are a subsidiary of delta using junk US..honey wagons as there 2 cheep to buy there own.... :up: :up: :up:
So when will we get one certificate DOUG...and I want my money...also... :up: :up: :up:

In other words no one is messing with any one..thanks.. :p

sky high states: This was taught to me by a PILOT. And, the end result for ME, in an emergency, I KNOW HOW.

only stating opinions

Just incase the pilots become incapacitated and someone shouts:

"IS THERE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO SHUT DOWN THE ENGINES ONBOARD?!?!?!"

you can ring your call button?

:D :D :D :D

I've been working the PHL flights a lot the past few months. I have experienced many 15-20 min delays in being marshalled the last 3 feet to the gate, 15-20 min delays in having someone pull the jetway up to the a/c, 20 min delays in getting an aisle chair for a non-ambulatory pax (and then we had to send the pax's companion to get the aisle chair), weight and balance issues, etc. Most posters here seem to think this is just PHL....and maybe it is. But it's somethng we on the West are not used to. The problems seem to be worse if you are an afternoon or evening departure.
Also, I was told by a West mechanic in PHL there are only 2 of them left. Everyone else that was originally AWA has quit or trnsferred.

I've been working the PHL flights a lot the past few months.

Theres this other continent that the big part of the airline flies to called "Europe". This wacky place is 5-8 hours ahead of the east coast! Therefore the flights going there leave in the evening so they can get there in the morning. Since these are big planes flying to big places, they take priority over flights to other places. It does cause a trafic jam.

That wacky place called "Philadelphia" is situated on the east coast of the United States, in the middle of some other big cities- "New York" which has three major airports, "Washington" which also has three, "Boston", not to mention a slew of other major airports- all in that same area! Whew! Makes for a busy, no, the BUSIEST air traffic corridor in the world. Crazy place, not exactly the desert!

Now there are some other factors- poverty wages in an expensive city, a company with no grasp of the culture of its crown hub, Drunks-to-Vegas management running major airline, lack of equiptment, poor terminal/runway layout, all-time low morale in every corner of the airline- oh, on and on and on!

I promise you every other flight experiences the same thing. Mainline works Republic too, which has taken over Philly, and trust me, they are way more hated than America West. No one really cares enough about America West to treat them differently. It really is just Philly. Great management could fix it- our management is the laughingstock of the industry that can't seem to run an operation out of ANYWHERE, much less challenging Philly. We never had great management but they ran an okay operation for an airline with the odds already stacked against them with a primarily east coast operation. I guess we're just not used to a regime with no operational acumen.

And I might add, America West has never had an accident. Safest airline besides Quantas! :up:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Safety last?

America West Airlines, which was fined a record $5 million a year ago for violating maintenance safety rules, will not have to pay the second half of the fine.

Safest?? LOL

The dimensions of the alleged violations of safety regulations are staggering. According to the FAA, 17 America West Airbus A320 jets made 41,000 flights after they were overdue for structural inspections. Airbus Industrie, the European manufacturer of jetliners, notified airlines in 1994 that the A320 jets needed structural inspections of the cargo doors, but America West did not carry them out for two years.

Other violations charged by the FAA include allowing 737 and 757 jets to take off with their cargo improperly secured and putting a 757 jet into service without making a required repair.

Somehow I don't see a faulty lav level indicator being a big maintenance issue. If that is all they could find wrong with the plane then your argument doesn't hold very much credibility.

The lav problem,if you remember a few weeks ago....another airline had raw sewage rolling down the aisle...and an over serviced lav tank is how that starts.Hats off to the Mech's.

I've had the pleasure lately to have east pilots in my jumpseat and also enjoy the jumpseat with east crewed a/c; everyone has been friendly and professional. One of my last was a ride with a PHL crew and a PHL jumpseater alongside of me; 3 on 1! I couldn't believe it when the subject of "the list" didn't even come up in the conversation. So what does this have to do with the thread? Everyone agrees that this is just Philly; SNAFU!!!

And PB, just to set the record straight, the AWA mtx problems were many years ago and was a direct aftermath of CEO Bill Franke's management. He's long gone and I would stack AWA mtx up against anyone.

Don't try to set ol' Whiney straight. He just has it in for his buddy Doogie!

Again, Bob, I don't see you asking here about whether or not the average US pilot can avoid Flushing Bay. Why not?

I mean, it not only "almost happened" but "actually happened."

And, like what you are implying, means nothing in the current day and age. Tempe does enough things wrong, but your insinuation in this instance is both over-the-top and silly.

Were or were you not fined? And nearly grounded?

Now then refresh my memory was the near grounding in 2000 or 2001? It matters because Franke retired, and Parker replaced him on Aug. 22, 2001. PLUS Parker had been CFO prior to that so he was well aware of what Bill Franke was up to.

You can't escape the fact that the folks at the top hold the rules, customers & employees in very low regard.

Paperwork or not, all of the other majors never had that problem now did they?

I've been working the PHL flights a lot the past few months. I have experienced many 15-20 min delays in being marshalled the last 3 feet to the gate, 15-20 min delays in having someone pull the jetway up to the a/c, 20 min delays in getting an aisle chair for a non-ambulatory pax (and then we had to send the pax's companion to get the aisle chair), weight and balance issues, etc. Most posters here seem to think this is just PHL....and maybe it is. But it's somethng we on the West are not used to. The problems seem to be worse if you are an afternoon or evening departure.
Also, I was told by a West mechanic in PHL there are only 2 of them left. Everyone else that was originally AWA has quit or trnsferred.

Yes hpflygirl you are right about the problems you mentioned,Ive had it happen and seen it on the ramp myself.Witnessed it one time and talked to the night manager about it and he shook his head dumbfoumded.He watched it from a distance also.Spoke to another one this morning about training for new ramp people.Im sure it wil be addresed soon,I hope at least.

As for how many tech's are left from AWA I dont know the numbers.The guys working the flight could have been us/east using AWA stickers...wich would be regulations per company policy.That in it self could make the wait longer if the mech's were not familiar with AWA policy.I can only speculate.

But one thing for sure is the lav serviceing is outside labor,contracted 3rd party.We have no control over what they do and I have no Idea were they get there training.I do now they try.Ill give em that.

As for the statement someone made about a lav being serviced wrong being a minor issue its not.If its over full and the pax have too many beers it will be way over full soon like the porta potty at a rock concert,you cant dump em in the sky folks.But a weel trained service crew can remedy this with the old standby,its called a five gallon bucket,if really in dought a mope stick can be used to tell the level,its just a learning curve....lol. :up: :up: :up:

Latest posts