PHL Operation

curious72

Apr 14, 2009
I am in the process of looking into the Shift Manager position for the ramp at PHL. From reading the threads there seems to be a lot of unhappy people with the company. I have been around the industry long enough to realize people are always going to complain about something and that not everyone is going to be happy. However, how closely do some of these threads mirror the attitude of the employees working at PHL? Is there a lot of turnover for this position or the ramp in general (I would assume a lot of people are holding on to the their jobs longer given the current economy)?

I'm a firm believer that every situation/job is what you make of it and there will always be naysayers but wanted to get an insider perspective from a few people.

From my experience trying to dig up a ramp shift manager in PHL, I would think that would be a great job. They're never around when needed, so I can only assume that they've found a private hideout somewhere in/near the terminal where they can hang out for the duration of their shift and never actually manage anything.

Nice work if you can get it.

Don't do it!
The shift manager position is a "no win."
If you do as "upper management" says the agents will hate you.
If you get along with the agents then upper management will be out to get you.
If you take any pride in your job at all...you will be miserable in Philly.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm a firm believer that every situation/job is what you make of it and there will always be naysayers but wanted to get an insider perspective from a few people.

I would say for some jobs that holds more true than in others.

I'd also think that PHL would be one of the worst places in our network to hold that position. You'd never see me transfer to their ramp, and you literally could not pay me enough to work as a manager there. It's its own animal.

...but that's just me.

If you are out of work, take a chance.

If you have a job, keep it.

Shift Manager is the worst job in the company.

Why do you think that the Shift Manager Position is the worst in the company?

also, I am currently employed in the industry, college graduate, and enjoy the industry

I can understand and respect that. However, there doesnt seem to be much of an alternative to most leadership positions. I've never heard of one going directly from an agent to running their own station or director level or anything like it without having first proven themself in some form of middle management.

However, there doesnt seem to be much of an alternative to most leadership positions. I've never heard of one going directly from an agent to running their own station or director level or anything like it without having first proven themself in some form of middle management.

Shift Manager is a chopping block, not a stepping stone.

You do need middle management experience to move up. Try working in Tempe.

Goobersmooching is a much surer way of getting a promotion in this company than working hard and knowing what you are doing.

I am in the process of looking into the Shift Manager position for the ramp at PHL. From reading the threads there seems to be a lot of unhappy people with the company. I have been around the industry long enough to realize people are always going to complain about something and that not everyone is going to be happy. However, how closely do some of these threads mirror the attitude of the employees working at PHL? Is there a lot of turnover for this position or the ramp in general (I would assume a lot of people are holding on to the their jobs longer given the current economy)?

In my opinion, this place is the last one you should look for support on what you plan to do. My point is proved by the the negativity of most of the answers written to you. What you wrote is the best advice you could possibly be given! :up: Your firm belief is what you can depend upon. You really don't want the perspective of moaners and groaners. :down:

In my opinion, this place is the last one you should look for support on what you plan to do. My point is proved by the the negativity of most of the answers written to you. What you wrote is the best advice you could possibly be given! :up: Your firm belief is what you can depend upon. You really don't want the perspective of moaners and groaners. :down:

Or people who know the answer to his question.

Wow your current job must suck if you want to leave it to become a shift manager in PHL ... :lol:

How long do ramp shift managers last in Phl before they are fired or quit? From what I've heard its been a revolving door there since day one?

Latest posts