PHL Operation

If you are out of work, take a chance.

If you have a job, keep it.

Shift Manager is the worst job in the company.

Could not have said it better.

That job will be career suicide. I was a shift mgr in PHL (albeit in a non-traditional role) for part of my career. Other than the hullabaloo of the day I left the company, working as a shift mgr in PHL was the nadir of my time at US. Luckily for me, I found a way out before the agents lynched me, my co-workers figured out a way to stuff me in a body bag or my bosses decided I was no longer effective.

It was impossible to be effective in that job. No support or cooperation from managment (other than lip service), undermining and scheming co-workers fearful for their own jobs, and a population of agents who clearly understood that the tail wags the dog in that place.

In my opinion, this place is the last one you should look for support on what you plan to do.
It's worth noting that OP came here soliciting opinions and this is exactly what he is getting. He did not say he was looking for "support" in this endeavor. I mean, what's the point of encouraging someone if you know you'll only be consoling him later?

I did read your reply.

It was not based in any way on reality.

And yours is? This is about a man's life, not this job. He seems to be a very positive person and this is his decision to make. This airline needs positive people. So many of you are negative. In this day and age, changing jobs is hardly a career braaker but is of necessity and has become a way of life. Curious will not be punished if he comes to that job and leaves it. I believe everyone has choices to make and in reality that is what life is. I am not a negative person and were I in his position, I would most likely take the job. If you turned out to be right, then I would certainly leave the job.

It's worth noting that OP came here soliciting opinions and this is exactly what he is getting. He did not say he was looking for "support" in this endeavor. I mean, what's the point of encouraging someone if you know you'll only be consoling him later?

Duly noted, however he is looking for "support" one way or another. I don't think Curious will need consolation at any time in his life. I read him to have his "stuff" together. You don't know what the outcome will be for him if he takes the job, nor do I. The deal is the negativity at USAir is helping to make matters worse there. I don't beleve Curious is a negative person.

There was a time when such bashing did not occur at AAA...a very long time. It was a great place to work. Aside from SWA, you tell me what airline is a wonderful place to work and don't drag in the foreign carriers.

Life is about attitude. A good one will serve a person well and make it easy to roll with the punches. A bad attitude will make it easy for a person to cry foul his or her entire life and think their lives are somebody else's fault.

I am in the process of looking into the Shift Manager position for the ramp at PHL. From reading the threads there seems to be a lot of unhappy people with the company. I have been around the industry long enough to realize people are always going to complain about something and that not everyone is going to be happy. However, how closely do some of these threads mirror the attitude of the employees working at PHL? Is there a lot of turnover for this position or the ramp in general (I would assume a lot of people are holding on to the their jobs longer given the current economy)?

I'm a firm believer that every situation/job is what you make of it and there will always be naysayers but wanted to get an insider perspective from a few people.

See if you can contact a current shift mgr in PHL and get his or her feedback. Then make your decision

seems there are a lot of people who are just downright miserable and hate the company/management. id like to ask why those who come on here and complain out the wazzu why dont you just quit and find another job if you hate it so much? thats the great thing about this country, if you dont like where you work you are free to move on to something else. just dont understand why someone so miserable would stick around.

feel free to flame away, but it would be cool to get some feedback on that issue while you are at it.

Does that make my question any less valid? I did not get the job. Regardless it would seem to reason that if your job sucks and management is always out to get you, a person would just quit and find a better paying job that appreciates their skill set. At least that is what I would do. Call me crazy I guess.