Airbus A350 delay could affect US Airways

What do you think if US Airways will decide to keep or switch different aircraft?

• keep A350 XWB (very late 2015 delivery)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • switch to Boeing 777 only (instead of late delivery)

• switch to Boeing 787 only (instead of late delivery)

• switch to both Boeing 777 and 787 (instead of late delivery)

• Total voters
When people wanted Doug to have AWA go all one fleet he always said it is better two have some of both. You have leverage w/ every order. If there are large issues such as this Airbus delay or some FAA or saftey issue or financial problems with the builder you wouldn't want a airline that was stuck w/ one or the other. After about 60 or 70 AC the savings on commonality shrink dramaticly.

Well, if that's the case then there may be an argument for a split fleet among US narrowbodies, but US is a long way from the day when it will have a fleet of 60-70 widebodies. The airline seems to be plugging along pretty well with 767s and A330s...but I'm sure the sandcastle would eventually like to have a common type for its widebodies.

US Airways’ business plan does not require immediate access to new widebody aircraft. The company currently has an order for 10 A330s with an option for 10 more, which are scheduled for firm delivery in a couple of year’s and can be used to replace aging B-767/B757 ETOPS aircraft.

Meanwhile, the company is currently modifying six B-757 aircraft that will become ETOPS certified and have winglets, which will provide cost effective lift to Europe with a CASM about 20% less than the B767. These aircraft will be put into transatlantic service and dependent upon PHL gate negotiations they will be used to fly to Brussels and some other Western European markets. This will free up one B-767 to fly to Zurich and one A-330 to fly to Athens next spring. US Airways has filed its application with the DOT to begin serving these markets from PHL next spring, provided it can get dedicated “A†East Concourse gates. Moreover, US Airways would like to incrementally add three new European destinations from PHL in both the spring of 2008 and 2009.

In regard to new aircraft, the A-340 and B-777-200LR are both options for new widebody aircraft. In fact, earlier this week Delta Air Lines placed an order for B-777-200LR’s and they will take delivery in 2008. The B-777-200LR will be the world’s longest range commercial aircraft and it has the ability to connect virtually any two cities around the globe, nonstop. Furthermore, US Airways Inspectors have reportedly been out to Victorville to inspect some used B767’s.

I believe every US Airways employee would like more widebody’s, but US Airways has options if Airbus is unable to deliver the A-350 XWB within a reasonable amount of time. Furthermore, let’s not forget that Airbus gave US Airways a $250 million loan that was required to exit bankruptcy, the aircraft manufacturer forgave $89 million in loan payments, and it has been very forgiving to the carrier when US Airways was in default.

Meanwhile, do not be surprised if US Airways announces an order for B-737-800’s and more EMB-190’s in the not-so-distant future.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus puts some newer engines on future A330s to get some operating cost savings without having to develop a new aircraft, just to keep from losing that entire market until the A350 enters service. If they do that, IMHO getting A333s and A332s would be the best interim solution. Of course, it would help if US could decide what type of carrier they want to be, LCC, full global international, quasi LCC with limited international, or something else and then order airframes accordingly. A LCC does not run EMBs, 733s, A320s, 738s, 757s, 767s, A330s, and 772LRs.

US has A320 family A/C on order, I doubt you will see any 737s ordered.

More cockpit chronicles?

Flying Parker around? lol!

700UW;

700UW said: "US has A320 family A/C on order, I doubt you will see any 737s ordered."

USA320Pilot comments: As an ex-US Airways employee how would you know? According to reports from US Airways' Flight Training Department, who is involved in the new aircraft evaluation processs, US Airways is in talks with Boeing to add B737-800s to the fleet. US Airways is also in discussion with Airbus, but the B737-800 seems to be the front runner at this time. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Gee,

I have family still working for US, guess you did not know that?

And I am still in contact with my friends out there.

And lets compare your Ms Cleo posts to my facts and you will lose everytime.

US has A320 family on order, don't see any 737s coming now do you?

New Boeings of any model are unlikely. Although USAirways has a professional relationship with the techncial side of Boeing, it is more more because Boeing has an obligation to provide support (at a price) for its aircraft if it wants to maintain global credibility. I doubt Tempe has the sales department of Boeing on its speed-dial, though. I'll bet the Airbus, and Embraer, sales departments are memorized at HQ.

My bet is that Airbus will provide the lift we need as we need it despite the delays of the 350. I expect that a 330 model (above the numbers already scheduled) will be put in place. Since the 330 is less efficient, Airbus will make up any operational cost difference just to keep Tempe on board.

In the short term, if Dougie actually follows through on what appears to be a transatlantic expansion, we may see some used 767 come out of storage to provide the short-term lift needed. And the rumors I've heard are that there will be ELEVEN East 757's retrofitted for ETOPS. I'm not sure how many European markets are within operational range of the 757, so 11 may not be sensible. It would be typical of my experience with the old USAirways, though. Every management team until now has always been enamored of the "littlest" airplanes, and they have been dragged (although still only marginally, and usually kicking and screaming) into the "big leagues" of wide-body aircraft. If one ran the numbers, I have no doubt that the ratio of seats to airframes is by far the smallest for USAirways vs. the other legacy carriers. If Emrbraer came out with a trans-oceanic 190, USAirways would be the launch customer.

US Airways would like to incrementally add three new European destinations from PHL in both the spring of 2008 and 2009.
3 just announced for 2007 PLUS 6 more in the next 2 years after will be very hard to do unless they get AA booted from A-East and keep DL from encroaching. Honestly, for the few flights AA runs (including RJs), they could do it from F although nobody will want to board an MD80 from one of those gates.

3 just announced for 2007 PLUS 6 more in the next 2 years after will be very hard to do unless they get AA booted from A-East and keep DL from encroaching. Honestly, for the few flights AA runs (including RJs), they could do it from F although nobody will want to board an MD80 from one of those gates.
AA also uses the 757 and 738 into PHL.

How many gates does AA use in PHL. Last time I flew AA out of PHL I think they use about 7-8 gates. I would say they need 3.

Meanwhile, do not be surprised if US Airways announces an order for B-737-800’s and more EMB-190’s in the not-so-distant future.

I doubt we'd see the 737-800, since we're taking on more A321s. I can definitely see more of the E-190s on the horizon. IF we were to see any NEW 737 join the fleet, and that's a big IF, I'd bet it would be the 739ER.

The A321s are probably replacement for the 757s being converted to ETOPS, have to replace the lift somehow, unless they continue to shrink.

US has dropped the ball bigtime on widebody expansion.

Even Bankrupt Delta and Northwest are still ordering and taking deliveries of widebodies.

US has dropped the ball bigtime on widebody expansion.

I agree, keeping the airline afloat plus paying outgoing executives their outrageous golden parachutes over the past few years, has been a much higher priority....

My gut feeling tells me that they'll be an announcement soon, concerning future widebody acquisitions. Ongoing pilot contract issues have to be resolved first.

If US Airways is going to etops 11 a/c from the east for Europe, its going to be an undertaking as our 757's don't have ovens to cook meals.

Coments?