Airbus A350 delay could affect US Airways

What do you think if US Airways will decide to keep or switch different aircraft?

• keep A350 XWB (very late 2015 delivery)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • switch to Boeing 777 only (instead of late delivery)

• switch to Boeing 787 only (instead of late delivery)

• switch to both Boeing 777 and 787 (instead of late delivery)

• Total voters

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
LONDON, Oct 27 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc. (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) has conceded that a delay in the launch of the planned Airbus A350 could affect its long-term expansion plans, the Financial Times reported on Friday.

Design issues and problems with the Airbus A380 superjumbo have put back the planned entry into service of the mid-sized A350 from 2012 to as late as 2015, the newspaper said, citing unnamed industry sources. :down:

US Airways, formed last year from the merger of US Airways and America West Airlines, is a major launch company for the aircraft, the FT said.

Airbus invested in the American group in return for an order for 20 A350s, which were aimed at leading US Airways' overseas expansion, according to the FT.

US Airways President Scott Kirby told the economic daily that the company had no firm delivery dates for the A350 XWB.

"We still have a lot of options with the Philadelphia hub to fly into Europe with (Boeing) 757s, 767s and (Airbus) A330s," he said.

The newspaper reported, however, that US Airways lacked the planes to launch routes from its Phoenix base as well as longer flights from Philadelphia.

The comments came as US Airways posted a third-quarter net loss after fuel hedging and merger-related costs.

The A350 is Airbus's (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) answer to Boeing's (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) recent success in the fast-growing market for future mid-sized jets that will be able to fly long distances on two engines instead of four.

US Airways was not immediately available to comment on the FT article.

If US was serious about being an International Carrier, they would dump the A350 and go with Boeing all ready, they are wasting time and money waiting on Airbus.

As much as I would love to see 787s, that a/c is a bit too expensive for Tempe. The poll should have added one more option: Used 767s all versions and 777s. That's the combo of a/c I think Tempe is looking at.

Airbus did not invest, they provided a loan which US has all ready paid back early.

Something to consider as well: the 787 hasn't flown yet. Not a dig at Boeing but with the major technological leaps the 787 takes you can bet on there being delays in their delivery. It's par for the course.

Airbus did not invest, they provided a loan which US has all ready paid back early.

Nope - $90 million of it was forgiven, provided that US reaffirm its commitment to its Airbus orders. My guess is that it would cost LCC another $90 million (or more) to jettison its A350 orders.

US can walkaway from the Airbus order if certain parameters are not met, even Dougie has stated that fact.

And Airbus had loaned $250 million.

I thought that US could terminate its A350 order if the design was changed in a way that it would no longer be economical or ideal for US. As of now, it seems that might indeed be the case.

Regardless, I would hope US would keep a good relationship with airbus considering they aren't exactly best pals with Boeing. But I'm sure you'll somehow dispute that.

I sure hope that we are truly looking at other options. Airbus cannot expect Usairways to wait around or not look elsewhere. I would imagine airbus offering some kind of deal with interim aircraft.

Regardless, I would hope US would keep a good relationship with airbus considering they aren't exactly best pals with Boeing. But I'm sure you'll somehow dispute that.

I think it's more that the old US Airways didn't get along w/ Boeing. Probably not the same issue with the new mgmt.

Based on current mgmt's track record, I would agree w/ BigBusBoy that used 767s may be the short term answer. Also, don't forget that US still has something like 10 A330-200s already on firm order. I believe they arrive in 2008 and 2009. IIRC, there are also options for 10 more 330s.

Funny, US still buys millions of dollars worth of parts from Boeing, still have their engineers assiting US in repairs and have Boeing reps on the property.

The Wolf fiasco with Boeing did not stop either party from having a relationship.

Even still used Boeing's "Go Team" on the 737 Keel Beam Repairs in CLT.

Funny how money makes relationships still work.