Pilots propose a 30.5% pay raise on May 1, 2008

ALL RIGHT !!!! ................Who FORGOT to put out the SCAB/MAGGOT repellent ???????????...
NH/BB's
Oh, NHBB is it really that bad. I’ll tell you what smells and that is your absolute failure to follow through with your request of my spin on this post, A spin for NHBB

Okay A.H.,
Do you ever wonder at the number of US Flight Attendants that have had close family members killed in the service of their country in order to protect most of those corrupt Asian countries which has made their airline business models possible?
Golf-Foxtrot-Yankee

Actually, no I do not. As a matter of fact it has never crossed my mind. Kind of like it never crossed my mind when dude wanted to be a waitress for Hooters and they said, “NOâ€. I can honestly say that it has never crossed my mind that our service men died so this guy could file a lawsuit against Hooters because he wanted to corrupt their “business model†so he could serve hot wings with his midriff exposed.

Spacious seating, tray tables and other hardware that is kept in a better state of repair is not a FA function. Give me eyeshades and amenity kits to pass out in coach and I'll pass them. Give me good food to serve and I'll serve it. Give me large galley areas and one FA per 20 pax and I'll give you a nice, unhurried gracious meal service.

For some reason I really doubt that is the case. It would simply give you more time to gossip about the FA on your last flight, read more magazines or complain still about what you did/didn’t get on your last contract.

Where do you get the idea that they have “one FA per 20 pax�

The fact is, Asian carriers hire young women for their looks, pay them dirt and kick them out the door when they're over the hill at thirty or so. By flying them, you're supporting labor practices you'd never tolerate in your own country.
MK

I am sure looks and size have a lot to do with their hiring practices but I also believe there is a certain level of personality characteristics they look at as well, so I think you are a bit off when you say they “hire young women for their looksâ€. Even if that is the case I fail to see a problem with that myself. It is the company’s decision to present this look and when it quits working for them they will make the necessary changes. I also don’t think the pay is as "dirt cheap" as you might be led to believe. It might be "dirt cheap" to you with your union inflated wages that your union has provided you with but to them I am sure they feel they are adequately compensated. “Kick them out the door when they are over the hill at thirty or so.â€? I doubt that it is as brutal as you would like to believe and might I also add that there are simply some jobs out there that should not be made into career fields.

PTO you are such a putz....
Spare us your ill informed insight! <_<

I just think it is a bit hypocritical for the AA AMT’s to bash the NWA A&P’s. Then try to sweep their dirt under the rug as they have proven themselves to be most effective at.

SCAB![/color]
Do you even know what an airplane is?

Hey 'Nor'Easta', not so loud someone might here you. As for your question...

"Airplane: An American comedy film, first released on 2 July 1980, produced, directed, and written by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker. It starred Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Leslie Nielsen, Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lorna Patterson. It is the first film the trio wrote and directed together (the group previously wrote The Kentucky Fried Movie but it was directed by John Landis)."

"Airplane: A spoof of the disaster movie genre. It has a slim plotline (originally designed for a 20-minute sketch) that serves mostly as a vehicle for various jokes and gags. Indeed, many fans of Airplane! repeatedly re-watch the film, in the process catching gags that they did not notice earlier due to the sheer number of often-overlapping sight, sound, and dialogue gags."

What are the chances of the pilots actually pulling off a 30.5% pay raise and if they do how much in concessions are the other workgroups going to have to give up to pay for this raise?

There are also plenty of studies out there covering the actual productivity of someone working in the typical office. Subtract everything from websurfing, to getting coffee, to looking for paperclips, and the 50 hours of actual work drops real fast.

Very few jobs in the typical office have an autopilot, autothrottles, and someone capable of doing one's exact job sitting right next to one for the entire shift. Something to think about.

Hey 'Nor'Easta', not so loud someone might here you. As for your question...

"Airplane: An American comedy film, first released on 2 July 1980, produced, directed, and written by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker. It starred Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Leslie Nielsen, Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lorna Patterson. It is the first film the trio wrote and directed together (the group previously wrote The Kentucky Fried Movie but it was directed by John Landis)."

"Airplane: A spoof of the disaster movie genre. It has a slim plotline (originally designed for a 20-minute sketch) that serves mostly as a vehicle for various jokes and gags. Indeed, many fans of Airplane! repeatedly re-watch the film, in the process catching gags that they did not notice earlier due to the sheer number of often-overlapping sight, sound, and dialogue gags."

What are the chances of the pilots actually pulling off a 30.5% pay raise and if they do how much in concessions are the other workgroups going to have to give up to pay for this raise?

Hey SCAB,

You are such a %$@#&*^ *&^&*!

The chances of the pilots getting the raise are better than you ever working at AA!

Very few jobs in the typical office have an autopilot, autothrottles, and someone capable of doing one's exact job sitting right next to one for the entire shift. Something to think about.

Ever hear of MS Word? MS Office ? Spellcheck? Templates, ect?

All of those are similar to autothrottles and autopilots. In the office they reduce the attention given to rather mundane tasks but in the end, do nothing to alleviate the responsibility for the end product.

AP's and AT's give the pilots time to talk to ATC, brief each other, deal with the NAV and ACARS keyboards, pax and FA issues, and as you may guess, many other things. They do a great job, but never alleviate the need to closely monitor them especially in cases where an opposite direction B747-400 passes about 100 yards overhead at a 1200 MPH closure rate.

No, they don't do the exact job anymore than your post was composed, edited and sent while you were getting a bag of Cheetos in the kitchen ;)

I've also flown autoland equipped aircraft for the last 10 years. I think I've seen only 3-5 autolands in that time.

The pilots should have big raises to keep them from leaving for other industries for much more money. They stay here only because they love the industry and AA.

Uh, I think that was dark humor. Pilots are the only ones who are truly handcuffed to the industry. Everyone else, flight attendants included, has marketability outside the airlines.

Pilots are the only ones who are truly handcuffed to the industry. Everyone else, flight attendants included, has marketability outside the airlines.

Agreed Oleson. After NWA gave me (us) the boot in Aug 2005, I found out that we (A&P/Avionics techs) are marketable.

Most long term pilots with less than a masters degree, would have a very hard time finding a career position paying what they make as an airline pilot. What does a captain make flying a 757 now?

$150,000/yr?

That would difficult to match.

(kirkpatrick @ May 11 2007, 08:27 AM)

The fact is, Asian carriers hire young women for their looks, pay them dirt and kick them out the door when they're over the hill at thirty or so. By flying them, you're supporting labor practices you'd never tolerate in your own country.

MK

quote name='PlayTheOdds' post='486553' date='May 15 2007, 02:44 AM']

Where do you get the idea that they have “one FA per 20 paxâ€￾?
I am sure looks and size have a lot to do with their hiring practices but I also believe there is a certain level of personality characteristics they look at as well, so I think you are a bit off when you say they “hire young women for their looksâ€￾. Even if that is the case I fail to see a problem with that myself. It is the company’s decision to present this look and when it quits working for them they will make the necessary changes. I also don’t think the pay is as "dirt cheap" as you might be led to believe. It might be "dirt cheap" to you with your union inflated wages that your union has provided you with but to them I am sure they feel they are adequately compensated. “Kick them out the door when they are over the hill at thirty or so.â€￾? I doubt that it is as brutal as you would like to believe and might I also add that there are simply some jobs out there that should not be made into career fields.

You "doubt", you "believe", You "don't think".

Why don't you stick with what you know? Which, apparently, isn't much.

Try getting on one of those airplanes you allegedly fix and travel to asia. Walk around the airport and look at the asian carrier FA's. Tell us if you see one old one, one fat one, one that looks different than the others. You could actually even do that at your local INTL airport. MK is telling you what he knows because he has travelled the world. Believe it or not, we do talk to and befriend FA's from other carriers when we are out and about during our travels.

The problem with U.S. carriers is not that there are no age limits, but that there is no real way to measure jobs skills efficiently and effectively. The flight attendant career has existed for quite a long period of time and eventually people other than FA's will recognize that fact. Eventually.

While I feel that a pilots job is fairly routine, I have to argue that while there may be "someone capable" sitting right next to them, pilots will earn their money when they have to hand fly their aircraft down to minimums, or they have an explosive decompression, or the plane happens to swallow a bird and flames out an engine or two, or they happen to have an unruly pax who is hell bent on doing damage to the aircraft or themselves or others , or a cargo door opens inflight and causes damage to the aircraft/UA out of HNL/, or they have to deviate over the Atlantic or Pacific in bad wx because of an ill pax, or a contractor installs a faulty appliance and causes a fire inflight/Swiss Air/, the list can go on, and in these circumstances the pilots truly do earn what they are paid.

Latest posts