PSA+PDT+ALG combine?

brandnewsin1

Dec 22, 2002
Anybody out there heard anything about the wholly owned subs merging together? I know in PIT, PSA is making some big changes and some office space has been opened up for new mgmt. Anybody have any info to offer?

brandnewsin

Its better to DIE on your FEET than to LIVE on your KNEES!

Many management functions from the three carriers have already been combined at ALG under the SSO. Is this a prerequisite for a merger? Who knows...

On a side note, I read in an article today the following:

Spokesman David Castelveter said the carrier, which has cut its jet fleet by one-third, expects within 30 days to order 50 fifty-seat and 50 seventy-seat regional jets from Canada''s Bombardier Inc.or Brazil''s Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica SA with options to buy another 100 of each. Deliveries should begin in the fall, US Airways said.

Thats 100 firm and 200 options - I wonder if those numbers include the GECAS orders...

I hope they get rid of the Dash 8''s they are costly to operate, and are junk... Ask PDT and ALG how much they spent on deice boots and prop related parts in the last year, Iam sure they could have bought several ERJ''s ect...Time to "deep-six" the Dash, make a nice reef, or a diner out of them. I hope the cost(s) involved with up-starting a "prop outfit"(s),do not make M/L give all the jets to MDA, and the other contract carriers, that are operating them now, teaching old dogs new tricks can be very costly and sometimes like in the movie "Cool Hand Luke"...."Some men you just can''t reach".....

Like it or not, turboprops have a place in the regional airline industry. With the economy in the dumps and pax traffic poor, a turboprop may be the only way to turn a profit. The lease rates for a turboprop are the lowest in history. The RJs that will be coming on line are not going to be all turboprop replacement. Oh sure, there will be some. But many of the jets are going to be new markets or previous mainline flights. You''re not going to see U replace the Dash 8 with a jet from ABE to PHL. Just not going to happen. It doesn''t make business sense.

I commute to CLT from PGV on PI DH8''s all of the time. We have only been delayed for maint. once, and that was on a Saturday morning at 6:15. The mech was called out from home and we departed about :30 min late.
I like the Dash very much especially the -300. It has a place in these markets.

I''ll take anything other than a Saab here in TOL. People wonder why you see Chairman Preferred standing in the line at ATA and Delta - low fares and jets/frequency, repspectfully. Last 2-3 years...from 737-300s to F-100s to ERJ-145s to Dash 8s to Saab 340s. If anyone wants to trade us...go for it. Any word on what effects this could have on airlines like Shuttle?

How long do you think it will take management to let the WO''s what their fleet will change to once they order the RJ''s?

Like it or not, turboprops have a place in the regional airline industry. With the economy in the dumps and pax traffic poor, a turboprop may be the only way to turn a profit. The lease rates for a turboprop are the lowest in history.

Boy-o-boy are your right about turboprop lease rates. From the March 2003 issue of Regional Airline World (page 14)

Average Month Operating Lease Rentals:

Beech 1900 C $15,000-$29,000
Beech 1990 D $26,000-$32,000

CRJ200 $150,000
DAsh 8-100 $30,000-$40,000
Dash 8 200/300 $50,000-$60,000

EMB 120 $10,000-$30,000
ERJ 145 $135,000-$145,000

SAB 340A/B $20,000-$35,000

Another interesting note from the March 2003 issue of Regional Airline World states the following-

The Dash 8 tends to command slightly higher lease rentals than the ATR 42, but has seen these slip as a result of US Airways'' renegotiation of the lease rates on its Dash 8s to $20,000 per month. On a positive note, Bombardier''s director of asset management, Rod Sheridan, says,US Airways has not parked as many Dash 8s as they said they would, so the surplus is not too bad." He adds that much of today''s Dash 8 leasing activity involves fleet upgrades to replace older Dash 8s with newer ones.