AA Non-Rev benefits

Don't listen to her. I have been non-revig for close to 20 years and have yet to be in a situation where I had to buy a ticket. With a little care and planning, you can get where ever you need to go.

Welcome aboard.

Don't listen to her. I have been non-revig for close to 20 years and have yet to be in a situation where I had to buy a ticket. With a little care and planning, you can get where ever you need to go.

Welcome aboard.
Very clever spin but you somehow forgot the part about (just not when you want to go)!!!!! Its still a good deal,, enjoy umass

I plan my vacations when loads are expected to be light and travel accordingly. Going to Hawaii for X-mass or traveling for 4th of July is not on my schedule. It's non-reving, it's free ... there are compromises that must be made. If you expect to go some where exotic during high season, you’re the dumb a$$ not me.

Not trying to fool anyone. I know quite a few folks who have not had to buy a ticket to get home in time for work. I always leave my self a day or two extra to get home incase of weather or mechanicals. So far if I remember correctly I have only had to spend an extra night 1 time due to weather. I was coming back from Europe and IRD got hammered. The airport got shut down and that was the end of that. Went to the Hyatt, got a room (inter-line discount for $60) and flew out the next morning out of MDW.

I must admit, I do know a few dumb a$$es who have tried to come in on the day they are supposed to work and can’t get back. Not sure why they are still working for the company. I can see if they were on the SBY the list the entire day prior and kept getting bumped but most times, its one flight (the one that would get you in right before you have to be at work) and they miss it. Good grief.

Anyway, non-reving is pretty easy and efficient if you just take a little care in planning your trips. I guess there are a few places that are more challenging to get in and out of. I have some close friends in Tucson and I always have to double check PHX as well to use as a back up.

I'm suprised a fiancially strapped company like AMR would offer paid internships. Most internships i've heard of are unpaid, college credit only.

Good luck Umass, it sounds like you've got a very positive attitude coming in. Despite the 'tudes you get here, there are many, many people at AA that are truly outstanding. And I agree with Garfield, as long as you're willing to play the non-rev game by the non-rev rules, you can travel successfully... but, again, it sounds like you've already got that figured out.

Have fun and be safe!

Good luck Umass, it sounds like you've got a very positive attitude coming in. Despite the 'tudes you get here, there are many, many people at AA that are truly outstanding. And I agree with Garfield, as long as you're willing to play the non-rev game by the non-rev rules, you can travel successfully... but, again, it sounds like you've already got that figured out.

Have fun and be safe!

Thank you so much! I think every airline (or company for that matter) will always have current/former/soon-to-be-former employees that are upset, hate everything and think that everyone is out to get them. I am very excited to be joining AA, even if only for 9 months as an intern. I hope that it will help me to find my career of choice in the airline industry!

I'm suprised a fiancially strapped company like AMR would offer paid internships. Most internships i've heard of are unpaid, college credit only.

I haven't seen any unpaid internships in a very long time. Even when I was in school 20 years ago, at least half the internships were paid a stipend.

Since interns at AMR wind up doing the same type of work as a permanent employee, it's only fair to pay them what an entry level analyst would earn, especially because aside from travel, there's no other benefits provided.

It was a lot easier to fly for obvious reasons when the longer routes were DC-10'S etc. It requires a lot more flexibility and planning when loads are 95% through DFW, STL is sometimes a lifesaver. However, for a planned vacation an ID-20 is the way to go if the loads are heavy. Always give yourself an extra day to get home.