Questions For Pilots And Fa

madders

Senior
Nov 23, 2003
www.bookutravel.com
How many active pilots in the usairways group will reach retirement in next 2 years?

Is there a mandatory retirement age for Flight attendants?

Reason I ask is the fight for merging these two work groups the pilots and FAs base on DOH.
If a certain amount of pilots will retire in 2 years who cares if the merging is down by DOH.
The same would be true for FA if they had a mandatory retirement age.

Pilots retire only because the FAA says they have to at age 60.

I imagine that U is like AA. Flight attendants only have to retire if they die. And that's only because once rigor mortis sets in, it's hard to do the drills at annual recurrent training. :lol:

madders said:
How many active pilots in the usairways group will reach retirement in next 2 years?
[post="300037"][/post]​

To some degree, it depends on how you define "active". And as was said, the FAA controls retirement age - if that changes the numbers change.

Pilots on military leave could come back next month or not at all.

Same for those on personal leave - while most of those are presumably on the new VLOA and can't come back till there are recalls (if I remember correctly, someone can correct me if that's wrong), the people holding full-time ALPA office are listed as "personal leave" (ex., MEC Chair, Vice-Chair, & Sec-Treasurer). These few could return to "active" status at any time.

Then there are those on disability. Any individual could come back at any time, though generally speaking there are more on disability as the pilot group ages. However, who specifically returns from disability to "active" status vs who specifically goes out on disability could affect the number of "active" retirements in a given year.

Finally, while "active" in the true sense of the word (working), there are the supervisory pilots, mostly working in the training department though the base chief pilots, etc, are in that classification.

Of course, there's the whole question of the pilots flying the Emb-170 and their status - they are listed as "furloughed" in the file used to award pilot bids.

Having said that, here are some numbers as the last pilot bid which covered thru the end of this year:

2006 - 173 of which 40 are currently on disability.

2007 - 214 of which 43 are on disability.

To put those numbers in context, there are 971 non-furloughed/retired/resigned pilots with a hire date prior to 1983 (of a total of 3176). Of these 971, 1 is on military leave, 7 on personal leave, 119 are out on disability and 54 are supervisory.

Jim

madders said:

Is there a mandatory retirement age for Flight attendants?
Reason I ask is the fight for merging these two work groups the pilots and FAs base on DOH.
If a certain amount of pilots will retire in 2 years who cares if the merging is down by DOH.
The same would be true for FA if they had a mandatory retirement age.
[post="300037"][/post]​

There is no retirement age for f/a's, As long as they fit through the window exit in recurrent training each year they are good for another year.

Latest posts