Retro Paint, US started a trend

Mar 19, 2006
I was talking to a United captain the other day and he told me that UA is repainting a couple aircraft in their older schemes. 1 to be painted in the old stars and stripes 70's scheme, 1 in the Rainbow scheme from the 80's and 1 kept in the current grey and blue. Looks like US started a trend, now if the airlines could just return to what they were when those airplanes were actually flying in those liveries, then that would be something........

I was talking to a United captain the other day and he told me that UA is repainting a couple aircraft in their older schemes. 1 to be painted in the old stars and stripes 70's scheme, 1 in the Rainbow scheme from the 80's and 1 kept in the current grey and blue. Looks like US started a trend, now if the airlines could just return to what they were when those airplanes were actually flying in those liveries, then that would be something........

Actually, DL rolled out their retro aircraft in '04, prior to the US retro planes.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0561331/M/

Actually, DL rolled out their retro aircraft in '04, prior to the US retro planes.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0561331/M/

Actually AA rolled out their retro aircraft in '00 prior to the DL retro planes

Feeling nostalgic and looking for a little retro-fashion? Then hop on American Airlines' Astrojet for a trip down memory lane. In 2000, American Airlines recreated the feel of the '50s and early '60s with the Astrojet, coinciding with the delivery of the carrier's 50th Next-Generation 737 airplane and commemorating the expanded legroom now standard in coach on all American Airlines jets. The Boeing 737-800 sports the same vintage livery that American's first 727s had in 1964.

Article

Astrojet

Air Canada also rolled out a retro job years ago on a A320.

Air Canada also rolled out a retro job years ago on a A320.
And there was an airline that had advertisements on the side. I want to say West Pacific? Not sure what airline, but they had a Simpsons plane, SamsTown. I hope that was a thing of the past.

That would be Western Pacific, and they flew some 737s that US had returned to the lessor and or sold.

Won't happen man. The US public expects everything, but wants to pay nothing.

Remember when AA had a hybrid theme of TWA. It would be nice if they honored TWA since they hold the rights to the name. TWA was a great airline.
Which TWA Scheme would be the best?

1) The One With the Globe on the Tail (1960-mid-'70's)
2) Red Box with TWA in White (Late '70's-Mid '90's)
3) The One with Blue White and the Gold Globe on the side (Last Scheme)

I would choose the Last One, Number 3. That was a real classy scheme. That stood out the way a plane should stand out. Beautiful, but Eligant. Bold, but Classy. They were a good airline but struck down by the change of time. But that would go against AA ways. Having to paint just more than the tail. That bare polished metal reminds me of the 1950's Air Force Fighter program and the test program that They had. Also reminds me of the old trailers for camping, the old tin. But that saves them on weight for lighter loads for fuel. Till a few extra 300 pound people start to get on-board, all needing seatbelt extensions. :lol:

Every airline that has tried to use MCI as a hub/focus has failed, ie Braniff and Eastern, and you see what happened to TWA at STL.

Back