Riding

aquagreen73s

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
The wife is totally against it and I guess I can't really blame her given the bad reputation motorcycles have, but I wanted to hear from experienced riders what their thoughts were on the subject. I've never riden and nobody in my family has really riden either other than my dad. He laid one down, a Goldwing, when he hit a dog that ran out in front of him and he never got on one again. Other than that, all I have in my extended family are a bunch of doctors and nurses whose heads spin a 360 with just the mention of the word "motorcycle." I'd like to get something easy and small, like a 650, and ride it mostly for fun but perhaps also to and from the airport. Any objective thoughts pro and con would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just one caution if you do get a bike - be a very defensive rider. It's amazing how many drivers will look right at a motorcyclist and never see them.

Jim

JMHO, don't get something underpowered for your riding abilities/habits (1000cc or more).
Skip the crotch rockets and don't be 'special' :p having your tank smack you in the chest is really not as desirable as it looks on TV. :blink:
Don't ride the white lines at 120 MPH and you should be just fine.
Respect and know your 'own' abilities and limitations. Know your 'ride' better than the Mrs.

I'm Looking for a used RoadKing as well.

But Christmas is coming and I'm due for a treat... :up:

Take Care,
B) UT

JMHO, don't get something underpowered for your riding abilities/habits (1000cc or more).

What about a beginner? Is a 600 or a 750 too small because they're easy to outgrow? From an outsider's perspective, I don't understand why anybody would need something bigger than a 1000 because that's more than enough horsepower to motor down the highway. It seems however that a lot of the bikes are in the 1000+ range. Torque and handling must be an addiction. Combine those with youthful ignorance and now you're talking about an accident waiting to happen. I'm eyeing something in the middle weight size, like a 600-750 sport touring bike.

And I totally appreciate being super defensive rider, Jim. There's a number of people who really shouldn't be on the road in anything bigger than a golf cart, but unfortunately that's not reality. They're out there in two ton SUVs and they'll negligently mow down anybody who happens to be in front of them, next to them, or even behind them. From what I've learned researching though, it seems that a very large percentage of motorcycle accidents involve rider stupidity and/or inebriation. Just the other day a local kid killed himself on his crotch rocket doing 120 on a surface street. Take riders like him out of the equation and motorcycles suddenly don't look as dangerous as many like to believe. I guess I'd like to know what the experiences are from those who are super defensive, who take precautions, who ride with eyes in the back of their helmet, don't do anything stupid, etc. A rider who exercises that sort of caution, what are the odds of something bad happening? I know it can't be anything like what the statistics would lead on.

Ok, here it is from someone who has only been riding for 2 years. I am 40 years old, so I am not some young kid who just went out and got a bike on a whim. If you are serious the first thing you need to do is go to a riding school. I live in AZ and there are several to choose from. Most cost around $150 to $200. They are more than worth it. Next you should get a starter size bike. Don't let anyone tell you things like ...you'll out grow it too soon. There is a huge used bike market out there,and you can get just about anything at a reasonable price. Why get a bike that is too big to start with? If it gets you killed because you weren't ready for it what good was it? After you go to school, get a good starter bike and get licensed, ride with experienced riders who will be willing to help you and ride at your pace. There is no better teacher on a motorcycle than experience. The person who said to be defensive when riding, said it all. Always,always,always! Assume that the vehicles around you are driven by complete morons who can't see you and at any moment are going to do something stupid. I am not trying to scare you out of a bike but you have to be careful. There is nothing like the rush of riding( at least in my book). Oh ya, After you've been riding awhile, I guaruntee you will support any legislation that limits,bans, or outlaws the use of cell phones/laptops while driving. That's my 2 cents. I hope it helped. :up:

From someone who lives in a "Helmet Free" state(NH), DO NOT EVER ride, without a helmet.

No matter how you "cut it", a dead "free spirit" is,....well...."DEAD" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bikes are great, IF you don't HAVE to ride them. I would advise anyone to never ride one in any city during heavy traffic hours. Also, do not just watch other vehicles, watch other drivers. If they are doing ANYTHING other than driving, eg. on a cell phone, consider them worse than a drunk driver. At least drunk drivers are trying to pay attention to the road.
I put 11000 miles on my last bike, a BMW RS model, in an 8 month period. On that bike I was run off the road twice. The first time was by a mother with an unrestrained child in the front seat who made a left turn in front of me, after waiting for two cars in front of me to clear the intersection. I was lucky with this one; I had a buddy who was killed in a similar situation when he hit the side of a van that cut him off. The second time was by someone on a cell phone who realized he was missing his highway exit as he was passing me on my left. The third and last incident I had while on this bike was also the last day I ever rode any motorcycle. I was riding center lane on a three lane interstate highway, in a city, during afternoon traffic hours. I was hit from behind by a car. I rolled off the back of my bike, onto the car's hood, and then off the car into the left lane of traffic. FORTUNATELY, the person I rolled in front of was paying attention and swerved to miss me, AND braked hard enough to get the attention of the person behind him, so I was not run over.
With 21 years of riding, the only incident I had had prior to these was on a Yamaha 850. It was literally a 'deer in the headlight' experience. I got the bike stopped, without laying it down, within just a few feet of the deer.

Heres some good advice:

Look into your states motorcycle safety course-its usually free....it is an excellent course in awareness,defensive driving and how to react to situations.It also will get you your license,an insurance discount and can save your life.
Usually it is offered through community colleges and takes around 4 class sessions and 4 riding sessions.

My brother in law is a fireman/paramedic here in DFW area. Oddly enough he said that out of the doner cycle (his words) accidents he goes to, the ones he have a better chance of living are the crotch rocket folks. He said the reason is that they are more likely to get the leathers and full helmet (too look cool?) and that those out fits protect them better than the cool looking shorts, wife beater T-shirts and due(sp?) rags that the cruiser folks wear.

I would love to ride a bike but I am adverse to pain and seeing my leg at angle that exceeds the design of the manufacture. I'll stick with my sport sedan.

Back