Inflight Tempest coming from Tempe? (MERGED TOPIC)

Perhaps it is only my perception of this program (which we have seen practiced before here on the West) but does anyone else sense that this is simply a form of micromanagement?

Yes, it would be nice to have an extra hand on board...but with only a select few people in this "coaching" program how often will one of us actually see you on one of our actual flights? My guess is once in maybe five years, or so.

If the company is truly dedicated to improving onboard customer service then let's negotiate a damn Load Factor program where extra crewmembers are provided when projected passenger load factors are in excess of say 75 or 80 percent. If Scheduling cannot provide an extra crewmember then the crew working minimum staffing gets a bump up in pay for having to work the flight with minimum staffing.

Flying with FAA minimum staffing sucks. Period. Just an example, I spoke with a crew from American while waiting for transportation in Maui and they could NOT believe that we are working FULL 757s to/from Hawaii with only four Flight Attendants. They thought we were joking! I wish we had been. :angry:

If we could get our Union to pull this off in our next contract, it would benefit everyone. The crews, the reserves, the customer, and yes, even the company....as they just might see customer complaints actually go down.

Things that make me go hmmmmmm.

...but with only a select few people in this "coaching" program how often will one of us actually see you on one of our actual flights?

let's negotiate a damn Load Factor program where extra crewmembers are provided when projected passenger load factors are in excess of say 75 or 80 percent. If Scheduling cannot provide an extra crewmember then the crew working minimum staffing gets a bump up in pay for having to work the flight with minimum staffing.

you said it, on the east we used to have 5X positions... they were only covered if the flights were booked over a certain percentage. it worked well.

I loved Patti as my supervisor in PIT. She was absolutely THE best hands down.
Agree. Patti was a great Superv and someone that will have no problems in the program. (There are a few.......and I will not name them (they will fall on their face ALL By Themselves) that do not belong in any position like that. There is one person in particular that I will personally be watching.........I have already spoken to The Company and Union about their antics in the past. The Program itself is not a bad initiative, it should have never been ALLOWED to get to where we are Today. (If only Inflt had a VP? :rolleyes: Silly me, she's been on hiatus/sabbatical or "Just Taste Testing".......what the hell else do You want Her to do? :lol: )

All of these Observation Riders and Inflight Coaches onboard many of our flights are taking a seat away from a paying customer. Lost revenue. The lead aka A flight attendant can do the same thing observation reporting without discipline. Why not crew the flight with one more flight attendant. Why take a revenue seat?
Lets see what’s a good seat for these guys? Center in the back

They are positive space which means they can be bumped for a revenue passenger, so they aren't taking any revenue or passenger seats. They are not crewed as an extra so the extra jumpseats crews use to commute are not occupied. From what I understand they are also to avoid high commuter traffic routes like PHL-PIT. The program is carefully designed to not disrupt anyone.

john john, what you describe is a purser program which US needs badly.

From what I understand they are also to avoid high commuter traffic routes like PHL-PIT. The program is carefully designed to not disrupt anyone.
Gloria Holtz will be very happy.

Hopefully Tempe listens to constructive feedback of problems inflight unless the program is purely designed to reinforce Tempe's flawed ideals.

I am not saying "all is forgiven" for their colossal stupidities, however apparently they are finally taking an interest in the uh product? The recent USA today article that referenced our LGW service singled out the food at "lousy" and the service as "lousier". Who's to bet that the crew did Push pull, no juice and water and then the arrival service? Or what about the Caribbean flights where they do push pull and that's it.

The thing is, the service, mediocre as it may be, is better on paper than what is often being delivered. If we could at least deliver what is written, and consistently, maybe we wouldn't be the worst airline in the world. I am reminding myself over an over that I no longer work for an airline that aspires to be more. I work for a flying bus company, however it does not have to be this bad. At the very least we are capable of CONSISTENT mediocrity, instead of inconsistent alternating abysmal/ acceptable service.

I had a person light into me for a perceived lack in the service. Someone had decided to play Santa on his last flight, so guess who looks bad for doing the procedure? My mistake was standing there and listening instead of immediately cutting them off with "US is a low cost carrier, sir". If we finally get some consistency in our service, maybe then we can exert more pressure on US to be honest with customers.

At any rate, we all need to sit up and take notice, know what your rights are and familiarize yourselves with procedures, as nice as these "coaches" may be, they don't always know what they're talking about. At the same time I respect their fortitude. Good luck on the Frankfurt flight.

They are positive space which means they can be bumped for a revenue passenger, so they aren't taking any revenue or passenger seats. They are not crewed as an extra so the extra jumpseats crews use to commute are not occupied. From what I understand they are also to avoid high commuter traffic routes like PHL-PIT. The program is carefully designed to not disrupt anyone.
Observation Rider is schedule CLT-DFW-CLT and the flights are ½ full and all of a Sudden AA has some cancellations and now the flight is overbook by 15 it is your understanding that the NRPS observation rider is bump. If this happens a lot of agents and the observation rider will be very surprises

Wow, I heard (mistakenly it seems) that Patti left years ago. A real sweetheart and was one of the “goodâ€￾ Supervisors in PIT.
Patti is presently filling in the PIT supervisor position that Jeannie Grano left when she retired in October......Patti is GREAT ! Good to see her on the list !

Observation Rider is schedule CLT-DFW-CLT and the flights are ½ full and all of a Sudden AA has some cancellations and now the flight is overbook by 15 it is your understanding that the NRPS observation rider is bump. If this happens a lot of agents and the observation rider will be very surprises

They then switch to a different flight. The same as they always have. I may be a "new kid" with my measly decade of service, but east has had this program as long as I've been around... so the observation riders are nothing new. The observation program is an east thing, the coach thing is a west one.

Can we still interview for these positions? (I was recently not selected for a starring role in the new safety video and am leary of American West style regional budget airline interviews)

I would like to monitor only the following segments (turns preferred) only on Tue/Wed/Thu:

PIT-PHL-PIT
PIT-CLT-PIT
PIT-PHX-PIT
PIT-FLL-PIT
PIT-LAS-PIT
PIT-LAX-PIT
PIT-LGA-PIT
PIT-MCO-PIT
PIT-SFO-PIT
PIT-TPA-PIT

I will only do this in the back. I don't do the front anymore (at least until we get real glassware for our *US1*s - I have too much self-respect for party cup ASU frat party service levels). My service levels will spread systemwide and many will be able to brag about providing Gloria Holtz service in the back of the 'bus.

I am a 37-year soon-to-be 38-year Allegheny/USAir/USAirways Stewardess/Flight Attendant who has dedicated my life to this airline. I have an Associates Degree from Western International University - the alma mater of VP of Flight Attendants, Sherry Shambles. I wear a size two uniform and am always well groomed with freshly applied Estee Lauder lipstick. I have spent a long time on international including many years on 782 PIT-FRA. I also have a lot of recent domestic experience because PIT has only had domestic in recent years. I think I am an excellent candidate.

P.S. Will this affect my Approved Intermittent Family Medical Leave of Absence? Also, I only want about 50 hours per month and prefer to stay away from the 757 and 330.