Scrutinizing Siegel

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Scrutinizing Siegel: CEO of ailing U.S. Airways is being closely monitored
The rank-and-file's performance isn't the only part of US Airways to fall under the microscope. The ailing airline's CEO is being closely monitored, too.

Sunday, March 07, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Could David Siegel's days be numbered at US Airways?

The airline's chief executive officer is 3 1/2 weeks from being able to walk away from the Arlington, Va.-based carrier for any reason and collect $4.5 million in severance pay. This window, built into his contract during bankruptcy last year, is available for only 30 days, starting April 1.

Article

Jim

Good article.

I see the pilots union setting an example once again and work their way to getting Siegel to walk away on April 1st.

Siegel makes 600k after a cut he gave up.

Its amazing that Bronner has to come in and clean up a mess.. but you see everyone is willing to work with him.

Piedmont4US said:
Good article.

I see the pilots union setting an example once again and work their way to getting Siegel to walk away on April 1st.

Siegel makes 600k after a cut he gave up.

Its amazing that Bronner has to come in and clean up a mess.. but you see everyone is willing to work with him.
He wont leave!

There has been a rumor of late that Siegel's days here are numbered. OTOH, if that is true, the Irish saying about the divil ya know vs the divil ya don't know comes to mind...

Benz M-100 said:
There has been a rumor of late that Siegel's days here are numbered. OTOH, if that is true, the Irish saying about the divil ya know vs the divil ya don't know comes to mind...
In this case the devil we know is the superintendent of the entire realm of Sheol so we are safe in that respect.

He wont leave![/QUOTE]
I don't know about that, the old good guy, bad guy thing.........Bronner can be the good guy by letting Siegel walk away(with a cool 4+mil) and earn the respect of the unions. Companies used to play the same game with Chaisaw Al Dunlap.

Perhaps Siegel is the "bad cop", getting the dirty work done by beating on the labor groups ala chainsaw Al and then being replaced with some sort of "good cop" to rebuild the place. I'm a bit skeptical that there may be some new guy waiting in the wings, but does this scenario seem possible to anyone?

I doubt a "good cop's" mgt team would act as Glass et.al. so they would presumably be shown the door as well if this were actually going to happen. It does seem that there isn't enough time for all of this to occur before really bad things start happening around here, if we are to believe the mgt take on our situation.

If Siegal stays the possability of U folding are relatively high, if he leaves prepare yourself for more concessions. Is it possible for you to work with fewer (employees) for less?

Is it to late for someone else to step into Siegals shoes and save the airline?

AP Tech said:
He wont leave!
I don't know about that, the old good guy, bad guy thing.........Bronner can be the good guy by letting Siegel walk away(with a cool 4+mil) and earn the respect of the unions. Companies used to play the same game with Chaisaw Al Dunlap. [/QUOTE]

Folks,

Bronner is just the "money guy". He doesn't know a whole lot about the airline industry and will admit so if you ask him.

And, he won't throw anymore money at U while its in the "red". He also will not commit to putting more money in if it goes in the "black".

What I do know about Bronner that is crystal clear, is that he cares about labor. Labor that is in Alabama. If you pose the question to him, he will not comment on the 9 planes sitting in his backyard that is work that belongs to the U employees, nor will he comment on the "outsourcing" of work to Mesa with their "revenue guarantee" contracts from USAirways. :down:

There is only on man that can take that CEO seat if Siegel stepped down...and he is employed at U for 28 years and happens to be in a senior management position. HE HAS HIS THUMB ON THE PULSE OF THIS AIRLINE, and I believe, given the chance....WE WOULD SOAR under his leadership!!!

He understands this industry like no other. And he would drive this "bus" in the right direction.

There is only on man that can take that CEO seat if Siegel stepped down...and he is employed at U for 28 years and happens to be in a senior management position. HE HAS HIS THUMB ON THE PULSE OF THIS AIRLINE, and I believe, given the chance....WE WOULD SOAR under his leadership!!!

Pitbull

You have spiked my interest. Who would we be referring too? :huh:

Piedmont4US said:
I'm willing to go to work and do my job, but I'm not willing to give up anymore of my pay,benefits or work rules for this company EVER AGAIN! :shock:

Latest posts