Scrutinizing Siegel

I honestly find this Dave's escape clause in April to be interesting. Could that be the final carrot that would bring any union to the table that refuses to negotiate? Could this help the Good Cop - Bronner, bring he IAM or any other union to the table by promising to rid the company of the Bad Cop and his side kick Jerry?

IF - and that is a big if - the company were to squeeze the employees for a third round of concessions and succeed, there really isn't much left for Jerry to do.....he has already put the screws to the unions 3 times. So he gets a hefty severence package and becomes someone elses nightmare. Dave S is sacrificed by the BOD who suddenly have this tremendous compassion for the employees and want to replace the mean hatchet man with a more "employee friendly" CEO who will continue the work Bronner started in healing employee relations.

Daves gets nearly 7 years worth of his salary as a severence for beating the pulp out of employees and fast tracking a bankruptcy filing. The new guy comes to U with a growth plan and the lowest employee costs of the legacy carriers in the industry.

Very interesting theories........

MMW,

Now that all of this seems to be coming to a head, I remember talking to a CO employee. The thing that stands out most in my mind is the warning. "He's coming to getcha!"

I find your line of thinking more reality than mere speculation. Another "picture" that comes to mind is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Bronner walking on water? More like the dog eating what the cat dragged in.

I've been writing since Dec. 02 telling folks these union busters were not done with us yet. They are "concession junkies" and they won't be happy until labor is in poverty. And I mean the entire airline workers in the industry.

I think anyone should be careful what they wish for. Dave leaves ( which i dont think will happen ) who ever will more than likely cut even deeper.

golden1 said:
my .02 cents--dont let the door hit his backside on the way out....

:down:
Right on!

One little man single handedly tore moral to its lowest possible denominator, with the help of Jerry Glass, trying to break the unions. It's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if employees work for minimum wage with no benefits, costs come down, but this BOD chose to pay this team millions to do something any high school drop could figure out. They are totally clueless and we are paying the ultimate price for their ineptness while they move on with millions in their pockets. Welcome to corporate America where such people are given praises instead of their due. Hope the tide is changing with the latest corporate goddess being thrown in the slammer, now let’s get the other rats too!

I don't feel like some of you guys (and gals) aren't getting it.

For a decade and a half, the mechanics group has been told their worthless, wasteful, talentless, and common. Thankfullly we know better. But this constant beating has caused us to become calloused to the ranting and ravings of greedy management preditors. As a matter of fact, we've become masochistic.

Keep Dave, get rid of Dave. Pay Dave, stiff Dave. Love Dave, hate Dave. Move us, or keep us where we are.

WE DON'T CARE.

Let me repeat myself:

Siegel, Satan, or Santa, the mechanics consider their contract cast in cement until economic conditions change drastically, for labor.

Nothing personal, just business!

Siegel's departure from US would likely prove to be the final nail in the company's coffin. There's no chance that US will find a decent industry-insider CEO anytime soon -- remember that UA had to resort to an oilman who hadn't managed an airline for a day in his life. Seeing as US doesn't have the time to allow for a significant CEO learning curve, a new guy (or gal) will either: 1) demand immediate concessions far above and beyond what Siegel is asking or 2) begin an orderly dismantling of US Airways.

So yeah, the devil you know is WAY better than one you don't know right now...

avek00 said:
Siegel's departure from US would likely prove to be the final nail in the company's coffin. There's no chance that US will find a decent industry-insider CEO anytime soon -- remember that UA had to resort to an oilman who hadn't managed an airline for a day in his life.
Which is probably the best move United has made in 10 years.

With the exception of David Bonderman, there are no airline executives with the acumen to turn around any failing enterprise (much less an ailing airline) available at the current time, more importantly, it would be counterproductive to hire any of them.

Siegel, like most "airline insiders" is so far out of touch with the reality of a competitive industry that it makes those of us who work for profitable enterprises (not in the airline industry) sit back and laugh.

Seigel, if he had any operational acumen or leadership skills might have been able to turn the beast around. He spent too much time trying to beat the employees. Had he produced the current plan and then beat on the employees, I believe the reaction might have been different. Folks won't follow a loser.

It speaks volumes that nonunion employees are leaving in droves. That speaks directly to Siegel's (et al) leadership--the fact that he is now trying to justify retention bonuses for midlevel managers at CCY cements this--people don't want to work for a loser.

As an aside, UA brought in Tilton because he'd helped to lead Texaco out of Chapter 11 and into a growing and profitable concern. The other finalist for the job (John Walker, at the time the CEO of Weirton Steel Corp) was also more versed in turning around failed businesses and dealing with angry unions than running an airline in the traditional groupthink "industry insider" way. There was, and is, a reason for this.

US, unfortunately, decided to gamble on Siegel, and it looks like they lost.

Seems like Mr Bronner has been making the commens in the news lately, rather than Mr Siegel....

I wonder if he is planning on leaving?