Question about flight attendant sick calls

FlightChic

Veteran
Feb 18, 2007
Let's say you are on reserve and you call in sick for a few days. Then you are off for three days. You are still sick when it is time to go back on duty so you call in sick again for the next few days. Then you are off for a few, still feel sick and call in sick again...

Our contract says we can call in sick for up to 21 days. Does that 21 days only count the days we were supposed to be on duty with SCK by our names or are days off included in that 21 day sick occurence? e.g.

1 SCK
2 SCK
3 SCK
4 OFF
5 OFF
6 OFF
7 SCK
8 SCK
9 SCK
10 SCK
11 INV
12 INV
13 INV

So is that considered a 13 day sick call or a 7 day sick call?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

BTW, I did just email the union as well but perhaps someone here will answer before they get a chance and I need this info sooner rather than later. :)

Let's say you are on reserve and you call in sick for a few days. Then you are off for three days. You are still sick when it is time to go back on duty so you call in sick again for the next few days. Then you are off for a few, still feel sick and call in sick again...

Our contract says we can call in sick for up to 21 days. Does that 21 days only count the days we were supposed to be on duty with SCK by our names or are days off included in that 21 day sick occurence? e.g.

FlightChic: neither, this is a 10 day sick call, unless you call in sick after your INV days, then it continues. You might want to call SKED on your INV days to let them know that your sick call ended on your last day on call. This will just cover your fanny, just in case they try to pull something funny.

PSA1979

So wait, it does include off/inv days or no?

In other words, could it be 21 days or really closer to 30 with off days?

I'm pretty sure that whole period would count. I have had 2 freinds in CLT who were called by there supr. after the 21 days out of work. I guess they are checking to see if you are still breathing or not. My thought was, hell, you have been out for at least 3 weeks, I would be calling also.

So wait, it does include off/inv days or no?

In other words, could it be 21 days or really closer to 30 with off days?

In the example given, it would be 10 days if she returned to work on the 14th (Based on PSAs explanation), which means the OFF days that fall between the Sick Call are counted but not those after if you return to work on the next duty period.

In the example given, it would be 10 days if she returned to work on the 14th (Based on PSAs explanation), which means the OFF days that fall between the Sick Call are counted but not those after if you return to work on the next duty period.

Zarah is correct. The Company cannot count days off if there are no on days after that you called in sick for. The same goes for block holders. If I call in sick for two 3day trips and have 4 days off in between, then I am sick for 10 days. That is as long as I don't call in sick for the next trip. after my last days off.

92002-1 SCK
92002-2 SCK
92002-3 SCK
off SCK
off SCK
off SCK
off SCK
92001-1 SCK
92001-2 SCK
92001-3 SCK
off
off
off

PSA1979

Thanks. I also heard you should actually do 20, not 21 for some reason.

Here is the exact language in our contract:

B. Notification
27 1. Any flight attendant who is unable to report for duty due to illness
28 shall notify Crew Scheduling as soon as possible.
30 2. A flight attendant who is unable to report to work for twenty-one
31 (21) calendar days following the origination of a sick call will be required to
32 notify his/her supervisor/supervisory team of such. Sick calls lasting more
33 than twenty-one (21) calendar days will require medical documentation to
34 support the flight attendant’s need for a leave of absence.

I added the bold.

PSA1979

Flight Attendants are HOT!

56091.jpg

Is it true you never wear panties?

Thanks. I also heard you should actually do 20, not 21 for some reason.
-
Page 8-6 Section K states .....(21) or more consecutive calendar days, he/she is required to contact his/her Inflight Supervisor and may be placed on MES, MAS,LFP, or PCP status, if appropriate based on the documentation provided........

So, I would say 20, but I do not know for sure.

Its 20 calendar days, once you are out 21 days you usually receive some sort of notification from Inflt. I believe that notification consists of MED leave of absences information, FMLA information as well as requesting something from a doctor as to when you will be able to return to work.

The contract is online at afausairways.org
...and available in the crewroom,
why not pick one up? Then you would know.

-
Page 8-6 Section K states .....(21) or more consecutive calendar days, he/she is required to contact his/her Inflight Supervisor and may be placed on MES, MAS,LFP, or PCP status, if appropriate based on the documentation provided........

So, I would say 20, but I do not know for sure.

You can call UP TO 21 days NOT including the 21st day.

Therefore, you are correct!! It is only 20 days and on the 21st you would be at the mercy of the company (i.e doctor's note etc.....)

As a reserve, I recommend using ALL 20 days of that sick call as it would be a waste of time to only take a few days. Be prepared to have a reallly shi$$y paycheck though.

I find it funny that they will take 100% of the time but only pay you 70%...what the f^&^ is that all about?

YEP you know the guys that wear no underwear and REALLY tight flatfront pants. :lol: ;) Excuse me....would you like anything from "the basket". :p

Latest posts