some stations "closed" for bumping? WTF?

Watdahail?

Jul 3, 2008
WTF??

I have been reading and lurking for awhile in this board but I have decided to post because I really want/need clarification on this.. because I'm in a station that I'm thinking I may get a layoff, if not a bump out...(not San Juan)

According to some so called TWU union leadership in DFW/MIA/LAS/IAH and maybe a few more, they are spreading to their local membership that their stations are "closed for bumping" ?? How can that be? Especially since MIA has new hires, DFW has 2001-2005 seniority FSC's..IAH has folks less seniority than I do (13 years) and that even the SJU folks won't get to go anywhere but SFO and JFK. ...My local leadership says they are full of B*#%#)%T and just trying to get people to not want to go there. If I am correct, the contract states that a FSC can bump any junior FSC in the same title and class???

ANy thoughts?

WTF??

I have been reading and lurking for awhile in this board but I have decided to post because I really want/need clarification on this.. because I'm in a station that I'm thinking I may get a layoff, if not a bump out...(not San Juan)

According to some so called TWU union leadership in DFW/MIA/LAS/IAH and maybe a few more, they are spreading to their local membership that their stations are "closed for bumping" ?? How can that be? Especially since MIA has new hires, DFW has 2001-2005 seniority FSC's..IAH has folks less seniority than I do (13 years) and that even the SJU folks won't get to go anywhere but SFO and JFK. ...My local leadership says they are full of B*#%#)%T and just trying to get people to not want to go there. If I am correct, the contract states that a FSC can bump any junior FSC in the same title and class???

ANy thoughts?

Latest on DFW is that they are laying off close to 120 FSC's. If you get layed off, you can bump into any station that has openings, now if no stations have any openings then you must bump the junior FSC in the entire system...that's how i understand it?? I've heard just about every station is laying somebody off except for a very few.

Well that makes more sense than what I was first told thru the rumor mill which was "DFW isnt laying off but is protecting their station from high seniority SJU people". For MIA we were told that MIA/DADE had a law saying they had to hire local people.... IAH..came up with some rule about "proximity to ports??" ..LAS..same situation as DFW..we were told no layoffs but 'protecting our own'"

Most likely will be MIA for us...if thats the case since they are hiring off the street..but if all the SJU and other layoffs go there..well MIA will be high seniority before you know it. No Full timers with less that 1998 and no P/T under 2001...makes ya think.

You are correct sir !

Now if 13 years give you(say) 8/1/95 seniority, and you get displaced from your current station, HDQ, can mathmatically determine(when it's your turn to BUMP) what stations.......AT THAT EXACT TIME, contain the most JUNIOR FSC in the system.

Lets say your the MOST senior..."8/1/95" system wide, due to a "tie breaker" such as AGE.

When YOU get your BUMP sheet, you can't predict with certainty, that the MOST JUNIOR man is in DFW/MIA/ORD when it's your time to declare.
I know that sounds "unlikely", but mathmatically in can happen that way.

Sounds like you may be in the state of Texas(GOD HELP YOU),............, when YOUR get your sheet, it usually has 1/2 dozen stations to pick from(And as I say, if your THE MOST senior...8/1/95, you know you'll get your first pick of the stations on your sheet,.....Which "COULD" be(say) JFK/BOS/LAX/EWR/LGA and hypothetically IAD.

None of these Obviously help you.

Also, DEMAND to see the Master seniority list from the Union, if you suspect that a junior(to you)..8/1/95 got DFW, after all the bumping is done,................cause THAT HAS happened before !!!

Also, DEMAND to see the Master seniority list from the Union, if you suspect that a junior(to you)..8/1/95 got DFW, after all the bumping is done,................cause THAT HAS happened before !!!

Bears, If I read what you wrote correctly, you are saying that AA and the TWU would try to screw over someone. Isn't the TWU just an onlooker holding the KY jelly for AA?

Well that makes more sense than what I was first told thru the rumor mill which was "DFW isnt laying off but is protecting their station from high seniority SJU people". For MIA we were told that MIA/DADE had a law saying they had to hire local people.... IAH..came up with some rule about "proximity to ports??" ..LAS..same situation as DFW..we were told no layoffs but 'protecting our own'"

Most likely will be MIA for us...if thats the case since they are hiring off the street..but if all the SJU and other layoffs go there..well MIA will be high seniority before you know it. No Full timers with less that 1998 and no P/T under 2001...makes ya think.

From the looks of the SJU seniority list, there doesn't look like a lot of the FSC's getting Rif'ed there have that much seniority, most of them don't even qualify for the $12.500 either. How many SJU FSC's will move with no $12.5, plus pay extra for shipping the wife's car via boat, etc...If think if some don't get MIA, they will quit...

I've heard that most of the FSC's getting rif'ed system wide don't qualify for the $12'500, so we'll see who all want's to move or quit..

I've heard rumors in the past about stations closing for transfers, but im not sure if they can do that with all the layoff's. I know everybody wants to protect the guys in their stations from higher seniority bumping in.

From the looks of the SJU seniority list, there doesn't look like a lot of the FSC's getting Rif'ed there have that much seniority, most of them don't even qualify for the $12.500 either. How many SJU FSC's will move with no $12.5, plus pay extra for shipping the wife's car via boat, etc...If think if some don't get MIA, they will quit...

I've heard that most of the FSC's getting rif'ed system wide don't qualify for the $12'500, so we'll see who all want's to move or quit..

I've heard rumors in the past about stations closing for transfers, but im not sure if they can do that with all the layoff's. I know everybody wants to protect the guys in their stations from higher seniority bumping in.

Isn't SJU laying off up to 88 or 90"?...200-250 FSC'S is what I heard...
We did hear alot will go to MIA just to plan to commute..because in SJU a 20 dollar an hour job is hard to come by...

Who in their right mind would want to go to MIA anyway. The cost of living alone mixed with the current economic climate makes it impossible for anyone newly moved in to make it. Those who have lived there for years already feel the pinch of taxes and insurance. 20 bucks an hour doesn't quite cut it when you are paying for insurance on a home in hurricane alley! Property taxes have skyrocketed and new moves don't qualify for the homestead exemption right away. Rental living in anything decent is nuts as well as due to the aforementioned taxes and insurance, rental rates are through the roof as well. Rents have more than doubled in many places since Hurricanes Wilma and Katrina. (Yes, Katrina hit FL too) and Wilma made Andrew look like childsplay.

The best bet would be to go as far inland as you can. I don't know about openings at MIA but they have been massively short head count for quite some time and haven't been filling the slots.

Commuting may not be an option with flights packed to the overheads and oversold to boot. Employees commuting don't take priority when there is revenue to be had.

Wow, that sounds complicated!

AT NW, it simple; if you have 8/1/95 seniority (to use NHBB's example) in any given classification, you can bump anyone at any city with less.

Who in their right mind would want to go to MIA anyway. The cost of living alone mixed with the current economic climate makes it impossible for anyone newly moved in to make it. Those who have lived there for years already feel the pinch of taxes and insurance. 20 bucks an hour doesn't quite cut it when you are paying for insurance on a home in hurricane alley! Property taxes have skyrocketed and new moves don't qualify for the homestead exemption right away. Rental living in anything decent is nuts as well as due to the aforementioned taxes and insurance, rental rates are through the roof as well. Rents have more than doubled in many places since Hurricanes Wilma and Katrina. (Yes, Katrina hit FL too) and Wilma made Andrew look like childsplay.

The best bet would be to go as far inland as you can. I don't know about openings at MIA but they have been massively short head count for quite some time and haven't been filling the slots.

Commuting may not be an option with flights packed to the overheads and oversold to boot. Employees commuting don't take priority when there is revenue to be had.

in SJU from what I hear..someone would be lucky to get a job at 12 bucks an hr...so I guess 20 bucks plus OT plus CSW..better than being at a part time job as a hotel shuttle driver I guess...this is only what they telling me. I dont want to go to Miami at all...but i cant go out either and get a job paying 60K a year..yeah it goes alot farther in TX..I might be able to get into building...competing with illegals working for 8 bucks an hr...