Sources say ALPA accord near

Just say NO ! Chapter 7 ? I think most of us know it's over . If not in the next few weeks , certainly within 12 months . So why prolong the agony ?

Its time to close this chapter in our lives and look forward to the next .

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 9:52:25 PM oldcrow wrote:

Just say NO ! Chapter 7 ? I think most of us know it's over . If not in the next few weeks , certainly within 12 months . So why prolong the agony ?

Its time to close this chapter in our lives and look forward to the next .
----------------
[/blockquote]
crow fly away we want to stay around this place you may want to try the route south

Oldcrow:

Many employees do not feel the way you do and would like to continue to work at US. If you feel that way, maybe you should resign and permit some one junior to you to remain employed.

Nobody likes this situation, but there are people in all work groups who want to remain at US.

Chip

Old Crow has a right to speak his/her mind. When I used to work for a congressman, each letter was considered to represent 100 opinions. Stop being so sensitive. I know you are scared. Heck, you might have to come and work for me!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/7/2002 10:16:46 PM chipmunn wrote:
[P]Oldcrow:[BR][BR]Many employees do not feel the way you do[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"]But many many more do I work with plenty of em.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR] [BR][BR]and would like to continue to work at US.[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"]If I wanted to work for eagle wages, i woulda gone to work for eagle.[/FONT][/STRONG] [BR][BR]If you feel that way, maybe you should resign and permit some one junior to you to remain employed.[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"]Is that the best you can come up with?Quit [BR][BR][/FONT][/STRONG]Nobody likes this situation, but there are people in all work groups who want to remain at US.[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"]We all would man, but not when we get **** on at every turn and told if we dont give even more theyll chapter 7 the place.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR]Chip----------------[BR][BR][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]

Pitguy , You are right . Chip and phljr need to get their head out of the sand (or someplace else) and look around . It will take as many rounds of givebacks as needed to get this place down to an Airbus 320 only airline . That will be around 160+ aircraft and about 2100 pilots . Then RSA can make their $$$ and and go back to Bama .

On 12/6/2002 8:30:54 PM RedOne wrote:

My question is...what are you gonna get back? In my 36 years in this business, I have NEVER known pilots to give anything to anyone with their right hand....unless they were guaranteeded that they would get it and more back with their left hand.
----------------

Really? You must not be paying attention very well then. So far the pilots aren't getting a thing back just like the other groups.
7.gif']

I thought they outlawed slavery, but maybe it is still legal in Alabama as long as your slaves are airline workers. I hope my retirement fund never has to resort to destroying families to make money.

Boomer

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary -

featherbed 1a : to require more workers to be hired than needed

Examples -

Paying pilots to not to work trips so that other pilots can be trained.

Paying lincensed mechanics to park and push back airplanes.

Flight attentands who are on the 55 hour option and recieve full time benefits.

Cleaners and baggage handlers watching TV in the breakroom instead of working late flights that were not their assignment.

Gate and reservation agents - I have not seen any examples.

Freedom...curious. What's your job?
I'm in f/s...and in a small station. Yes, we have down time...bit it's not unusual for an agent to work the bag room, carry bags to the aircraft, help load them, then go back to the bag room and close out the flight. Tell me what else you want...then get em to send us a mainline flt every hour...we'll gladly work it!

I'll go RedOne one better.

Ten years ago fleet in all but a few locations did not clean, deice, or airstart aircraft. Now we do all that, plus the FAA mandated security checks. PLUS, in the CWA/IAM fleet contracts, cross-utilization is prescribed. Management NEVER does it.

I'd like for another represented group at U to tell me the list of responsibilities added to their job description from 10 years ago.

Freedom, agents were unrepresented until 1999. Management had their way will us for the decade prior to that - we were employees at will. All the initial contracts accomplished was to stop the bleeding - we made no progress getting back what had been lost.

freedom,

Has it ever occured to you that having a mechanic at the gate during pushback is the one time that a mechanic can most effectively prevent a delay?

An individual on the headset, in direct communication with the Pilot, that has the technical expertise and the license for the advice offered prevents a large portion of the delays that would otherwise normally occur.

While those in the cockpit are licensed and supremely aquited to perform their individual tasks, many cannot and should not concern themselves with the entire operational systems required to safely perform flight operations. Simply stated, pilots are hired to fly aircraft and within the US transportation system do an extremely good job of doing so. The mechanics are charged with maintaining the reliability of that aircraft and have done an equally good job but are more familiar with the individual systems that are required for its' operation.

On more than one occasion, I've had the opportunity to interface with a flight crew that was experiencing and abnormality during the initial flight phase. If I had been able to offer my help earlier, a delay may have never occured.

Delays cost money. Saving money is the name of the game. This does not mean that the wing walkers need to be mechanics but it does mean that during the crucial period that exists just prior to a pushback and during the pushback; a licensed mechanic should be readily available.

The only way to ensure that a mechanic is available is to have him pushing the aircraft.

The other opportunity is during the arrival of a flight. A licensed mechanic that guides in an aircraft and then debriefs the flight crew as to the status of the aircraft ensures that any anomaly noted is dealt with before the outbound crew arrives. Again, the only way to ensure that the individual is available is for him to be assigned to direct the aircraft in to the gate.

TRY AGAIN.