SW: Just how do they do it?

On time figures for February 2003?!

I myself was snowed in Philly for DAYS! and I was just driving to DC.

I can''t imagine that comparing performance stats between U and SWA for February 2003 (with SWA flying around TX and CA) is instructive of anything but how THE STORM OF THE CENTURY at PHL, DCA, BWI and even CLT, as I recall, can skew statistics, leading to specious conclusions.

Just FYI.

Various thoughts.
Regarding baggage numbers and statistics overall, I guess it just depends on what time frame you want to use. From Jan-Sept 2002 US mishandled baggage numbers were 3.01/1000 pax ranking 2nd overall vs WN 3.54/1000 pax ranking 5th. I''m sure the numbers could be different if a different time frame was used, this was just the one that I found first.

Starting yesterday US Fleet Service agents in many cities are now in charge of cleaning planes and doing R&D. It depends on the city and the specific agreement (there are about 3 or 4 different plans as to who does what where depending on the city), but I do know that many more mechanics and utility agents last day was Monday. The cost savings from this arrangement have yet to be seen.

Also, why does Dave (or someone else in charge) insist on sending out at .37 cents each postage, plus printing and associated material and labor cost, letters with the same information that I get a work in the computer, at home on the HUB and across the teletype machine. QUIT WASTING MY MONEY UNLESS ITS REQUIRED BY THE GOVT. We received a letter in the mail with a Q&A about the 5% cuts. This was another $10,000-11,000+ that was WASTED! STOP IT NOW AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. This was not required legally to be sent out to every employee. While I appreciate the attempt at open communication, use the tools you have more wisely and quit squandering away money that I just gave up to tell me why I''m giving more up. If this were the first time this has happened I can understand, but how many of these have we received recently and how many times have we asked to stop it. When is someone going to see how destructive it is to continue wasting money that is blatantly not required while at the same time, asking for us to give up more and more and complaining about our costs? I have no problem helping out, but when blatant waste is coming from CCY it makes you wonder what else they are doing to waste my give back money on.

----------------
On 4/2/2003 9:55:38 AM RowUnderDCA wrote:

On time figures for February 2003?!

I myself was snowed in Philly for DAYS! and I was just driving to DC.

I can''t imagine that comparing performance stats between U and SWA for February 2003 (with SWA flying around TX and CA) is instructive of anything but how THE STORM OF THE CENTURY at PHL, DCA, BWI and even CLT, as I recall, can skew statistics, leading to specious conclusions.

Just FYI.

----------------​
Can statistics be manipulated to show what you want them to? Absolutely! Is WN''s business as concentrated in the northeast as U''s? Nope. Did BWI being shut down from a Sunday morning until a Tuesday evening skew our numbers too? You bet! ISP,PVD,MHT and BDL were all shut down too for a period of time there as well and that didn''t help either.
My point was Piney said our bag numbers weren''t that good and the most recent statistics available said they weren''t that bad either(could they be better? you bet!)
It wasn''t my intention to flame and I wish all of you and U the very best in the future.

Take care