SWA should be hiring again

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. SWA should be hiring externally again here very soon:SWA just posted 5 more "new" positions in Dallas for the 4th line of maint. Check Southwest.com numerous times daily. If and when these positions go "unsuccessful bid" SWA will then post externally on Southwest.com. The current bid #57-12 will close on 5-23-12. Good luck to you all. A little birdie has said they will try and accomodate the A&P mechs applying from the rifs at Alliance. I have heard the best times to watch for the external postings are from 7am to 12 noon. They usually only post the positions for a couple of hours due to the enormous amount of applicants applying.
Also, if you know someone already here, contact them and let them know that your going to apply. We can still send in recomendations to the company. We already have picked up a few of the Alliance and DFW AA mechs. I will try to check the site myself and repost when I see it. Again, Good luck guys...

Reactions: 6 people
I know most of you guys know this so forgive me for repeating. However, there maybe some newbies coming onboard.
For some of you that don't know, I wanted to add; SWA has dedicated to 90 new mechanics instead of the 40-60 they have previously said. They originally stated that they will do 5 mechs per month every month until they reach desired 90 headcount for 4th line that will start July 2013 (we have this date in writing now). I have also been told that from time to time starting now, they will increase the number per month to 10 to "catch-up" the shortage of mechanics we have currently. This is just how SWA runs, very lean and mean. Once they are "caught-up" from shortages they will revert back to the 5 per month. I believe the number of shortages is somewhere around 15-25. We are short due to the extra 2.0 new interior mod line. What they did was stole aprox 16-20 guys from graveyard structures to knock out the interior mod. Starting I think June 1, they want to start running one A/C per night thru the mod line. They will have to fill with these new mechs in order to get this done, as well as some of our back shops that support the mod line with the new 2.0 interior.
Again act quickly when you see the postings on Southwest.com, goto carrers, and select all job openings. I believe you can E-mail alert yourself when a pacific job position that you have chosen comes open. However, DO NOT count on the E-mailer to work, I signed up a while back to see, and it never notified me of the postings.
I know you guys are going thru alot of BS right now. Hopefully we can pick alot of you guys up that know you maybe getting released anyway. It would be alot less stressfull leaving on your own terms instead of AA's. Good luck brothers...

Reactions: 2 people
This is what I miss, actually caring about my company, it would be nice to know that my work matters. Instead of no matter now hard I work, I will be blamed for AA's problems by the boss's, then I will have to take some kind of concession.

This is what I miss, actually caring about my company, it would be nice to know that my work matters. Instead of no matter now hard I work, I will be blamed for AA's problems by the boss's, then I will have to take some kind of concession.

We all care about our companies that we all work for. After all, if our company is not successful, then we may not be successful. The more we, as employees, can put forth to help make our companies successful, then the more we will be too. Call me what you want, but, I will do everything I can to get the aircraft off the ground back to revenue flight as much as possible. If it takes working thru breaks and lunches, then so be it, the payback from the company will come back to me later, mostly in job security and profitability which will help maintain my wages for a long time to come. I pray and hope we will never have to go thru concessions or a BK. I will not say that it will never happen, but I do believe I am with the best airline company out there that will have the absolute best possible success to avoid such hardship. Please spread the word amungst all the fellow AA mechanics about SWA hiring, would like to see them move over to SWA without any delay with the rifs that might affect them soon, and hopefully they won't have to relocate as most all the future hirings will be for Dallas love field. Good luck fellas...

I use to think like that until recently, after 2003 concessions to save our airline, while the executives gave themselves bonus's until 2008 when our contract became amendable, and our executives delayed contract talks for YEARS then those same executives that got the bonus's because they are so valuable to AMR filed for BK. hopefully you never have this kind of leadership.

Wow, tommorrow is my 22nd anniversary at AA. Today I filled out my resume and uploaded it to Southwest.com, strange but it felt good. It felt right. 22 years at AA the last 18 at AFW. I`m ready to move on.

Wow, tommorrow is my 22nd anniversary at AA. Today I filled out my resume and uploaded it to Southwest.com, strange but it felt good. It felt right. 22 years at AA the last 18 at AFW. I`m ready to move on.
I feel the same way DevilDog, with my AA resume I'm feeling pretty confident I can land a job paying about the same with better benefits. Good luck to ya. Semper Fi !

Reactions: 1 person

Sad; that it took you 22 years, but even sadder that you're still hoping to stay on in a loser business.

Uncalled for. Piss off barfbag. I`m an airplane guy, it`s what I do.
Stop and think for a minute - you're a mechanic that happens to hold FAA Airframe and Powerplant certificates.That alone says quite a bit about you. Your wrenches fit a helluva lot more than the bolts on aircraft - limiting yourself to being "an airplane guy" is self defeating.

Barfbag didn't use the greatest amount of tact but he didn't lie to you. None of us are simply "airplane guys" - we're all quite a bit more than that and aren't limited by that "airplane" identifier, except by choice.

Stop and think for a minute - you're a mechanic that happens to hold FAA Airframe and Powerplant certificates.That alone says quite a bit about you. Your wrenches fit a helluva lot more than the bolts on aircraft - limiting yourself to being "an airplane guy" is self defeating.

Barfbag didn't use the greatest amount of tact but he didn't lie to you. None of us are simply "airplane guys" - we're all quite a bit more than that and aren't limited by that "airplane" identifier, except by choice.
Thanks Frank. Hey I`m certainly not closed off to another line of work. I`d relish a new challenge. I`m comfortable and proficient in the "airplane" world. I still derive a bit of satisfaction seeing one clear the fence. Granted being "comfortable" is a double edged sword. Amyway I`m looking at several different places and it`s not all airplane work.

Reactions: 1 person
Energy Powerplant and railroads are always looking for aircraft mechanics. Don't limit yourselves. That's my next stop

Thanks Frank. Hey I`m certainly not closed off to another line of work. I`d relish a new challenge. I`m comfortable and proficient in the "airplane" world. I still derive a bit of satisfaction seeing one clear the fence. Granted being "comfortable" is a double edged sword. Amyway I`m looking at several different places and it`s not all airplane work.
That's good - I like to hear things like that. I'm comfortable in that airplane world also but realize there's little there of interest anymore - certainly not anything to depend on as a reliable source of income regardless of how hard one works.

We haven't a prayer of winning in this mess except for on a personal level because we, as workers, don't have millions to spend on lawyers as does the company and our supposed "representation".

... but winning on that personal level is really all that matters, isn't it?

Reactions: 3 people
A good aircraft mechanic is still an asset to an airline or even a contractor.
I have always said that you are worth what you can negotiate, not what you think you are worth. Our biggest problem is our union, not us as AMTs and maybe the biggest hurdle any of us would have outside of AA is shedding the image of a lazy ass disgruntled union employee. There are still jobs out there for good mechanics that are willing to earn the pay they think they are worth.
Somehow Southwest has the relationship between labor and management figured out so good luck to anyone that has the balls to make the change and the good fortune to get hired.