Tampa Hangar-just One Of Three Hundred

BoeingBoy said:
A320Driver,

"Makes sense to me union or no union. First in , last out."

I agree with the sentiment - that's why I've often said a union is better than no union, warts and all.

However, I suspect Siegel would love to replace us old-timers with new-hires off the street as fast as he could train them, pay them whatever he wanted, few benes, and no retirement.

Jim
I have worked on both sides of the fence, union and non-union, over a 30-year period. I can say from experience this is how it is: When things are going great and you are doing your job in a non-union environment things are peachy. But, when things turn sour in an economic turndown, the non-union places suddenly become hostile. I have seen people furloughed that had years of service and new hires stayed because they were better workers and made less. I have seen benefits taken away at a whim; just because and if you don't like it you can be replaced. Basically it comes down to human nature. Without getting into a belief system discussion, I will just say the dark side of the human element shines through brightly in a non-union environment, especially when things are not going well, but even when things are ok employees are sometimes abused. Employees that are treated unfairly must endure whatever is handed them or simply quit. If what I am saying is false, and mankind was basically good minus the dark side, unions would not exist, but they do for these very reasons. Dave and his hatchet men would have a ball if we were a non-union airline, but since there are unionized, he is held accountable and must treat people fair and as equals. Look at what he does even with unions, and then imagine Dave’s actions left unfettered.

careerfurloughee said:
A320 Driver said:
Makes sense to me union or no union. First in , last out.

A320 Driver
Why do you think the company cares what makes sense to you ? With no contract the job goes to the lowest bidder. Want to get into a bidding war with those that you have cast off to MDA et al ? Are you so obtuse as to not understand that all that stands between you and the huddled masses is your UNION contract ?

Career Furloughee

Obtuse?? Maybe so. Just add that to the list:

Fed up with politics.

Fed up with negotiations.

Fed up with the lack of leadership.

Fed up with the lack of operational change.

Fed up with role call votes.

Fed up with grandstanding by MEC members.

Fed up with business as usual.

Fed up with PHL.

Fed up with gas prices.

Fed up with car payments.

Fed up with the inability to sell my house.

Fed up with job insecurity.

Obtuse... :ph34r:

A320 Driver B)

Maybe I'm fed up with everything! :up:

I do enjoy posting though and then watching a bunch of you go off like roman candles. It's about all the entertainment I get these days.

A320 Driver :p

Lighten up dudes and dudessess

cavalier said:
BoeingBoy said:
A320Driver,
I have worked on both sides of the fence, union and non-union, over a 30-year period. I can say from experience this is how it is: When things are going great and you are doing your job in a non-union environment things are peachy. But, when things turn sour in an economic turndown, the non-union places suddenly become hostile. I have seen people furloughed that had years of service and new hires stayed because they were better workers and made less. I have seen benefits taken away at a whim; just because and if you don't like it you can be replaced. Basically it comes down to human nature. Without getting into a belief system discussion, I will just say the dark side of the human element shines through brightly in a non-union environment, especially when things are not going well, but even when things are ok employees are sometimes abused. Employees that are treated unfairly must endure whatever is handed them or simply quit. If what I am saying is false, and mankind was basically good minus the dark side, unions would not exist, but they do for these very reasons. Dave and his hatchet men would have a ball if we were a non-union airline, but since there are unionized, he is held accountable and must treat people fair and as equals. Look at what he does even with unions, and then imagine Dave’s actions left unfettered.

Well put, Cav.

Bob, Scotty Ford has taken three paycuts and benefit cuts, he participated in the UAL EFLOP and lost his stock like the rest of the employees, he also had his salary cut with the US and UA Concessions, same as the employees.

Hey!, since we got off the subject of this thread let me add a little humour...

Snappy Answer #1
A flight attendant was stationed at the departure gate to
check tickets.As a man approached, she extended
her hand for the ticket, and he opened his trench coat and flashed her.
Without missing a beat she said, "Sir, I need to see your ticket, not your
stub."

Snappy Answer #2 A lady was picking through the
frozen turkeys at the grocery store, but couldn't find one big enough
for her family. She asked a stock boy, "Do these turkeys get any
bigger?" The stock boy replied, "No ma'am, they're dead."

Snappy Answer #3
The cop got out of his car and the kid who was stopped for
speeding rolled down his window. "I've been waiting for you all day,"
the cop said. The kid replied, "Yeah, well I got here as fast as I
could." When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on
his way without a ticket.

Snappy Answer #4
A crowded United Airlines flight was canceled. A single
agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travelers.
Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk.
He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, "I HAVE to
be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS." The agent replied,
I'm sorry sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to
help these folks first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."
The passenger was unimpressed.
He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU
HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?" Without hesitating, the agent
smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. "May I have your
attention please," she began her voice heard clearly throughout the
terminal. "We have a passenger here at Gate14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS.
If anyone can help him find his identity,please come to Gate 14." With the
folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the
man glared at the United agent, gritted his teeth and swore. "F*** you!"
Without flinching she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll
have to get in line for that, too."

And the VERY BEST snappy answer....

Snappy Answer #5
THE TEACHER Snappy Answer OF THE YEAR
A college teacher reminds the class of tomorrow's final
exam."Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for
you not being here tomorrow.I might consider a nuclear attack or a
serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family
but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever! A smart-ass guy in the back of
the room raised his hand and asks, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I
was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?" The entire class
does its best to stifle their laughter and snickering.
When silence is restored, the teacher smiles sympathetically at the
student, shakes her head, and sweetly says, "Well, I guess
you'd have to write the exam with your other hand.

On a serious note...I MISS TAMPA AND THE PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES THAT I WORKED WITH....THE CLOSING NEVER SHOULD OF HAPPENED. BUT I BELIEVE WE BRUISED SEIGELS' EGO ON THAT DAY IN THAT BREAKROOM BY TELLING HIM THE TRUTH AND WE HAVE PERSONALLY PAID THE PRICE, BUT SO HAS THE "COMPANY". SIEGEL WILL BE DONE WITH TAMPA IF HE CAN GET THE DISMISSAL OF THE WARN ACT IN COURT, and maybe it will heal his ego. :rolleyes: SO BE IT...
The funny thing is that what we discussed in the breakroom that day has come into fruition..coming back to ask for more money from us, continued mismanagement, etc., etc.

700UW said:
Go ask some of the rampers at JB, they are not treated well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is classic!!!!!! :up: WHY?? because the rampers are probably, actually paid what they are worth ??? It should not be a CAREER choice to throw baggage into a cargo pit. I guess we will hear that infamous phrase next...... Everyone DESERVES a "living wage"!!!!!!!!! :D AGAIN!!!!!! MY trusty pic!! :angry:

If there was no union, the MidAtlantic folks would be loading up an A330 right now, and the senior folks would at home watching the soaps and arguing with unemployment. Be careful what you wish for. Last in, first out is a union only thing. Anywhere else in the world than our thankfully unionized world, the cheapest, youngest, prettiest, most productive and least likely to rock the boat would be working, not the people who have been there the longest.

Rampers, get hurt more then mechanics, and a tug slug does a lot of "real" mechanic work.

You lift 400lbs Human remains or have to be squatting unloading or loading bags that weigh 75lbs, ask the jetblue rampers what happened at JFK when the belt loaders break? They make them load and unload using a ladder, real safe!

You know where you can take your elitist attitude!

Here is a pic for you:

700UW said:
Rampers, get hurt more then mechanics, and a tug slug does a lot of "real" mechanic work.

You lift 400lbs Human remains or have to be squatting unloading or loading bags that weigh 75lbs, ask the jetblue rampers what happened at JFK when the belt loaders break? They make them load and unload using a ladder, real safe!

You know where you can take your elitist attitude!

Here is a pic for you:
PU...LEEEESE, 700!!!! You are a funny dude!!!!!!!!!!! Elitist attitude???? Because common sense prevails over your archaic, worn out thinking????

NeedForSpeedNFS said:
because the rampers are probably, actually paid what they are worth ??? It should not be a CAREER choice to throw baggage into a cargo pit.
Elitist statement!

Go see this man if you need an explanation

Bob, I am not a ramp service. But I know many of them, it is not easy unloading 10,000lbs of bags and cargo and then loading it in 45 minutes

Bob, you are correct, but aviation gets in someone's blood, you turn around and you have 20+ years with a company and it is hard to start over unless forced, and it is hard to get the same compensation out there in another field when you are a newbie.

Many people are talented out here and have other skills, and will be ok, it will be hard, but I for one won't lett dave2 screw me over and I will fight for my rights under my CBA and try to prevent the mismanagement of this fine company to continue.

Back