The outside world

Us/boston

Advanced
Sep 12, 2004
Hey everyone. Just wanted to drop a line from someone that decided to throw it in and see what I could do on the outside world. I was a f/A for U for 20 years. 23 years total in the airline industry. I took the last buyout. Got lucky and took a job with the Massachusettes Bay transportation Authority. Still moving people. Its in my blood. Worked hard and drove a subway train for 2 years. I just got a promotion after 22 months. I have worked harder in the past 22 months then I ever have in my life. Put up with more crap from people and other employees. I miss flying like crazy but my new position pays 80k. Not including overtime. Should make
100k next year. Its not all about the money but it sure is nice. Its out there if you want it but man flying was fun. The real world is harder than I thought it would be. Anyone else throw it in and start over. Would love to hear some stories. Miss you all and wish you the best. No one talks about there life in the outside world. Could use a good jumpseat therapy session.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the update, glad it's going well. Just curious were you able to keep your flight benefits ?
No. Missed it by 2 years. They had a formula that your seniority and your age had to add up to 45. I was only 22 when I started. People in my class that were older than me got to keep there travel pass. I will always regret having to give them up. I called and tried to argue my case but they said flat out NO. It was a risk after all those years but I did the right thing.

great story esp the $$$$..
For that amount I could up with the BS. I would have to be concerned about health care.

been searching for year a half, not a thing.

I believe Im destined to croak at US.

Land of the misfit managers. Health care is tough to come by these days. Wench1 , feel for you.

One thing I'd suggest to anyone that had a defined benefit pension terminated is to look into retiring. Call the PBGC and ask what your benefit would be if you retired from US on a certain date - they'll tell you over the phone. Along with the PBGC payments comes the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC). It normally pays 65% of your health insurance premium (you and spouse/family if they don't have access to their own through an employer), but is currently 80% as part of the stimulus package. I'm currently paying about the same as the 2010 pilot cost for a $4,000/month policy.

That will give you a pretty good idea of what you'll get automatically just by retiring from US. For most employees that qualify, it won't be enough to live on but as a supplement to income from another job it's worth considering. Besides, that phone call to the PBGC doesn't limit your options at all.

Jim

great story esp the $$$$..
For that amount I could up with the BS. I would have to be concerned about health care.

been searching for year a half, not a thing.

I believe Im destined to croak at US.
Thanks. Hang in there. Clearly its not the best time to be looking for a job but take a look at City or State jobs where you live. The health care they offer is top of the line. Keep an open mind. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would drive a subway train and start climbing the corporate ladder. I was not really looking to leave Usairways but at the MBTA they have a lottery system just to get an interview. I put my name on the list and just got lucky. There are a lot of ex airline people at the MBTA. I would like to say I love this job like I did my airline job but can't. Its a great job. I look at it this way. The first time I married for love. The second time I married for the money:)

Jim, thank s but I called months ago.
A whopping total of 159.00 A MONTH~

Yes, I also inquired about the HCTC..

Im still searching till one day....then its buhbye

That's why I said "look into retiring" instead of "retire". The retirement from US gig won't work for everybody.

Jim

When I was furloughed I had to work a few real world jobs and it was awful. It's hard to do 9-5 once you've got flying in your blood.

It's hard to do 9-5 once you've got flying in your blood.

That's very true....at least a few years ago.... Now a 9-5 job seems like a short duty day with the weekends off. We are flying so much now to make up for the pay cuts - that we have about the same amount of days off as if you did work a 9-5 MON-FRI. Don't know if a 9-5 is NOW going to pay better or have better benefits now that the economy is in the tank - but when it turns around and again the ability of having a weekend off without an act of congress with 20+ years..... call me a vapor trail.

Flying is better - but to what extent anymore? Passes? :blink:

Flying is better - but to what extent anymore? Passes? :blink:
For me, flying is better in every way except for the pay. Besides the flying benefits, US Airways' medical and dental are top notch. It's more comprehensive and less expensive than the benefits offered at my hospital which is a world-renowned teaching hospital. I work three 12-hour shifts in trauma per week and my days are always longer than 13-14 hours. It's a good day when I get to sit down for lunch and get a couple of potty breaks. There is never any time for a 'People' magazine, believe me! The stress level between the two jobs can not be compared, kind of like comparing the East and West pilots point of view on fairness, hehehe. I returned to flying this past summer and was so thrilled to step foot back on an airplane, doing what I've always loved. Flying keeps me sane, allowing me to realize that there is a big world outside the walls of my unit. Flying gives me a sense of freedom, knowing that I could literally hop on a flight to anywhere if I choose. I've enjoyed the continuous conversations with crews about mundane daily things and having the luxury to complain about the state of the airline :lol: . My other career involves emergency 24/7; it's exhausting on all levels. There is no time for pleasantries. I look forward to my next trip this Friday :up:

Hi all, I resigned in Oct 05 after 16 years in a/c maintenance with U. I did not have a job lined up but had enough in savings to coast for a bit (spouse's income would keep us going for a while, no extras, but we could pay the mortgage and put food on the table). I was fortunate to find that my mechanical skills were in demand, and 2 days after my last day at U, I had another job! Word of mouth brought me work and before I knew it, I had my own business!. I work as a mechanic/handyman, no weekends, no holidays, no nights and I am very happy. Yes, I do miss working on airplanes, but I like working on tractors, too. I just pretend they have wings. I like working for people (my customers) who value and appreciate my work. I work hard and do my best for them. I had been in the airline industry for 25 years, starting right after I graduated from high school. I never, ever thought that I could work outside of the aviation industry and like it, but I was wrong.
Good luck to everyone. If you stay with the airlines, great! If you choose to try other industries, that's great, too. It is possible. I do miss the planes, but it passes.

I resigned in Aug. of 03 with 22 yrs. and have no regrets. I'm still in aviation but I traded in the tool box for a brief case. The first day shift job I've had since A&P school. I still to this day miss working on airplanes and the people but I don't miss the bs, mid night shift or being out in the weather. Everyday I go to work its sunny and 70 inside.