The shortage is coming and not from bob

paul1

Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
http://www.airlinedaily.com/feeds.html#http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNEtvU04sV850ToROdw9ytBAbqOBLA&url=http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/6132827-418/lewis-students-land-jobs-amid-shortage-of-aviation-workers.html

The shortages could start late next year, Brogan said.

“They’re starting to feel the pinch already,” he said.

Brogan is already feeling an uptick in the need for his graduates. Someone from American Eagle, a regional airline, just contacted him to fill seven airplane mechanic jobs ASAP.

“What’s great for all these students is they’re all getting jobs,” he said. That’s the great thing about aviation, you can’t outsource it

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eagle is hurting. There is a huge churn right now. People are leaving for American, other industries, and even other regionals. Between the industry opening up and the constant threat of divestiture everybody is scrambling off the ship. It will accomplish their goal of reducing employee cost though. With the majority of mechanics at the bottom of a 12 year pay scale Eagle should have about the lowest paid mechanic group in the industry for a very long time.

Eagle is hurting. There is a huge churn right now. People are leaving for American, other industries, and even other regionals. Between the industry opening up and the constant threat of divestiture everybody is scrambling off the ship. It will accomplish their goal of reducing employee cost though. With the majority of mechanics at the bottom of a 12 year pay scale Eagle should have about the lowest paid mechanic group in the industry for a very long time.

Maybe, maybe not. Does Eagle have Flex pay in their contract? People used to go to Eagle and other small carriers and be willing to work for peanuts so they could get experience and get hired by the majors. Now the Majors dont require as much, if any, experience but the pay isnt that great anymore. So my guess is the few kids that come out of school will get hired, look around and see not much of a future and leave the industry. We actually saw that in the late 80s. AA had a Junior Mechanic program and hired kids out of The Acedemy of Aeronautics, after a couple on months of working nights and weekends several of them bailed( they couldnt see their grlfriends and could make more working 9 to 5).

Did you put in for AA yet? NYC is hurting for mechs.

One new hire already quit in ORD. Another guy with sometime went to FedEx.

Maybe, maybe not. Does Eagle have Flex pay in their contract? People used to go to Eagle and other small carriers and be willing to work for peanuts so they could get experience and get hired by the majors. Now the Majors dont require as much, if any, experience but the pay isnt that great anymore. So my guess is the few kids that come out of school will get hired, look around and see not much of a future and leave the industry. We actually saw that in the late 80s. AA had a Junior Mechanic program and hired kids out of The Acedemy of Aeronautics, after a couple on months of working nights and weekends several of them bailed( they couldnt see their grlfriends and could make more working 9 to 5).

Haven't you heard, Bob? Word's being put out by soupervision and their "bosses" people are falling all over themselves accepting offers for employment from American. Had a fellow try to tell me that a week or so ago - he was talking about some kind of job fair or something to hire new cannon fodder for the company.

Now maybe I should have been nicer to him, but I couldn't help laughing in his face. American's starting pay isn't great enough to give up 5 holidays as compared to mosr businesses, then have to tolerate a company and union that obviously have little (no pun intended) regard for their employees/members.

It's a crying shame, I tell you.

I know of a person working O/H for eagle and AA said 24 months experience before he could put an application in at TUL.

I would tell them to put in app's at Southwest, UPS, FedEx, and just about anybody but AA.

Yeah, him and literally thousands of other AMTs. Those 3 are the premier carriers to work for in comml aviation.
Trust me, they have no problem attracting heavily experienced mechanics.

Yeah, him and literally thousands of other AMTs. Those 3 are the premier carriers to work for in comml aviation.
Trust me, they have no problem attracting heavily experienced mechanics.

Between the three of them, they employ only about 4,000 mechanics - dunno how many of them are licensed. And of course, they are the only carriers paying high wages to their maintenance personnel. Funny thing about them - all three outsource their heavy overhaul. Relatively easy to pay high wages when the work group is very small.

Between the three of them, they employ only about 4,000 mechanics - dunno how many of them are licensed. And of course, they are the only carriers paying high wages to their maintenance personnel. Funny thing about them - all three outsource their heavy overhaul. Relatively easy to pay high wages when the work group is very small.

There is certainly a flaw in the "strength in numbers" philosophy.

Reactions: 1 person
There is certainly a flaw in the "strength in numbers" philosophy.
Is that why there are so many members of management? I would call it stacking the deck. Manage this and manage that, there have never been so many levels of management to run one hangar of greedy mechanics. It would seem that any attempt to manage only creates disconent.

How do you explain the wages at DL, UA, USair....all members of the " Let's go bankrupt, screw the employees and get rid of overhaul" club?

They shed their overhaul, went bankrupt....How do you explain THEIR wages...no where near those at SWA, UPS and FEDEX?

Must be the management teams!

How do you explain the wages at DL, UA, USair....all members of the " Let's go bankrupt, screw the employees and get rid of overhaul" club?

They shed their overhaul, went bankrupt....How do you explain THEIR wages...no where near those at SWA, UPS and FEDEX?

Must be the management teams!

You arent supposed to bring that up because it doesnt support their arguement. I heard the same thing when I first got into office, never did get an answer. The fact is that SWA, UPS and Fed Ex all pay "Market Rates". DL, UA, USair and AA have all been working off "BK set rates", even though AA did not go BK and have been maintaining staff with layoffs and siphoning off mechanics from their regionals.

787Nightmare is right, UPS and SWa could get as many mechanics as they want, they could take them from other carriers. If SWA opened up maint in ISP I'd try and be the first on line and would not think twice about walking away from 25 years.

Go to www.pal1976.org. Under Local News click on Bids & Awards. Then click to view Bids and Awards. example of Awards, CLT bid 15 mechanic positions but filled only one. Check it twice a week, you'd be amazed. US/AWA can't even get mech's to bid Lead Mech positions.