US Airways cutting 52 employees at IND

Crash Pad DCA

Senior
Mar 6, 2011
DCA
www.flickr.com
US Airways Group Inc. will permanently lay off 52 fleet-service employees at its facility at Indianapolis International Airport, the Phoenix-based airline said in a notice to the state of Indiana.

The notice, posted on the Indiana Department of Workforce Development website Monday, said the job cuts are effective Jan. 9.

They include 30 full-time and 17 part-time fleet service workers, in addition to five full-time “lead” workers.

A company spokewoman said only 38 employees will be left at the facility after the cuts.

US Airways’ facility is located within the airport at 7800 Col. H. Weir Cook Memorial Drive.

Article here

US Airways Group Inc. will permanently lay off 52 fleet-service employees at its facility at Indianapolis International Airport, the Phoenix-based airline said in a notice to the state of Indiana.

The notice, posted on the Indiana Department of Workforce Development website Monday, said the job cuts are effective Jan. 9.

They include 30 full-time and 17 part-time fleet service workers, in addition to five full-time “lead” workers.

A company spokewoman said only 38 employees will be left at the facility after the cuts.

US Airways’ facility is located within the airport at 7800 Col. H. Weir Cook Memorial Drive.

Article here

Wonder if US bothered to tell the employees first? Or do they get to read it here first?

Reactions: 1 person
Wonder if US bothered to tell the employees first? Or do they get to read it here first?
This was announced a while back along with BUF, MHT, and 4-5 other stations out West. Let the outsourcing continue before the IAM can negotiate a new CBA, not that it would make a difference anyway,,,

Hey if it keeps us 99.99%ers still employed that is what it is all about, right?
I'm sure those 52 employees are feeling real warm and fuzzy about how nice they were having their jobs pulled out from under them....knowing how they are keeping the rest of us employed. I'm starting to think.......they are the lucky ones....damn them!!

Reactions: 4 people
Hey if it keeps us 99.99%ers still employed that is what it is all about, right?
No. When they end up closing PHX, I can just hear your squealing and while feeling sorry for all those who will be on the street, I can be satisfied that at least one ignorant pig is discomfited.

Easy to say if it's not you. I went thru this in 2005, and it's a slap in the face to have your job outsourced. They bring in the lowest bid vendor, who in turn hires a bunch of goons for $8 bucks an hour who could care less about anything. To make things worse they offer you a job with the contractor who is replacing your job for these great wages with no bennies. Being that I worked in a smaller outstation for many years, I can say for a fact that those employees are more productive and dedicated than any others that I have worked with. It is a crappy situation to be tossed out like trash by the company that you have done an above average job for many years. I still can't fully understand why this minority group of employees are the first to go given that there are LOTS of other ways to save a few bucks around the system. Anyone that works in a Hub or large station is aware of the wasted manpower hours that go on. It all boils down to the fact that the IAM permitted this to take place due to the fact that their only concern are those in the stations that they came from. It is a proven fact that nobody in CLT, PHL, or PHX really gives a rats ### about lost jobs outside of their world....Not until those people start showing up on their turf and taking their shifts, I should say...

I dont want anyone to lose their job, you do realize US filed Chapter 11 twice within two years, and you, the membership approved every CBA that permits the outsourcing of work, now didnt you?

It sucks, I have been displaced numerous times over my 20 year career, it sucks but it does happen.

I'm surprised that US had that many people still employed at IND - the mini-hub that US ran at IND was dismantled many years ago.

I dont want anyone to lose their job, you do realize US filed Chapter 11 twice within two years, and you, the membership approved every CBA that permits the outsourcing of work, now didnt you?

It sucks, I have been displaced numerous times over my 20 year career, it sucks but it does happen.
Yes 700, I am fully aware of this. You have brought this up many times over the years. My response then and now is the same as well. Those who voted for the CBA that permitted outsourcing, were not affected by it. Over 60% of the eligible voters were located in class 1 stations there were not subject to being outsourced. The term "Thrown under the Bus" keeps coming to mind...

Yes 700, I am fully aware of this. You have brought this up many times over the years. My response then and now is the same as well. Those who voted for the CBA that permitted outsourcing, were not affected by it. Over 60% of the eligible voters were located in class 1 stations there were not subject to being outsourced. The term "Thrown under the Bus" keeps coming to mind...

IIRC, didn't the Hubs and large stations essentially throw the out stations under the bus in order to save their hides? Also wasn't that vote right around the time the 20 some thugs in PHL got arrested?