Top 10 nonstop routes that SW should start

AirplaneFan

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Herb called me this AM and asked which nonstop routes SW should start (I wish he wouln't call so early). What nonstop routes would you like SW to start (of course we have to be legal under the Wright Amendment). Here are my choices

DTW --- BWI
DAL --- BHM
ORF --- MDW
ALB --- MDW
BUF --- MDW
AUS --- MDW
BNA --- STL
JAX --- PBI
SLC --- MDW
IAH --- BWI

Anyone have other suggestions?

Some suggestions for Herb:

MSY-MDW
DAL-BHM
DTW-BWI
CMH-MCI
BDL-MCI
BNA-STL
RDU-STL
IND-STL (I know this route was discontined after 9/11/01, but it deserves another chance.)
TUL-MDW
OKC-MDW

How about anything to Newark airport from California, Florida, Nashville, DTW, MDW, Las Vegas, Arizona or Texas. How can SW NOT SERVE NEW YORK, Long Island McCarther doesn''t serve NYC at all. If they can fly to LAX they can do EWR or JFK. SW fabled turnaround times can''t be too efficient at international airports with 4 runways( LAX or JFK type airports) but the trafiic they generate is too large to ignore.

----------------
On 6/7/2003 5:36:39 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

But personally I''d like to see DTW-BWI and DTW-CLE.

----------------​

No problem with the first one, but the second one''s just too short.
Same reason you don''t see them flying LAX-SAN, PHX-TUS, OKC-TUL, etc.

ABE-MCO
ABE-TPA
ABE-MDW
ABE-PBI

ABE would attract a lot of passengers who now go to PHL and EWR for non-stop service

How about SW expanding out of the USA into Canada?
Dedicate a few aircraft & crew solely for the trans-border service.
I think flights out of YVR, YYX, YWG, YYZ, YUL to BMI, MDW, FLL, MCO, PHX, LAS would work nicely. There are only so many secondary cities left in the USA to expand into. But personally I''d like to see DTW-BWI and DTW-CLE.

There isn''t enough O&D traffic between CLE and DTW either. Northwest and Continental satisfy whatever O&D there is, and the rest of those DC-9s and ERJs are full of connecting passengers.

My Top 10 Route Suggestions

MCO-LAS
MCO-SLC
MCO-LAX
TPA-OAK
HOU-SAN
HOU-SEA
DTW-BWI
MDW-JAX
RDU-FLL
FLL-LAS

BIG Rumor running around!! DFW is next!

Why should SWA fly to Canada & have to deal with Customs & the Canadian labor laws. Right now Vancouver is being served by SEA & Toronto is being served by BUF. If SWA wants to serve Montreal all they have to do is start service to Burlington, VT.