Transatlantic tonight

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
Whats up with Europe tonight? A bunch of trips have come open this morning. No French or Italian LO/DOs, they are putting non-lodos in the lodo positions. Why are so many trips coming open? Is there a sale on beef at the Giant Eagle? A special on the Home Shopping Network? Did they realize you can get the same wine and cheese at your local Whole Foods?

Its a junior night across the pond, hey hey!

The other night they had to ship CLT folks in to cover Transatlantic trips. And I am not sure about tonight.

According to the contract the LODO position is offered to Non-LODO flight attendants after it has been offered to all the qualified LODOs in that language and remains open. What cracks me up is the ATH LODO positions. We have what 1-2 Greek LODOS tops? But every day they hold it open until the last minute. Well duuuh, if you look up and see those 2 LODOS working just cover the freaking thing to begin with.
I say it's their own making. They should have recalled those 90 for May so they could be ready and online for June 1. But, they failed to plan accordingly. I wonder how many of those called out today will be greated at the door with "How did you get this"? :lol:

I always answer that with "I won it in a radio contest" or "I lost in a game of poker." Lady, how do you think I got it? They called me on the telephone and told me what time to be there. They act amazed, like we've been selected for a Pulitzer prize. Its not that exciting, calm down. Then they launch into an uneccessarily long briefing fit for a lunar mission. If F/As at other airlines could see what a big deal our ladies make out flights to Europe, I mean really...

I thought it always stood for Language of Destination/Origin. Is there something that predates our contract (history) of it being an "officer"? Not trying to be smart it might well be the truth I don't know.

EMB- Its not that special I don't care what destination especially if your on that 757 Etops thing across the pond. That is enough to send anyone right over the edge. They can take that thing straight to Sydney (if it could make it) for a 5 day layover and I would say no thanks. Yuck! The fascination is over for me to Europe. I like to travel on vacation and enjoy myself a few days. I will see Greece, Sydney and Prague...wherever on my own time.

HAHA, some of our broads and queens out west do they same w/ our hawaii's... it's like settle down... they act like it's some special 1st landing in and undiscovere magical land.... and because your RSV you should be so privledged... well duh!!! and no b*tch it's LCC ghetto service across the atlantic and pacific.

Why have a LODO anyway? I have travelled all over the World and most airlines use a pre-recorded Language of destination announcements. These days English is the most widely spoken language in the world. So forget paying a premium for a native language speaker and get Berlitz to pre-record the announcements. Is it a law of something?

NonRev- What do you mean why do we have LODOs? Continental uses 2 LODOS on lots of flights and sometimes 2 different LODOS depending the language needs of the city. All you have to do is try and board a flight or be running late without a LODO to appreciate them. Some flights they don't understand English and it's only respectful that when you fly in that country to provide at least one person that can communicate effectively with them. Plus, its about safety. If we have an incident the LODO will be valuable in helping save peoples lives that might not be able to understand exactly what to do.

Piney- Yes they do read these boards and maybe they should take notice. Our service is ghetto and substandard for the price. Sorry- the truth hurts so wake up and smell the rip off.

Our service is ghetto and substandard for the price. Sorry- the truth hurts so wake up and smell the rip off.

BA next week to London was actually cheaper in J class than US and BA's J class is lightyears ahead of Envoy.

As a college language instructor, I find this thread very interesting! Do your LODOs have to be native speakers or can they be near-native speakers, such as someone with a degree in the language?

I think it is a good idea for transatlantic flights to have a LODO. Although you are correct in stating that English is widely spoken, there are still many who may not have selected English as their second or third language. It is especially appropriate to have a second language speaker for emergencies. It is nice to provide one's foreign travelers the courtesy of someone who speaks their language and is familiar with their culture. I think it is a sign of good customer service in an international carrier.

i was a spanish lodo for a whule. and no they do not have to be native speakers. they just have to read,write,and speak the language which they are qualified in. the problem with the program is that we have a few not alot who can't do that .i serously have on idea how they passed the exam. we should have a bi-yearly requalification. once your qualified as a lodo your qualified for the duration of your employment. i also have a problem with just having 1 lodo on thw idebodies . especially the A330. they added i think like 39 seats to this a/c . that's a whole dash-8. they should at least add another lodo on this a/c . i have brought this up to the company many ,many time but like always. it falls on death ears. it's a money thing i guess. but it makes no sense. but then again, when has this company done anything that makes sense?

i was a spanish lodo for a whule. and no they do not have to be native speakers. they just have to read,write,and speak the language which they are qualified in. the problem with the program is that we have a few not alot who can't do that .i serously have on idea how they passed the exam. we should have a bi-yearly requalification. once your qualified as a lodo your qualified for the duration of your employment. i also have a problem with just having 1 lodo on thw idebodies . especially the A330. they added i think like 39 seats to this a/c . that's a whole dash-8. they should at least add another lodo on this a/c . i have brought this up to the company many ,many time but like always. it falls on death ears. it's a money thing i guess. but it makes no sense. but then again, when has this company done anything that makes sense?

A lot of that stems from the Berlitz score being dropped to 3.0-3.5 back in the 89-93 years? They were so desperate for LODOS they dropped the score for passing the test. Probable the same fro Greek LODO now as well I don't know.
your right as the A330 needs another LODO. They are doing way too much.

I agree that once someone tests to be a LODO, there should be a renewal process in place, and probably even follow-up language refresher training or courses, if the language is not your first language. If you do not use the language enough, you lose your ability. Even I as a teacher must continue to practice and take courses.