Transatlantic tonight

USAirways is a Low Cost Carrier - if folks need a LODO they can fly a High Cost Carrier. Its time to stop paying the F/A's the extra money.

As long as US Airways offers international flight service, it should have staff aboard that speak the languages of the destinations they serve, at the very least for safety and security. While more and more people do know English at varying levels of competency, it is naïve to assume that everyone is fluent in English.

USAirways is a Low Cost Carrier - if folks need a LODO they can fly a High Cost Carrier. Its time to stop paying the F/A's the extra money.
No, it's a Low Paid Carrier. They should change the stock symbol to LPC. I'll bet their costs are the same or higher than everyone else, except for payroll.

Some but not all LODO's are native speakers. One of the biggest reasons we have LODO's is because of the Customs and Immigration Forms that have to be filled out and we need these people to explain how to fill out these forms prior to landing. They (the forms) can be a little tricky.
Also, the LODO's are wonderful when it comes to customer service. I don't know what I'd do without them.
:up:
Very true. Not only is a LODO a courtesy to have onboard due to the language barrier for many people that are travelling (not eveyone speaks/ understands English) but Customs forms/Immigration issues needed to be explained thoroughly. Many Europeans are bi/tri lingual but some of the elder folks in those countries really have a limited command of the English language. Mexico, San Juan and Central America it is pretty much "No comprende, no habla ....". LODO's are CRITICAL! (And the A330 needs TWO!)