Tulsa AMT movement.

chilokie1 said:
I

In todays Tulsa World a front page story said AA & the city are in negotiations for an upgrading of the city
owned maintenance base, including a new test cell.
didn't they go down that road before? a sales tax increase the people voted down IIRC? 

topDawg said:
didn't they go down that road before? a sales tax increase the people voted down IIRC? 
They did but it was bad timing & poorly promoted. An earlier dedicated tax increase
for improvements at the base called 2025 will sunset soon, so you can expect the
city will promote it as a non tax increase bond issue.

chilokie1 said:
They did but it was bad timing & poorly promoted. An earlier dedicated tax increase
for improvements at the base called 2025 will sunset soon, so you can expect the
city will promote it as a non tax increase bond issue.
My issue is why doesn't AA put up some(all) money here? Delta is about to drop 150M on its new engine shop/test cell and AFAIK they are planning to fund it completely. 

I guess if the government is willing to do it for you then go for it, but i can't imagine that AA need more than 100-200M to make the needed changes..... 

Do you know if AA can modify the existing shops for an engine like the GEnX or if they would have to build an all new cell? 

topDawg said:
My issue is why doesn't AA put up some(all) money here? Delta is about to drop 150M on its new engine shop/test cell and AFAIK they are planning to fund it completely. 

I guess if the government is willing to do it for you then go for it, but i can't imagine that AA need more than 100-200M to make the needed changes..... 

Do you know if AA can modify the existing shops for an engine like the GEnX or if they would have to build an all new cell? 
AA does not have to up very much, if any monies for Tulsa. Tulsa will do whatever it takes to keep this work. It is not just the 5,500 employees quoted in the Tulsa World Newspaper, it is those that a addition or reduction could effect.

Buck said:
AA does not have to up very much, if any monies for Tulsa. Tulsa will do whatever it takes to keep this work. It is not just the 5,500 employees quoted in the Tulsa World Newspaper, it is those that a addition or reduction could effect.
It does make sense. Hopefully they get something worked out and you guys get Airbus work as well as GEnX, GE90 and V2500 work. 

not to slam AA but they don't seem nearly as committed to Tulsa as Delta is to Atlanta. The first thing that was said was Delta wouldn't even think about moving the main engine shop out of ATL. 

topDawg said:
It does make sense. Hopefully they get something worked out and you guys get Airbus work as well as GEnX, GE90 and V2500 work. 

not to slam AA but they don't seem nearly as committed to Tulsa as Delta is to Atlanta. The first thing that was said was Delta wouldn't even think about moving the main engine shop out of ATL.
They are already outsourcing to GE90. GE in Ohio takes them back to re-preserve them and recently AA sent a GE90 to an mro to have the fan and propulser changed.

Unfortunately writing on the wall from townhalls, they need more mechs at line stations and are looking at MROs in the USA.

bigjets said:
Isn't Taesl a RR facility? If so I doubt they would work GE engines. Plus we don't know what the lease agreement with the engines is. Does GE OH the engine? Also according to past townhalls AA is going to concentrate strictly on running an airline.

When a DWH mech asked about bringing back OH from HK to USA, I forgot who answered, but the answer was, we are looking to bring back OH to the states and contacted MROs! Didn't consider bringing back OH to TULSA. It looks like the writing is in print, some OH, nothing like it was before with 5000 mechs at TULSA.
Well thanks to that wonderful iron clad TWU language in our contract, more outsourcing is permitted than most realize. I doubt most people realize the strategy on the new aircraft coming on line. The time to that heavy maintenance has been drastically extended thanks to new technology, materials and time tested experience. There is no guarantee that when these aircraft come to that heavy check, our OH will be doing it. Heck, they may just turn these aircraft back after the lease and get shiny new ones rather than dump a huge amount of OH cash into an old aircraft.

topDawg said:
My issue is why doesn't AA put up some(all) money here?
Politics. Money. Take your pick. 

American Airlines is not only the largest private employer in Tulsa but also the state of OK. Would you want to be the Mayor or Governor that lost the largest employer?

You have to think of TULE as the first in a long line of dominoes. Once it falls the satellite companies TULE supports will probably follow suite. 

Simply put they don't put up any money because they know they have the government by the nuts. They use that to make THEIR burden the burden of the taxpayers. Then they give a little money to a charity and tell the public how they are all about the community while patting themselves on the back. Isn't that generous of them?

topDawg said:
I guess if the government is willing to do it for you then go for it, 
Just don't forget the Government is not paying for it..... the citizens of Tulsa are.

topDawg said:
I am sure they can modify it yes, however it would probably be more cost effective just to build an entirely new cell. 

Not to mention when you modify sometimes you have to compromise... when you build new you can design it to your specifications. 

What does it matter to AA, they are not paying for it anyway.

texasreb said:
They are already outsourcing to GE90. GE in Ohio takes them back to re-preserve them and recently AA sent a GE90 to an mro to have the fan and propulser changed.
ah okay. I just can't seem to find anything that shows AA has a service agreement with GE. Curious to know if they are under a OnePoint agreement cause what you are saying sounds like it. (and if so, how long is the agreement. 

We(DL) have the same type of agreement on the 90s. Basically GE does all the work, if TechOps does it it is because GE is using TechOps as the vendor to do so. 

thanks for the info. Any work on what is happening with the Airbus CFM56s? 

MetalMover said:
Well thanks to that wonderful iron clad TWU language in our contract, more outsourcing is permitted than most realize. I doubt most people realize the strategy on the new aircraft coming on line. The time to that heavy maintenance has been drastically extended thanks to new technology, materials and time tested experience. There is no guarantee that when these aircraft come to that heavy check, our OH will be doing it. Heck, they may just turn these aircraft back after the lease and get shiny new ones rather than dump a huge amount of OH cash into an old aircraft.
I'm not real sure what you want the TWU to do about TEASL? 
If Rollers isn't going to give you a license for a new engine then what is AA suppose to do?

Not only that but I am not sure what engine you expect Rolls to do at TEASL? So far there aren't any Trent 1000s in the US. Delta has the larger order book for TrentXWBs (and on top of that US signed those contracts well before TEASL was in the picture, so they have very little leverage here). Trent 700 is a dying engine.

And AA, at least right now doesn't have plans to operate any other Trent engine (500, 900, 1000, 7000)

TWU and AA focus, IMO, should be on GE and IAE/CFMs.  

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Politics. Money. Take your pick. 

American Airlines is not only the largest private employer in Tulsa but also the state of OK. Would you want to be the Mayor or Governor that lost the largest employer?

You have to think of TULE as the first in a long line of dominoes. Once it falls the satellite companies TULE supports will probably follow suite. 

Simply put they don't put up any money because they know they have the government by the nuts. They use that to make THEIR burden the burden of the taxpayers. Then they give a little money to a charity and tell the public how they are all about the community while patting themselves on the back. Isn't that generous of them?

Just don't forget the Government is not paying for it..... the citizens of Tulsa are.

I am sure they can modify it yes, however it would probably be more cost effective just to build an entirely new cell. 

Not to mention when you modify sometimes you have to compromise... when you build new you can design it to your specifications. 

What does it matter to AA, they are not paying for it anyway.
While i understand the logic, Delta is by far the largest employer in Georgia, still not asking for taxes to pay for the new shop. 

just different management styles i guess. (i don't think either is "wrong) 

bigjets said:
Not an over whelming show of support from AA about TULSA future, wonder what's being said to PIT and CLT.
They people of Pittsburgh hate Doug Parker.  Too many promises with none of them kept.

Back