AMT vs OSM

patriot00

May 17, 2010
I havent heard much talk about this portion of the POS contract. Remember the SRP in 95 and how small their numbers were after that contract. All so we could be more competative. Then came the transformation to OSM in 2003 and the numbers grew. We were told they will only be in non-essential shops and never on the floor. All to be competitive with MRO's right ! Who really believes we are going to compete or even do contract work on a job saving scale or profitable. Now they want 20% of title 1 at the bases OSM's on the hanger floor do the math people thats over 200 at AFW alone. That 2.5 docks easy. They will never become an AMT. And ask yourself why do you think there is no language on the Delta hanger at DFW. They want the same rules there too. You don't believe they would ever put these people on B checks do you ! People this is the final nail in the coffin of the AMT.

Reactions: 1 person
I havent heard much talk about this portion of the POS contract. Remember the SRP in 95 and how small their numbers were after that contract. All so we could be more competative. Then came the transformation to OSM in 2003 and the numbers grew. We were told they will only be in non-essential shops and never on the floor. All to be competitive with MRO's right ! Who really believes we are going to compete or even do contract work on a job saving scale or profitable. Now they want 20% of title 1 at the bases OSM's on the hanger floor do the math people thats over 200 at AFW alone. That 2.5 docks easy. They will never become an AMT. And ask yourself why do you think there is no language on the Delta hanger at DFW. They want the same rules there too. You don't believe they would ever put these people on B checks do you ! People this is the final nail in the coffin of the AMT.

Before I retire the OSm's will out number the AMT. Do you think the company will stop @20%? This is just a number to the TWU. They will still collect their dues. As long as the money keeps flowing in, the international could care less about this profession. Hope you enjoy the pay cut from amt to osm.

I believe I did touch on it in one of my posts.

If you look at how this TA is set up its meant to push A&Ps out of the bases. Currently many of the line stations are running short. The company has frozen, although they deny it, transfers. They claim that they are waiting for MCI to close in September, which seems doubtful because they keep shipping work in there. Lets say this thing passes. An A&P can collect his 6% then go out to the line and get the line premium. This could really affect AFW where a mechanic could transfer and not move his family. As they move out, either by choice or like how they were pushed out of the backshops like 1995, OSMs will fill the vacanies.

I think that one of the issues facing Tulsa is that the company has convinced the leadership of Tulsa that the members have to compete with what Timco and AAR pays their workers. This makes sense if your objective is to seek out and become an MRO, but I dont think that would happen even if you guys worked for MRO wages. Sure they may pick up some work, but your primary work would remain AA. Everyone seems to be forgetting that those companies dont sell their employees labor at cost, they sell it for a profit. So you only have to compete with what TIMCO and AAR would charge AA, which if AA were to dump 600 more airplanes into the MRO market would go up, howver if AA enters as an MRO the prices would likely go down, and then they would expect even more concessions. My question is, do you really want to jump into the MRO market? AA will be attriting mechanics faster than the fleet is shrinking, if they decide to start expanding again they are going to have problems, they might actually start to have to pay us.

There is no doubt that AA's desire is to rid itself of as many topped out AMT's as possible, as soon as possible. It's been said that "the big picture" has thousands fewer AMT's by 2015. It all starts with this contract. We gave them SRP/OSM. GIVE NO MORE!

There is no doubt that AA's desire is to rid itself of as many topped out AMT's as possible, as soon as possible. It's been said that "the big picture" has thousands fewer AMT's by 2015. It all starts with this contract. We gave them SRP/OSM. GIVE NO MORE!
I agree , please realize this won't stop at the bases anywhere we do B-checks will be affected. They want the same rules for the DFW Delta hanger as the bases. Thats is why there is no language about it yet , they know DFW you vote this POS contract down in flames. Watch for them saying they will settle this at a later date.

... snip

AA will be attriting mechanics faster than the fleet is shrinking, if they decide to start expanding again they are going to have problems, they might actually start to have to pay us.
You're smoking copious quanities of low grade dope, Mr. Bob, if you believe AMR will ever again pay its people a fair wage.

You're smoking copious quanities of low grade dope, Mr. Bob, if you believe AMR will ever again pay its people a fair wage.
I agree with you Goose. AA will not pay a fair wage and is one big factor as to why many of us turned down our recalls when the time came.

... Now they want 20% of title 1 at the bases OSM's on the hanger floor do the math people thats over 200 at AFW alone. That 2.5 docks easy. They will never become an AMT. And ask yourself why do you think there is no language on the Delta hanger at DFW. They want the same rules there too. You don't believe they would ever put these people on B checks do you ! People this is the final nail in the coffin of the AMT.
What is the exact definition of an OSM?

I agree , please realize this won't stop at the bases anywhere we do B-checks will be affected. They want the same rules for the DFW Delta hanger as the bases. Thats is why there is no language about it yet , they know DFW you vote this POS contract down in flames. Watch for them saying they will settle this at a later date.

Not just DFWH, the company at first asked for them on the line as well. They backed off, figured they would go for the bases first, then in 2014 or 2015, after dragging out talks for two years again, and everyone else is earning over $45/hr, they will throw a few bucks on the table and the International will tell us once again how we need to "put this in our rear view mirror and do whats best for AMR" .

When will you guys at AMR realize the TWU does not care about you or your profession? The only way the AMT's in this country will advance is for all of us to get into the same bus and go down the same road together. By being divided up in different unions at different airlines will do us no good. Mechanics for Mechanics, nobody else cares about you but you and the guy in the trench with you, thats it.

I believe it is overhaul support man or something like that, whats the definition who knows the they keep changing it! AA wants a permanent B scale and they have that with the OSM.
If you would find and post the current definition of an OSM, then lets match that with the current definition of an AMT. I have a feeling that your OSM definition will show that OSM's are AMT's If you are an A&P/A&E it is not the death of the AMT you should be worried about. It is the death of the A&P/A&E that you should be concerned with.

This info is enough to vote no on this TA, you also have the retirement medical to vote no on. Didn't AA change the line stations maintence tickets so they can run as overhaul bases a couple of years ago? Meaning they can have OSM's at the line stations. At ORD we're fixing A/C at the hgr with 6th days during the day, and they're not letting any transfers in.

It's been no secret that I have been a company guy, but I always like picking on the guys who speak in rhetoric or just complain to much. In this TA we're giving up an aweful lot, but not getting much in return.

Latest posts