TWA deal still seen as a win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bagsmasher

Dallas Morning News
Moderator's note: Please be sure to utilize only the link to the news article. This is to save on CPU storage space and to ensure protection from copyright issues.

I still can't click on the link. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Bags,

I think you're asking how to create a clickable link.

If so, here's how:

1) When you click the button to write a post, scroll down to the bottom of the page that you write the post on.

2) Under "Forum Posting Rules", click on "Ideal BB Code Overview". It will tell you how to do it in a pop-up window.

Hope that helps.

mAArky

Hmmmm . . . . let's see . . . TWA owned virtually NO aircraft . . and

717s gone outright

767-200s gone outright

767-300s gone this November. Don't hold your breath on seeing any "replacements"

757s to be returned to leasors in the next couple years (and I wouldn't be surprised to see them returned sooner after the new business plan swings into play)

Significant # of LLC MD-80s probably to replace AAL F-100s. These MD-80s could have easily been picked up from TWA's creditors/leasors after TWA would have had to closed its doors 2/00.

After discounting the MD-80s doing F-100 duty, it looks to me like all that TWA capacity "value" wasn't needed after all.

IF the economy and business travel had held up, AND the capacity was needed in the SHORT term . . . . . THEN the TWA asset acquisition might have made sense. It didn't, it wasn't, and doesn't.

I get a kick out of this concept of "ownership" put forth by some TWA pilots. . . in reality, employees don't "own" ANYTHING except what's written into their contract. When your company goes bankrupt or is liquidated on the courthouse steps and your contract is voided or emasculated, then you don't "own" hardly anything, if anything at all. If American goes bankrupt and is bought on the courthouse steps, if I get a job with new owners of American's assets at ANY seniority number, I'll consider myself LUCKY . . . . but then, I never worked (or wanted to work) for the wonderful and wildly successful TWA.

It truly amazes me that after all that has happened you still see absolutely no value in the TWA acquisition. And for anyone to blame the employees of TWA for its demise is also amazing. If it were not for the efforts of the TWA family, then TWA would not have survived as long as it did. The financial state of TWA was no indication of the quality of its workforce, quite the contrary. I am grateful that I am one of the few that has benefited for this and will always be grateful. I work very hard for my new company as I did with TWA. You continue to perpetuate the idea that because you worked for a failing company that that makes you a failure as well. Some people just like to stir the pot for the fun of it. As I see it the old saying -united we stand, divided we fall- applies. Whether you like it or not the acquisition has taken place, we're on the same team, so lets work together to get as many of our furloughed coworkers back as soon as possible. And for laughs, if the acquisition had not taken place how many more "native Americans" would have been furloughed. I suspect many many more.

The whole idea behind the acquisition (and that's what it was...NOT a merger) was fairly flawed to begin with. But anyone who would agree to take on a company's 2 billion dollars worth of debt should have their head examined! Of course, AA was just crossing their legs to keep from peeing their pants in hopes of getting TWA for one reason, and one reason only....to be able to say they are the biggest airline in the world (also the deepest in debt).

I still think that if AA would have held out on the buy out, they could have gotten away with dumping that 2 billion in debt on the bankruptcy court and not have been stuck with so much dead weight (read, disgruntled employees). Then they would be in great shape. All they would have had to do was demote 50% of their management heavy headcount to job classifications that actually do the work and they could have covered the whole sheeebang until they cleaned house on some of the garbage they ended up with.

The only way AA is going to be able to stay in the air is going to be to break those unions and dump that debt. In reading Don Carty's jetwire this evening, all one need do is read between the lines to see that he is forewarning everyone to tighten their belts because AA might not think Chapter 11 is such a bad idea either.

If United files, AA will be shortly behind her because they cannot have too many competitors out there hiding under the auspices of the bankruptcy court while they slash fares, kill contracts, stave off all of their creditors, steal customers and drive AA into the ground on their way back to black ink. The only way to compete will be to join the chapter 11 gravy train!

Just a thought.

I mentioned acquisition 3 times. I never said merger. There are a lot of digruntled employees from both sides to go around. A lot of the "debt" was from airplane leases that were renegotiated almost immediatly after the acquisition. I'll reiterate what I was trying to say. The aquisition is over, we work for the same company, lets work together for the greater good. The hatred needs to stop. Its getting old. Osama is the main demon here, not former TWA people.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 7:19:09 PM

I mentioned acquisition 3 times. I never said merger. There are a lot of digruntled employees from both sides to go around. A lot of the "debt" was from airplane leases that were renegotiated almost immediatly after the acquisition. I'll reiterate what I was trying to say. The aquisition is over, we work for the same company, lets work together for the greater good. The hatred needs to stop. Its getting old. Osama is the main demon here, not former TWA people.
----------------
Well its the former TWA people with the screw in there wings, law suits against the company and APFA. Now the letter TWAers are putting out. Involving the customer in all this, is really sinking to new lows. It seems some former TWer's wont be happy until AA suffers the fate TW did.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 6:14:23 PM

The whole idea behind the acquisition (and that's what it was...NOT a merger) was fairly flawed to begin with.
----------------

Today it is OK to say the idea was flawed, BUT, what if the UA/US deal was approved, the economy was booming and 9/11 never occurred, would you be saying how AMR was 'fairly flawed' in not acquiring TW? You would probably be ranting how bad AMR / Carty is in letting UAL become the biggest in the world, etc., etc., etc.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 6:14:23 PM

.........In reading Don Carty's jetwire this evening, all one need do is read between the lines to see that he is forewarning everyone to tighten their belts because AA might not think Chapter 11 is such a bad idea either.
If United files, AA will be shortly behind her because they cannot have too many competitors out there hiding under the auspices of the bankruptcy court .........
----------------

I don't know if Chapter 11 is such a great idea. On one hand, it can lower labor costs reduce/restructure debt and get out of expensive contracts. One negative that I see is that as soon as AA does chapter 11 it will be all over the news, world wide, and unfortunately, the way that the news is reported is these days, most people will understand that AA is bankrupt. They may not understand that they are operating as usual except they are restructuring under the protection of chpt. 11. Also, there is the negative image of traveling on a bankrupt airline. What about AA/AMR credit rating once they do chapter 11? Is chapter 11 really worth it for AA at this time?

----------------
On 8/20/2002 7:32:03 PM

----------------
On 8/20/2002 7:19:09 PM

----------------
Well its the former TWA people with the screw in there wings, law suits against the company and APFA. Now the letter TWAers are putting out. Involving the customer in all this, is really sinking to new lows. It seems some former TWer's wont be happy until AA suffers the fate TW did.
----------------

oh puhleeze mikey, to say that the TWA folks want AA to suffer the fate that TWA did is pure scare tactics on your part and shows that you have drunk, and continue to do so, way too much kool-aid. It's time that you seek rehab. for your kool-aid dependency. CAN WE HAVE AN INTERVENTION HERE!!! [:p]

All they want is a little justice and fairness that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.