TWU Fighting to take away your rights?

----------------
On 6/27/2003 1:31:06 PM MCI transplant wrote:

Thank you! So it''s been a while! Do you feel this generation has the backbone to Strike? If warrented? I know I have my oppinon!

----------------

What generation do you mean?

The 45 to 65 year olds, who once walked the picket line when they were young but have surrendered ever since because its "better to live to fight another day"?

The 35 to 45 year olds that never knew anything but surrender since that what was passed on to them?

Or those under 35 who have no idea what a union is because even though they pay dues they never really saw a union.

The fact is the leaders have failed, not the members, regardless of age. All generations have resolved themselves to the fact that there is little chance of our unions leading us like they once did. Unions have become a business, and disruptions are bad for business, todays union leaders are primarily concerned with one thing- Dues. Dues that enable bus drivers, baggage handlers and other common workers with a high school education to live like executives with six figure salaries, free cars, expense accounts, no time clock etc.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 2:40:10 PM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------

Thank you! So it''s been a while! Do you feel this generation has the backbone to Strike? If warrented? I know I have my oppinon!

----------------

The 45 to 65 year olds, who once walked the picket line when they were young but have surrendered ever since because its "better to live to fight another day"?

The 35 to 45 year olds that never knew anything but surrender since that what was passed on to them?

Or those under 35 who have no idea what a union is because even though they pay dues they never really saw a union.

The fact is the leaders have failed, not the members, regardless of age. All generations have resolved themselves to the fact that there is little chance of our unions leading us like they once did. Unions have become a business, and disruptions are bad for business, todays union leaders are primarily concerned with one thing- Dues. Dues that enable bus drivers, baggage handlers and other common workers with a high school education to live like executives with six figure salaries, free cars, expense accounts, no time clock etc.

----------------​
According to the TWU/AA contract Article 33 is a No Strike No lock out clause. I am aware that this is generally believed to be of use only during the term of the existing contract and that possible during negotiations the real right to strike can be used. However given the history of the TWU and that the Railway Labor Act contracts are for ever flowing documents, I doubt that the TWU will ever strike again.

----------------
On 6/27/2003 3:55:24 PM Buck wrote:

According to the TWU/AA contract Article 33 is a No Strike No lock out clause. I am aware that this is generally believed to be of use only during the term of the existing contract and that possible during negotiations the real right to strike can be used. However given the history of the TWU and that the Railway Labor Act contracts are for ever flowing documents, I doubt that the TWU will ever strike again.

----------------​
Well under Jim Little we will certainly never see a strike, unless the company decides to terminate check-off.

But I would not say that the "TWU" would never strike. Local 100 came close to a strike last December. They made modest gains in wages and some major language improvements. Its hard to believe that they are the same union. The Transit authority claimed that they were broke, the union said they were full of it and did not back off. A month or two back it was revealed that Local 100 was right. Kerrigan reportedly commented that they got "Snookered" then the International put a full centerfold spread about how Little "saved" the industry in the union paper. They did not dwell on the fact that Little gave the company 90% of the terrible "Vermont plan" and gave away virtually everything that was ever gained by labor unions in one fell swoop for a five year term. This deal will likely outlive Kerrigan. How come a Local that fights and wins gets accused of being "snookered" but when their hand picked boy surrenders everything he is made out to be a hero? Obviously none of those guys have to work under the conditions he put in place. I think the labor movement needs less hero's and to get "snookered" more often. Given the choice I would rather have someone from Mass Transit like Roger Toussant fighting for us than someone from the airlines like Jim Little selling us down the river.

The scary thing is that Little is likely to be slotted for the top spot. The ATD is the largest division of the TWU with around 50,000 members. The next biggest is Local 100 with 36,000. The ATD will probably not vote for Roger since he is a black man who was born in a foreign country. Ive heard ATD members comment "I hear that that local 100 is run by Communists". It seems that these people would rather believe and vote for someone who wraps themself with the flag and sells them out than someone who is willing to fight.

Half pay holiday coming up July 4, eight hours for 4 hours pay, I wonder if any of those guys will be working this or any other holiday? I wonder what they would be writing if Jim had negotiated such deals for them?

----------------
On 6/27/2003 2:40:10 PM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------

----------------

The 45 to 65 year olds, who once walked the picket line when they were young but have surrendered ever since because its "better to live to fight another day"?

The 35 to 45 year olds that never knew anything but surrender since that what was passed on to them?

The fact is the leaders have failed, not the members, regardless of age. All generations have resolved themselves to the fact that there is little chance of our unions leading us like they once did. Unions have become a business, and disruptions are bad for business, todays union leaders are primarily concerned with one thing- Dues. Dues that enable bus drivers, baggage handlers and other common workers with a high school education to live like executives with six figure salaries, free cars, expense accounts, no time clock etc.

Buck ,

Are you one of the older workers on the floor who told us younger guys “not to bring in too many tools to the hangar because it would be just that much harder to carry them out when we got laid offâ€￾? Where you that “Union Brotherâ€￾ That took overtime the same day I was getting laid off? Do you just cut Gill liner for (even after a pay cut ) for $56,000 a year?

No wonder your union sucks---you are the Union!

----------------​

----------------
On 6/27/2003 8:57:55 PM flaptrack wrote:

Buck ,

Are you one of the older workers on the floor who told us younger guys “not to bring in too many tools to the hangar because it would be just that much harder to carry them out when we got laid offâ€￾? Where you that “Union Brotherâ€￾ That took overtime the same day I was getting laid off? Do you just cut Gill liner for (even after a pay cut ) for $56,000 a year?

----------------​
Am I one of the older workers on the floor, yes, 43, 19 years, but No I have never told a younger worker to do anything with his or her tools. If you have a problem making decesions such as these, then why are you in this profession? Can you not decide for yourself? I have not worked any overtime since before 9-11 and it is my position today not to work over time as long as there are A&P mechanics on layoff at AA. It would be a rare occasion that I would differ from this stance. I do not know what you are referring to "Gill Liner"??? And no I do not earn $56,000 a year. I earn $30.00 an hour and a little Crew Chief pay throughout the year.

As for your statement that my union sucks,

I am a Non-member of the TWU, I do not contribute to their cause and do not believe their type of unionism. I am an AMFA organizer and will never be a member of the TWU again. I am not of that so called union!

----------------​

----------------
On 6/27/2003 8:57:55 PM flaptrack wrote:

<

----------------​

Wrong! Jim Little, and Sonny (the $200,000.00/yr bus driver) Hall are the Union. And don''t forget it. 3200 members were unable to secure a PIN to cast a vote in this consessionary contract. Yet because they know what is best for us, WITHOUT FURTHER RATIFICATION, we took a 17.5% pay cut and lost 10 paid days off per year.
TWU Slogan:
An injustice to one is an injustice to all, but... An injustice to 3200 is NO BIG DEAL!!!

Sad!Sad!Sad! It seems in my short exporer to the TWU, that whenever the Company required, the "Union" has rolled over for them! This Company uses threats to the extram! The only way to respond to them is in kind! If, for whatever reason you are not able, or willing to do so, the game is lost! No wonder the TWU is known arround here, as the "Best Union a Company can Buy!" And please! Don''t take my post as being pro-A.M.F.A.! At the moment, change is needed, and they just happen to be convenant!

----------------
On 6/28/2003 3:24:45 PM MCI transplant wrote:

Sad!Sad!Sad! It seems in my short exporer to the TWU, that whenever the Company required, the "Union" has rolled over for them! This Company uses threats to the extram! The only way to respond to them is in kind! If, for whatever reason you are not able, or willing to do so, the game is lost! No wonder the TWU is known arround here, as the "Best Union a Company can Buy!" And please! Don''t take my post as being pro-A.M.F.A.! At the moment, change is needed, and they just happen to be convenant!

----------------​
Then maybe I should take your post as a requirement for a representational election?

On July 2 the TWU is going to court to fight for their right to impose terms and conditions on its members without their consent.

This is a sad example of how our Constitution has been subordinated to the will of unelected, unaccountable officials who have betrayed the labor movement. Officials who secure for themselves six figure salaries without the consent of their members while telling these members to give away even the most basic of benifits such as Holiday''s and Vacation.

Democracy, which was already severely limited due to the structure of our union (ATD appointments, lack of members rights to vote for International officers, no recall, complete control over the contract by the International etc) has been obliterated by Jim Little with the full support of Sonny Hall. Unfortunately the members, who have been robbed of a future have no recourse within the union.

----------------
On 6/28/2003 1:00:43 AM RUM@AA wrote:

----------------
and lost 10 paid days off per year.

----------------

Plus 5 holidays at half pay if the company decides they need the manpower, and dont forget the "maintenance only" half pay for the first two sick days at each occurance.​

----------------

----------------​
Do strikes work anymore? I think the last 2 strikes by mechanics were at Eastern and Continental and they were disasters! Management just put out the "Help Wanted" sign and were flooded by scab mechanics who wanted the higher paying airline jobs and could give a damn about other peoples labor disputes. I was working at a small repair station in Dallas when EAL went out and I saw plenty of my co-workers pack up and move to Miami to take scab positions. People today just don''t care about being a scab. Sadly there''s no stigma about being a scab anymore!

Then what is with the "Will Strike if Provoked" buttons, and "Strike Force-Dead Serious" with Skull-n-Crossbones, t-shirts, and other slogans at contract time?

Is this all another TWU farce?

----------------
On 6/29/2003 9:14:39 AM AAmech wrote:

----------------

----------------​
Do strikes work anymore? I think the last 2 strikes by mechanics were at Eastern and Continental and they were disasters! Management just put out the "Help Wanted" sign and were flooded by scab mechanics who wanted the higher paying airline jobs and could give a damn about other peoples labor disputes. I was working at a small repair station in Dallas when EAL went out and I saw plenty of my co-workers pack up and move to Miami to take scab positions. People today just don''t care about being a scab. Sadly there''s no stigma about being a scab anymore!

----------------​
Does that go for you also?

----------------
On 6/29/2003 9:14:39 AM AAmech wrote:

Do strikes work anymore?

Of course they do. Actually the last two strikes were at UAL and NWA, both were stoped by a PEB.Of course there are some times that are better than others but several factors make strikes today even more effective than in the past, if only we had leaders that were willing to at least threaten to use it. If strikes were not effective then why would the airlines have pushed for arbitration or why would Bush have issued PEBs?

Just as there is stregnth in numbers,the larger a company becomes the more vulnerable they are to a strike. While EAL and Continental were able to operate under the conditions at the time, neither came close in size to todays major carriers, other things have changed in ways that hinder an airlines ability to withstand a strike. One thing is security, 10 year background checks for all employees and the general shortage of aircraft mechanics that existed shortly before this latest downturn and is likely to return.

I think the last 2 strikes by mechanics were at Eastern and Continental and they were disasters! Management just put out the "Help Wanted" sign and were flooded by scab mechanics who wanted the higher paying airline jobs and could give a damn about other peoples labor disputes. I was working at a small repair station in Dallas when EAL went out and I saw plenty of my co-workers pack up and move to Miami to take scab positions. People today just don't care about being a scab. Sadly there's no stigma about being a scab anymore!
Maybe to you there isnt. But to a lot of us there is.
----------------​